Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Full Suspension Trail E-Bikes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-29-22, 02:20 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts

I've been seeing more and more e-bike out on the road and on paved rail trails over the last few years. I had yet to see any on the trails out in the forest, that was until today. I was almost halfway thru my ride when I started hearing noises in this one section of the forest. I run into animals all the time so nothing to worry about. I decided to stop as the noise got closer only to find out it was three fellow trail riders. We chatted for a bit then I let them go in front because they knew the trail better and they were riding e-bikes and I didn't want to slow them down. It was maybe five minutes later that I find them pulled over with a peddle issue on one of the bikes. We talked more about the bikes, and I enjoyed learning about them. I later caught up with them in the parking lot and checked the bikes out in detail. Nice set-up and hey if it gets you out riding then it's all good.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-29-22, 05:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
modestly regret my decision to build out a $10k "dream bike" build last year (never add up your receipts ) -- as i am having issues with my knee crop up that will require surgery soon. Its just not fun to ride, although its a wonderful bike.

Bottom line, i could have spent 6k on a Specialized Turbo Levo and have another 4k to go towards my medical co-pay.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 08-31-22, 01:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yup! folders too!

you know you want to try one

but what "noise" mostly I think they are pretty quiet?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-01-22, 11:57 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yup! folders too!

you know you want to try one
?

I gotta admit - i dont think i'd be tempted too much
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-01-22, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I gotta admit - i dont think i'd be tempted too much
yeah, it changes the math. meaning, ok I can go faster & farther, what would I do with those benefits? if I couldn't answer that, I'd hold off.

I would like an electric (road) bike to help me ride around all of Marth's Vineyard in one day because I couldn't do that on my own
https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...al-thread.html
I would like an electric (MTB) bike to help me do the whole round trip of the Ashuelot Recreational Rail Trail again, cuz it takes all day & it might be nice to get it all done without it being so exhausting
https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...ail-trail.html

but I wouldn't get one to just do what I'm doing now ...
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-01-22, 01:01 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah, it changes the math. meaning, ok I can go faster & farther, what would I do with those benefits? if I couldn't answer that, I'd hold off.

I was just referring to little fat tired folders, electric or not

No - regarding e-bikes, i'm a fan -- as i mentioned in my first response, -- i really should have jumped off and taken the plunge on one instead of building up my last MTB. Have an aquaintance with a Yamaha dual suspension bike and he has stated it gives him great performance for $4500

the YT's the OP mentioned are in the $5500 range and Husqvarna has a lineup starting around 5k

Not cheap --- but really not crazy high compared to any higher end conventional bike build nowadays --- Of course the e-bike is going to wear SLX and Deore as opposed to X01 and XTR etc on the conventional build but who cares. ITs not like youre trying to save weight

Last edited by DMC707; 09-01-22 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-02-22, 07:14 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Every sign at every intersection on the trail systems here clearly state “no e-bikes, no pedal assist”

Something about Oregon law.

The trails are quiet and the people ride expected speed. I have no complaints.

Be sure to research your area before dropping any money.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-07-22, 06:34 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
It is a motorcycle, not a bicycle. There are separate riding areas for motorcycles for reasons. These electric bikes will just get trail access closed that has been worked for, for a long time.
Old 09-07-22, 07:41 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Thread moved from Mountain Bikes to E-Bikes.

Old 09-07-22, 02:37 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
It is a motorcycle, not a bicycle. There are separate riding areas for motorcycles for reasons. These electric bikes will just get trail access closed that has been worked for, for a long time.
Wrong! Go do some research,... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 09-08-22, 05:21 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Originally Posted by tds101
Wrong! Go do some research,... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I have done plenty of of research. I got my degree in Electronic Engineering in 1998 and have watched the technology evolve. 40 years as a motorcyclist and hunter have given me lots of opportunities to see land access be taken away do to conflicts. We are extremely lucky as mountain bikers right now, it is the only group that has had public land access and trail networks expanded in the last 25 years or so. Don't screw it up!
Old 09-08-22, 05:52 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I have done plenty of of research. I got my degree in Electronic Engineering in 1998 and have watched the technology evolve. 40 years as a motorcyclist and hunter have given me lots of opportunities to see land access be taken away do to conflicts. We are extremely lucky as mountain bikers right now, it is the only group that has had public land access and trail networks expanded in the last 25 years or so. Don't screw it up!
And there's your problem. You're stuck in an archaic mindset, believing that anyone riding an ebike is hell bent on doing what dirt bikers do. I ride ebikes to allow me to have the ability to ride the same trails and paths that ANY bicyclist can. And it's "assisted", not straight motor powered with no human input. A bike without the ability to actually pedal is akin to a moped, and I'll agree that they technically don't belong on trails, EXCEPT when a person with a physical disability is using it. I qualify, as I have Covid related breathing issues. I couldn't care less about a degree. Times and tech have changed, and outdated "opinions" need to be put by the wayside.
Old 09-08-22, 06:45 AM
c_m_shooter

And there's your problem. You're stuck in an archaic mindset, believing that anyone riding an ebike is hell bent on doing what dirt bikers do. I ride ebikes to allow me to have the ability to ride the same trails and paths that ANY bicyclist can. And it's "assisted", not straight motor powered with no human input. A bike without the ability to actually pedal is akin to a moped, and I'll agree that they technically don't belong on trails, EXCEPT when a person with a physical disability is using it. I qualify, as I have Covid related breathing issues. I couldn't care less about a degree. Times and tech have changed, and outdated "opinions" need to be put by the wayside.
What do you think "hell bent on doing what dirt bikers do" is? We ride to get places that are too far to get on foot. Entitled mindsets and breaking the rules, like you are demonstrating is what gets access closed to everyone.
Old 09-08-22, 06:53 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

What do you think "hell bent on doing what dirt bikers do" is? We ride to get places that are too far to get on foot. Entitled mindsets and breaking the rules, like you are demonstrating is what gets access closed to everyone.
So your boorish, elitist attitude of only non-electric bicycles being allowed on the trails, to get where you can't get to on foot is what you want? Who are you to decide? As long as ebike riders follow the same rules and regulations as everyone else, and are responsible and respectful of the trails and other riders, your opinion is irrelevant. And by "dirt bikers", I mean GAS POWERED OFF ROAD QUADS AND MOTORCYCLES.

Everyone should be allowed access to the trails, as long as the rules and regulations are adhered to.
Old 09-08-22, 07:23 AM
c_m_shooter

Everyone should be allowed access to the trails, as long as the rules and regulations are adhered to.
Exactly. A motor is a motor, no matter if is gas or electric. When the rules say no motorized vehicles, that is what they mean. Smart asses thinking they are flying under the radar because electric is quiet enough to get away with it for now is not ok.
Old 09-08-22, 07:32 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Exactly. A motor is a motor, no matter if is gas or electric. When the rules say no motorized vehicles, that is what they mean. Smart asses thinking they are flying under the radar because electric is quiet enough to get away with it for now is not ok.
OK, I'm seeing we might actually be on the same page. The problem is idiots trying to do things they shouldn't be doing. That I truly have an issue with. But we ARE self policing. As riders it's up to us, on an "acoustic" (manual &#129315 OR electric bike, to make sure we all do the right thing. We can stop the uneducated from destroying what we have, while showing others that electric bikes allow people who wouldn't be able to enjoy nature an opportunity they would never have had.
Old 09-08-22, 10:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Sorry to break your misinformed bubble, but more than half the states have mandated that electric bicycles (Class 1, 2 & 3 with different rules/requirements for each) are defined as bicycles NOT motorized vehicles, so your hooting doesn't mean anything. If you choose to break the rules and/or try to deny someone what is legally permitted, that's your prerogative. As stated above, it's the responsibility of everyone to watch out for others.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-08-22, 12:51 PM
c_m_shooter

I guess I should go get a new mountain bike then. I like this one.

Electric Motocross Bike | Stark Future
Old 09-08-22, 01:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fc_m_shooter
I guess I should go get a new mountain bike then. I like this one.

Electric Motocross Bike | Stark Future
And this is the problem with opinions such as yours. This is about electric bikes, NOT electric motorcycles. Your stance is all or nothing, and that's ridiculous.
"The most advanced electric motorcycle in the world"
Old 09-09-22, 07:04 AM
c_m_shooter

And this is the problem with opinions such as yours. This is about electric bikes, NOT electric motorcycles. Your stance is all or nothing, and that's ridiculous.
But it is the ultimate full suspension electric mountain bike. Why go for less than the best?
Old 09-09-22, 07:21 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
This thread has run its course.

Closed.

Likes For cb400bill: