Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Old 05-17-22, 11:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
In the 1970's we used to ride dirt bikes, most of the time at least 25 mph there. We would run out of daylight before running out of trails.
Saturday I found a visor from a dirt bike helmet. someone stuck it on a small tree. looked new except that it was not w/ the helmet anymore. but it was also autographed. I took a video clip & was gonna share the photo in case it was anyone famous, but likely wasn't & I deleted it while editing. the only thing I could read legibly was "Hang Loose!"
Old 05-18-22, 04:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by autonomy
from P7
starting from P7 is an intriguging choice. doesn't appear to be convenient to an entrance road. I've used the West entrance & P1, or the East entrance & P4 or P2. P2 used to be my most used but P1 has caught up in my usage. how was it finding P7 & using it as a starting point?
Old 05-19-22, 08:03 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
starting from P7 is an intriguging choice. doesn't appear to be convenient to an entrance road. I've used the West entrance & P1, or the East entrance & P4 or P2. P2 used to be my most used but P1 has caught up in my usage. how was it finding P7 & using it as a starting point?
Sharp eye! The reason I started from P7 was because I camped the night before at Curlew Pond (drove there first, they sent me to HQ for my pass, drove back...). In the morning, since I wasn't sure I'd be back before checkout, I decided to leave the car at the nearest lot. If you're coming in on Rt. 3, the difference between P7 and P4 is 3-4 minutes. The cool thing about P7, I learned, is there's a walking trail that leads down to the cranberry bogs and Rocky Pond. I had my lunch at the bogs - and saw 2 dirt bikers emerge from the woods on that same 'walking' trail.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-19-22, 08:12 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
Sharp eye! The reason I started from P7 was because I camped the night before at Curlew Pond (drove there first, they sent me to HQ for my pass, drove back...). In the morning, since I wasn't sure I'd be back before checkout, I decided to leave the car at the nearest lot. If you're coming in on Rt. 3, the difference between P7 and P4 is 3-4 minutes. The cool thing about P7, I learned, is there's a walking trail that leads down to the cranberry bogs and Rocky Pond. I had my lunch at the bogs - and saw 2 dirt bikers emerge from the woods on that same 'walking' trail.
oh nice! how were the facilities? flush toilets? showers? clean(ish)?
Old 05-19-22, 09:54 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
oh nice! how were the facilities? flush toilets? showers? clean(ish)?
I didn't use a flush toilet but bathroom seemed OK, maybe a 4/5. One of the faucets didn't work and the floor was totally wet. Shower was pretty good, individual 'rooms' with a small lobby. There was water and some dirt on the lobby floor, I suppose par for the course. Maybe could've used a mat. Dishwashing stations were clean, drinking fountains working fine to fill up my water.

Campsites themselves were so-so, some nicely shielded, some on top of each other. Super quiet overall though, except for the frogs and the 3am owls, but those are welcome. There are more campgrounds near the headquarters, Fearing Pond, I believe. I'm trying to get out there more, both backpacking and touring/bikepacking, and this was a trip to test some gear and also do some 2-wheel exploration.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-20-22, 08:00 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Saturday I found a visor from a dirt bike helmet. someone stuck it on a small tree. looked new except that it was not w/ the helmet anymore. but it was also autographed. I took a video clip & was gonna share the photo in case it was anyone famous, but likely wasn't & I deleted it while editing. the only thing I could read legibly was "Hang Loose!"
You found my visor, thanks.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 05-20-22, 09:14 PM
rumrunn6

one could do a whole project just on the intersections. this double wishbone was amusing