Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

So much misinformation out there about bents

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 07:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Yesterday I was stopped on the bike path by two guys. The first one was a big man that wanted to know if my LWB bent was comfortable. I assured him it was. About that time a second guy rode up and heard us talking, and said but how are they on hills, and to get started. I pointed out to him that I had pretty much the same gearing that was on the mountain bike he was riding, and I demonstrated I could ride off from a stop on a line no wider than 6 inches. He of course had bought into the "conventional wisdom" but totally false information about bents.
Old 03-01-16, 08:02 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Yesterday I was stopped on the bike path by two guys. The first one was a big man that wanted to know if my LWB bent was comfortable. I assured him it was. About that time a second guy rode up and heard us talking, and said but how are they on hills, and to get started. I pointed out to him that I had pretty much the same gearing that was on the mountain bike he was riding, and I demonstrated I could ride off from a stop on a line no wider than 6 inches. He of course had bought into the "conventional wisdom" but totally false information about bents.
Bents go slow up hills because the old farts riding them go slow up hills, not because they're bents.
Old 03-01-16, 08:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by andr0id
Bents go slow up hills because the old farts riding them go slow up hills, not because they're bents.
And-----------------they roll past all the snot nosed young snobs going down the other side of the hill. What goes up must come down.
Old 03-01-16, 08:18 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Bents are slower uphill because they are heavier. I have been bent for 17 yrs and recently started riding my old Fuji DF. It is by no means a light weight at 34lbs loaded and is much easier climbing hills. IMHO recumbents are generally built for comfort not speed. It's tough for the lightest carbon fiber recumbent high racer to compete with a 15lb DF.
Just sayin'
Old 03-01-16, 09:27 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Yes, I too can't count the number of times I have been asked the question, "Are they comfortable?" as I lie stretched out in my lawn chair seat on a Catrike 700. Some day I am going to be a smart ass and say "No, it is way less comfortable than sitting on a tiny seat all scrunched over the handlebars."
Old 03-02-16, 07:36 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Some of the myths are perpetuated by us. If the only bents someone sees are ridden slowly, wobbly, by a white-bearded old guy wearing sandals, then that must be what all bent riders are like, and by extension it must be the bents that are causing them to be that way. Right???
Old 03-02-16, 09:51 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Some of the myths are perpetuated by us. If the only bents someone sees are ridden slowly, wobbly, by a white-bearded old guy wearing sandals, then that must be what all bent riders are like, and by extension it must be the bents that are causing them to be that way. Right???
Funny you should say that! When I started riding a recumbent a DF rider (and friend of mine, actually) told me that now I'd have to grow a full beard, eat enough to get a pot belly and ride really slow up the climbs!

Unfortunately I do fit the stereotype by being over 65 and wearing 6-6-1 SPD sandals .

He also said most recumbent riders are retired engineers but I'll never accomplish that!

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-02-16, 02:27 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
"He also said most recumbent riders are retired engineers"

More misinformation about recumbent riders. They come from all walks of life but because recumbents cost so much money, a lot of them are well educated upper income people (but not all!).

If I look at the background of the recumbent riders I know well enough to know what they do or did for a living:
Scientist
Medical Doctors (X2)
Construction Engineer
Business owner/Painting Contractor
Timeshare sales management
Retired military

Only one of us has an aerobelly. Only one has a beard and that is much more recent than his trike. All could belong to the 50+ forum
Old 03-02-16, 03:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

For good aerodynamics, fairings tend to be round in front. So round bellies are aerodynamic. (So says the theory, anyway.)
Old 03-03-16, 06:05 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
15 years ago, when I was in the Las Vegas bike club, I was the only 'bent rider in the club without a beard, and the 'bent riders were the only ones to ride in SPD sandals. And at our monthly club meetings, only the 'bent riders showed up in Birkenstocks.... But, several of us would regularly cruise along with the young studs Lance-wannabees, which would really tick them off.

I rode my Ti-Rush through/over the Rockies with no problem.

Now, however, the motor for my 'bent is not as fast as it used to be. I now say, "I don't have to ride fast, I just have to ride far."
Old 03-04-16, 08:07 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
"He also said most recumbent riders are retired engineers"

More misinformation about recumbent riders. They come from all walks of life but because recumbents cost so much money, a lot of them are well educated upper income people (but not all!).

If I look at the background of the recumbent riders I know well enough to know what they do or did for a living:
Scientist
Medical Doctors (X2)
Construction Engineer
Business owner/Painting Contractor
Timeshare sales management
Retired military

Only one of us has an aerobelly. Only one has a beard and that is much more recent than his trike. All could belong to the 50+ forum
Well I am a retired service engineer. I also am a veteran.

But I dont wobble, I dont have a beard, and in the summer time when I ride I dont have a pot belly. Lets not talk about the winter months.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-07-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-04-16, 10:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Ha, salt and pepper bearded software engineer with SPD sandals here. Plus I'm a randonneur so add fenders, lights, and reflective gear.

When someone asks about the recumbent when I'm on a long brevet, I point to Mr DF friends and say, "after 200 miles they'll be tired and hurting, and I'll be tired."
Old 03-06-16, 12:33 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Ha, salt and pepper bearded software engineer with SPD sandals here. Plus I'm a randonneur so add fenders, lights, and reflective gear.

When someone asks about the recumbent when I'm on a long brevet, I point to Mr DF friends and say, "after 200 miles they'll be tired and hurting, and I'll be tired."
What recumbent is good for brevets? I've been looking at alternatives to the cheapo Sun I've been riding and looking for a quality recumbent for distance rides (double centuries, etc.). Been looking at Bacchetta and other SWB's but want to explore other options before I buy.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-06-16, 02:05 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The funniest question often comes up on group rides. Folks ask tadpole riders if their bents are comfortable. Well duh! The tadpole riders are always sitting on their trikes because that's the most comfortable place to sit.
Old 03-06-16, 02:11 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
What recumbent is good for brevets? I've been looking at alternatives to the cheapo Sun I've been riding and looking for a quality recumbent for distance rides (double centuries, etc.). Been looking at Bacchetta and other SWB's but want to explore other options before I buy.
Spend an afternoon at a recumbent specialty shop. There are several variations on the recumbent theme and they all ride a little differently. You also need to consider how you are going to transport one with your car and where and how you are going to store it. SWB is a solution to those issues that works for many people. If I were riding a double century, however, I think that I'd be looking for a longer wheelbase bike.
Old 03-06-16, 04:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Heyyy, what's wrong with SWB for long rides? Admittedly, long wheelbase bikes have more room to hang bags and stuff; but folks do PBP every year on short wheelbase bikes, even lowracers. It's really a matter of preference; try various types and see what you like better.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-08-16 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 05:26 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Too funnay,,all this
Old 03-07-16, 08:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The funniest question often comes up on group rides. Folks ask tadpole riders if their bents are comfortable. Well duh! The tadpole riders are always sitting on their trikes because that's the most comfortable place to sit.
Your point is well taken. I am a member of the bike club here in Lincoln, and often help run sag stops. You dont have to have a very critical eye to see what happens when people ride up to the sag stop. DF riders immediately jump off their bikes, shake out their hands and start picking at their laundry. Bent riders OTOH ride up, stop, often stay seated use up the last of their water and then get of their bikes or trikes. Further the trike riders after picking up some goodies and refilling their bottles, go back and sit on their trikes while they eat their munchies. Say what you will, but comfort on bents is a good thing.

BTW my trike is a great destination ride. I like to ride it to bike races etc. Once I get there, I have a great comfortable seat to watch without sitting on the ground.
Old 03-07-16, 01:07 PM
dallascyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its always about the bike, not the rider, I've heard this countless times as I've blasted past the uprights in my velomobile. Of course, I can take those same guys down on the velodrome and a track bike because "[sic] I'm so much stronger because I ride a recumbent" (this was actually said to me) Admittedly, cranking a ~30kg velo up the hills with them does build muscles. <G>
*shrugs*

I think its more likely because I actually ride. a lot.

No beard, but I am a engineer or was, now I'm a recovering engineer and in the clothing business.
Old 03-11-16, 09:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

The bottom line remains that "conventional wisdom" has been so ingrained that there is a great deal of misinformation. This is always brought out since most of us bent riders always get asked the same questions based on that conventional wisdom. The biggest point is do you have to walk up hills? And of course the answer is with pretty much the same gearing as a mountain bike no I dont.
Old 03-11-16, 11:51 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know why people are so worried about how a bent compares to a racing bike. Racing bikes are unpleasant to ride in so many ways, and impractical, which is why it is a shrinking segment of the market while every other category is growing by double digits.

I rode bents for 6-7 years, arguing the same things about how superior they are. Well, now I ride a mid century French style Rando bike and have no desire to ride my stable of bents. I just love the rando.

One day, riding my Phantom, a woman looked at me most seriously and asked "do you get a better workout that way?", and I replied "yes, but only for my grin muscles".
Old 03-20-16, 08:13 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Funny thing about the beards, had someone mention that it was odd I didn't have one. Did study engineering, but never became one. Recumbents just don't look like what people think a bike should look like. People ask if it's comfortable, but maybe they are wondering if it's easy to ride.
Old 03-21-16, 07:38 AM
BlazingPedals

I think when they ask if it's comfortable, what they're really asking is, is it awkward to ride?
Old 04-02-16, 07:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by catgita
I don't know why people are so worried about how a bent compares to a racing bike. Racing bikes are unpleasant to ride in so many ways, and impractical, which is why it is a shrinking segment of the market while every other category is growing by double digits.

I rode bents for 6-7 years, arguing the same things about how superior they are. Well, now I ride a mid century French style Rando bike and have no desire to ride my stable of bents. I just love the rando.

One day, riding my Phantom, a woman looked at me most seriously and asked "do you get a better workout that way?", and I replied "yes, but only for my grin muscles".
Back in the early 70s during the gas "crisis" most everyone got a "racing" bike mainly because that was all that was available. The racing bike lines then hit a huge decline when mountain bikes became available. They took another small hit when more recumbent became available.

Now one segment of cyclist, the long distance cross country riders are migrating to bents for the comfort and the view.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-04-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 04:44 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Spend an afternoon at a recumbent specialty shop. There are several variations on the recumbent theme and they all ride a little differently. You also need to consider how you are going to transport one with your car and where and how you are going to store it. SWB is a solution to those issues that works for many people. If I were riding a double century, however, I think that I'd be looking for a longer wheelbase bike.
I started with a RANS V-Rex, which worked reasonable well as a brevet bike. Two SR series, PBP, an R-12, and a couple 24-hour races. But I didn't like carrying two size tubes, and carrying a spare tire on long brevets meant two tires. I switched to a stick bike - a Volae Team. It's served me well for a couple SR series, PBP, a 1500k, and a 24-hour race, all with better times than the V-Rex. If I had by druthers though, I'd have bought the touring model with clearance for wider tires, fenders, and disc brakes. But that's me, other people have other priorities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.