Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheels BB backed out...how to fix for good?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 11:32 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Installed a wheels BB30 to 24mm outboard BB for a Specialized Tarmac last year. Put about 1200-1500 problem-free miles on it, and only noticed a problem when one day last week the chain began striking the front derailleur. Upon further inspection, the BB had backed out about 1/8-inch and was playing side to side. Because the NDS crank arm was locked into place on the shaft, the BB backing out had effectively compressed the NDS cup tightly up against the arm and they were now spinning in unison, so it was further unscrewing the BB with every pedal revolution.

Wheels customer support evidently does't answer nor return calls anymore, so seeking advice here on resolving the problem. Would blue Loctite on the BB cups be the most likely plan of attack? I set up the preload bolt at precisely the point where there is no side-to-side play, so the crank arm was not compressed up against the BB cup so tight that it unscrewed it...like I said, I rode it for almost a year before it ever started backing out.
Old 07-18-22, 09:36 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Loctite? No. Take the bb out, clean and re-grease and put it back in making sure it's tight. Don't overthink this.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-18-22, 10:10 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Take it all apart, clean out the shell thoroughly and check the threads in the shell. If its been spinning with the crank, they may be destroyed at the lip.
Its unusual for that to happen, so if everything is good, put it, or a new BB in with that fully seated. There is a torque spec for that but most people just give it a lite grunt and its good. Ive seen some not fully seated where people stopped turning them because it got a little hard due to the threads being dirty. Maybe that's what happened here.
Old 07-20-22, 11:24 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Use a torque wrenc to get the BB tight. Between 30 and 35 pound feet.