Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Dawes galaxy year, components and value

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 01:33 AM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm thinking of buying this Dawes for the Araya rims, the weinman brakes and also the saddle, I want to use those to restore my Atala competizione, any idea what hubs it might have? what year? any info about this cottered crank and the frame, is it any good or just reynolds in main triangle?! seat post diameter?! I also came across some posts discussing sizing for this bike and how might be an issue, unfortunately, it's a bit large for me, I think I'm 58 or 61 at the max, this bike is 63, so perhaps someone who owned it can say something about that as well, cheers

Old 08-30-22, 02:04 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
@UnD3R0aTh

Seat is cool.

Brakes are` dime a dozen.

Rims ok but if old may not be, good, true, etc.

Frame, 531 main tubes, good, stamped drop outs and "claw" RD hanger not so much.

Crank, lower rung cottered steel, meh unless you love it, can be a PITA to work on.

Dawes are funny, kinda cool but these ultimately lower end. Maybe $25-50, just spitballen.
Old 08-30-22, 04:18 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
With that derailleur and the chrome"socks"(chain stays, seat stays and fork blades) I t is likely a 1974 model.
The 1975 version did not have a chrome rear triangle.

The rims are likely replacement, as this bike came with Weinmand rims( I own one, bought new - serial # W4050)).
Brake levers are replacement as well(appear to be Dia Compe) and calipers are Weinmann.

Mine came with Simplex derailleurs and shifters, but had shifters on the down tube instead of the stem.

I would be a bit more genreous about value- $90-125 in this condition.
Old 08-30-22, 04:06 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
The Dawes Galaxy was comparable to a Raleigh Super Course when sold new. However, they don't seem to get the same love that the Super Course does five decades later. Who knows why?

If you are just trying to get the wheels to make your Atala rideable, these would work but neither the Dawes or the Atala would have come with Japanese rims originally. I wouldn't buy an entire bike to get a set of Weinmann brakes with Dia-Compe levers. Those parts are very common and are priced accordingly most of the time on eBay. If you like steel cottered cranks, that Stronglight set is a good choice but most folks gravitate towards cotterless alloy cranks.
Likes For daka:
Old 08-30-22, 07:07 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 330 Posts
Since it sounds like this is a parts bike, I might be interested in the frame and whatever parts you don't need if the price is right.
Old 08-30-22, 08:12 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Mine has the same headbadge and looks similar. It came with shimano 333 hubs. The decal said 531 frame tubing, but don't know about the stays. It should be straight gauge. I believe I measured the seatpost at 26.0 with my cheap calipers once.
Old 08-30-22, 08:20 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
The closeup of the Araya rim doesn't match the rear rim on the bike which looks like a dimpled Weinmann.

Upon close inspection, the front is Araya, rear, Weinmann

I'm guessing the hubs don't match either
Old 08-30-22, 08:46 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Can't say much about the cranks but the bb and headset on mine were td cross.
Old 09-16-22, 01:17 AM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
The closeup of the Araya rim doesn't match the rear rim on the bike which looks like a dimpled Weinmann.

Upon close inspection, the front is Araya, rear, Weinmann

I'm guessing the hubs don't match either
rims look identicl!
Old 09-16-22, 04:00 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by UnD3R0aTh
rims look identicl!
No, they're different- just check how the rear rim has dimples at the spoke nipples and the front Araya does not.
Old 09-16-22, 05:45 AM
ericlowney 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
I have a very similar model (just older than this one) and it is the same size (24.5") as this. I'm 5'10" but I have a 35.5" PBH so I can ride it fine, if you are considering keeping the frame just check your standover and make sure you don't have an issue there. My biggest issue with mine was the reach, I had to change my stem to a tecnomatic short stem to make it comfortable for me. Mine does not have a Reynolds 531 decal and I've never been able to quite figure out what size seat post it takes because it's oblong... It was pretty heavy when I got it, over 32 pounds I think without the rack. The cottered cranks were not fun to work on and finding replacement cups and a spindle were even less fun. That eventually drove the new BB, crankset, etc. I will say it rides well, easily can take 32mm tires (maybe more), has eyelets for racks/fenders (but you may need to tap them to M5 as I did because I couldn't find hardware to fit) and I'm not terribly worried someone is going to steal it when I take it to get groceries or to work. I may still move everything over to a nicer frame later on (Miyata 1000, etc.), but for now it's a cool bike and I'm enjoying riding it.

Here's an update thread I did on it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...xy-update.html

Picture of the bike as it sits today:
Old 09-16-22, 06:38 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by UnD3R0aTh
rims look identicl!
Did you buy the bike?
Old 09-16-22, 01:00 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.