Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque wrench for bottom brackets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 05:15 PM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

Bought this Calibrated torque wrench to install a BB into my bike. Turned out it measures the torque only when the pressure is applied clockwise. If I select the opposite direction the wrench ignores the torque preset. Not good for the drive side BB cup.

Did I get a wrong tool? Did I miss some clever trick to reverse the torque direction?
Old 07-16-22, 05:35 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Just crank it down really tight. Nobody really uses a torque wrench on a bottom bracket.
Old 07-16-22, 05:37 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Did I get a wrong tool? Did I miss some clever trick to reverse the torque direction?
Based on the pictures on the linked page, there's a little lever on the top of the head at the base. Flip it over to work in the opposite direction.
Old 07-16-22, 05:38 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I don't know if there is a way to get a reverse torque reading with that wrench but some of the other ones on that Amazon page say "dual directional" so you may want to return it for a more suitable one. However, beam-type torque wrenches are all dual directional, less expensive for similar quality and won't go out of calibration unless you bend something.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-16-22, 05:39 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Based on the pictures on the linked page, there's a little lever on the top of the head at the base. Flip it over to work in the opposite direction.
That lever just reverses the ratchet, not the torque reading ability.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-16-22, 05:43 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
It's a click-type wrench. It doesn't read torque; it only gives an audible click and tactile release when the set torque is reached. On every reversible torque wrench I've used, it releases at the set torque in both directions.
Old 07-16-22, 05:44 PM
alexk_il

Exactly. 👍

No torque related clicks if switch the lever. Great for unscrewing things but not good for controlling the torque with inversed threads.
Old 07-16-22, 06:05 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
You got the wrong tool - Draper's website shows this one measures clockwise only. You need one that works in both directions.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-16-22, 11:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Just crank it down really tight. Nobody really uses a torque wrench on a bottom bracket.
Pfft. I do.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-17-22, 03:11 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
The BB cups/shell are probably one of the less torque critical joints on a bike. I’d be much more worried about the fasteners securing the crank arm. That said, using the proper tool and process certainly never hurts.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 07-17-22, 08:05 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
The OP can just get an Italian threaded frame.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 07-17-22, 02:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Get a beam-type torque wrench. Those work in both directions and don't go out of calibration as easily as the pre-set type.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-18-22, 03:34 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Get a beam-type torque wrench. Those work in both directions and don't go out of calibration as easily as the pre-set type.
They don't have enough torque (40-50Nm) for bottom brackets. So it's either by hand for me or to get a more expensive one with the reversible torque.
Old 07-18-22, 06:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
They don't have enough torque (40-50Nm) for bottom brackets. So it's either by hand for me or to get a more expensive one with the reversible torque.
Beam-type torque wrenches are available in a variety of torque ranges, some well beyond 40-50Nm, eg:

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-29.../dp/B01CDJEAJW
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-18-22, 08:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Pfft. I do.
Ditto. And the 18-24" beam type torque wrench makes it reasonably easy.
Old 07-18-22, 09:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Another who's never used a torque wrench on a fixed cup. For the left hand thread ones, why? As long as your bearings are in reasonably good shape and you pedal, not coast all the time, your pedaling and the bearings mean you are constantly tightening the cup. I'm not super strong. I can get the cup tight enough with a 12" crescent. And too tight? Well I suppose you could break the base of the cup threads at the flange. Or rip out the steel threads. I'd love to have that kind of strength but my bikes might not be safe! Or, more likely, make it very difficult for you or someone else to unscrew it later.

Now right hand threaded fixed cups? Again, I've never had the torque wrench but I used to hang my Peugeot over my dad's bench vise, grab the cup with the jaws, then use the bike frame as my two-handed wrench handle. Avoided French BBs every since. Haven't killed a BB yet so I've never needed Italian.
Old 07-18-22, 10:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
I don't know if there is a way to get a reverse torque reading with that wrench but some of the other ones on that Amazon page say "dual directional" so you may want to return it for a more suitable one. However, beam-type torque wrenches are all dual directional, less expensive for similar quality and won't go out of calibration unless you bend something.
Yeah, that was my problem. I left my beam-style torque wrench in the closet where I store my bike stuff instead of in my workbench for some reason and some boxes shifted and bent it. Now, it's just a 1/2" drive wrench with a long cheater bar. Fortunately, it wasn't very expensive on amazon.
Old 07-18-22, 11:06 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, that was my problem. I left my beam-style torque wrench in the closet where I store my bike stuff instead of in my workbench for some reason and some boxes shifted and bent it. Now, it's just a 1/2" drive wrench with a long cheater bar. Fortunately, it wasn't very expensive on amazon.
I hesitate to say this given the tool we're talking about, but I suspect if you move the scale or bend the pointer arm so that it's points to zero again that it would work as well as the day it was new.
Obviously this depends on how bent it is, but beam style torque wrenches are remarkably simple devices.
One the lab experiments early in engineering school was taking a cylinder of unknown steel set up as a cantilever beam and predicting deflection at different force values. Basically making a beam style torque wrench. Even with the abused steel rods we had and not knowing the alloy we were well within what would be acceptable for error on common fastener applications.

Follow on notes for those curious as to why I say this:
There are only a few things that matter on a beam style torque wrench:
1. Length of the beam being bent. This won't change.
2. Stiffness of the being being bent. As long as the cross section hasn't been reduced the stiffness won't change either.
3. Where the pointing beam is pointing/where the scale is. Those two items are just static objects, they don't do anything when the tool is used. There isn't enough axial movement in the scale to get very far off, and you can determine where the side to side position should be based on the reading at zero.

The only thing that's likely to cause an issue is the joint at the head getting broken such that there is lash or play in the joint. This would result in an inconsistent zero position, which would be an issue.
The other thing of note is that it's important to put a point load, not a moment, on the handle. This is why the better ones have a handle that pivots on a pin. You need to make sure the handle does not touch the beam anywhere other than the pin when using the tool.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 07-18-22 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 11:26 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Well, you can torque the DS and get a good feel for how much effort it takes. Then using the same wrench and reversing it, tighten the NDS.

John
Old 07-18-22, 11:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Good point. The pointer was bent in to touch the scale as well as sideways, so I just figured it was toast as far as accuracy without testing (it does have a pivoting handle). I bought it to use for BB's but, like many people here, I just crank them really hard and call it a day most of the time (though 3 of the last 4 I've replaced have all been Italian-threaded, so this style is the only style that would give me an accurate reading).
Old 07-18-22, 12:58 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I agree that the accuracy and precision of the amount of torque applied to fixed cup isn’t critical. Wang it down and that should be good enough!
I have both beam and click type torque wrenchs for the times that are more critical. In the case of the beam type, one’s line of sight must (should) be perpendicular to the scale to be both accurate and precise. The click type doesn’t require this. The click types that I have are from Harbor Freight. Perhaps not the highest quality nor most accurate or precise but for Joe/Josie Home Mechanic, prolly close enough. I have a 1/2” drive & 1/4” drive that covers nearly all of my needs.
Or one could use Sheldon Brown’s Tork-Grip https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

Last edited by sovende; 07-18-22 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-19-22, 01:26 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Bingo! The click style I've got does the same. I can use it for removing bolts or nuts but it only clicks at the preset in the tightening direction.

You torqued the other side right? So just get a feel for what it takes to make it click and do the other side by feel. It'll be close enough.
Old 07-20-22, 11:16 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I do and have for 30 years.
Old 07-20-22, 11:19 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Bought this Calibrated torque wrench to install a BB into my bike. Turned out it measures the torque only when the pressure is applied clockwise. If I select the opposite direction the wrench ignores the torque preset. Not good for the drive side BB cup.

Get a better wrench.