Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Witcomb 1972, London or USA

Old 01-03-22, 07:53 PM
venture996

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Witcomb 1972, London or USA

A long time ago I was an avid bicyclist in the USA. I purchased my Witcomb frame in Connecticut, and it is still in original shape (I built it out from the frame). I believe it is from Witcomb London and not USA, but I'm just going by the decals. Just trying to understand what I have and decide what to do with it!

The bottom of the frame says DAVIS COMPONENTS, with numbers 62 63 and a serial number 955472.

Its got the original Brooks seats that I installed, Shimano Dura-Ace brakes and derailleurs, Campagnolo Cranks. Lots of memories, but my days of riding are long gone!
Old 01-03-22, 08:10 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23623729
Old 01-04-22, 04:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
The tires are flat on top, well near top... give those donuts some air.
Nice appearing bike, the off color fork screams replacement. Or a colorblind repaint.
The unexpected fork needs to be accounted for and images to verify the frame is not bent.
Probably 27" wheels, will probably require different brakes to fit 700c, there is some adjustment left, but not much.
$300 is my best guess.
Tall guys are cheap.
Old 01-05-22, 11:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The off color fork really hurts the value. Otherwise this is a really nice bike.

OP: what's the story behind the fork? Is it a replacement?
Old 01-05-22, 07:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Looks like they got it frame only and built it.
Old 01-05-22, 07:55 PM
venture996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The off color fork really hurts the value. Otherwise this is a really nice bike.

OP: what's the story behind the fork? Is it a replacement?
The story on the front fork is that 50 years ago I applied some varnish or something similar. I don't recall exactly what. Dumb move, but I was young.

Send like some of the components might have decent value. 3ttt stem, maybe cranks. Trying to understand options if you have any other feedback?
Old 01-05-22, 11:05 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,127 Posts
Perhaps @Doug Fattic could unravel some of this mystery.
Here is an old thread regarding Davis Components: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...were-they.html
Brent
Old 01-06-22, 08:00 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by venture996
The story on the front fork is that 50 years ago I applied some varnish or something similar. I don't recall exactly what. Dumb move, but I was young.

Send like some of the components might have decent value. 3ttt stem, maybe cranks. Trying to understand options if you have any other feedback?
That's such a nice bike. Yes you can maximize your return by chopping it up and selling it bit by bit. It is also a lot of work. That bike has integrity. Personally I'd sell it as a complete bike to someone who will appreciate it and ride it. That fork is just part of the story of the bike.

Where are you located? That matters in valuations. The paint is otherwise in great shape. I reckon the bike has a floor of around $400 in value given the components. I happily paid that much for a '72 Witcomb with a full campy group. The paint job was (and is) in crummy shape but the parts were in fine shape.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-06-22, 08:36 AM
venture996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That's such a nice bike. Yes you can maximize your return by chopping it up and selling it bit by bit. It is also a lot of work. That bike has integrity. Personally I'd sell it as a complete bike to someone who will appreciate it and ride it. That fork is just part of the story of the bike.

Where are you located? That matters in valuations. The paint is otherwise in great shape. I reckon the bike has a floor of around $400 in value given the components. I happily paid that much for a '72 Witcomb with a full campy group. The paint job was (and is) in crummy shape but the parts were in fine shape.
I'm north of Boston, MA.
Old 01-06-22, 08:44 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by venture996
I'm north of Boston, MA.
That's a high dollar town for selling an old bike which will help you sell it. Check out the local craigslist to get an idea of what people are asking for full campy vintage bikes. Those are often unrealistic but it's a starting point along with the info you get here.