Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Raleigh road bike stem?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 05:11 PM
Ironbear
New kid on the block

Bikes: Trek Discovery, 1984 Raleigh Clubman (fully restored)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a long quill stem or a 23.8 extender for an '84 Raleigh Clubman? At 6'2" The frame is too small for me and I either need to be able to raise the handlebar so I don't keep getting a crick in my neck. I have it for sale at the moment but I'd really rather keep it if I can get this resolved.
Old 09-22-22, 07:38 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Maybe go through the required motions for new C&V'ers. Make 10 post over two days...either comment on other bikes or talk about your own.

Then post picks of what you like, become a member for cheap and then your can post a Wanted to Buy ad in the correct thread.

A membership is the best value in the Kingdom of Bicycles.
Old 09-22-22, 07:45 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 285 Posts
You could always buy a quill to threadless adapter which would open up more choices for longer stems and rise/drop

I did it on a cheap bike because it felt too cramped. I eventually added a stack of spacers under the stem.
Old 09-22-22, 08:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Nitto Technomic L225 Long Quill Stem

...they come in a variety of reaches, and are all extra long in the quill portion.
Old 09-22-22, 08:45 PM
Ironbear
New kid on the block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry.. I don't frequent forums and didn't know there were any requirements, It just popped into my head this afternoon to see if I could find one where the folks might know what to do. I'm far from a road bike aficionado, just a guy that wanted to ride one and as it turned out the one I got (on eBay) was a bit too small. I decided to restore it anyway even though I hadn't ridden it, and now I'm riding my old upgraded Trek Discovery instead. Anyway, thanks for your reply.
Old 09-22-22, 08:52 PM
Ironbear
New kid on the block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I've never heard of those but I'll check it out.. I was thinking about possibly going with a straight bar rather than the drop bars and your setup looks ldeal.

I'm in the desert too btw.. in Oro Valley north of Tucson. I also had a horse property with a block construction home on it in East Mesa like what's in your picture. I still miss that place.

Anyway, thanks again.. I appreciate you getting back to me.
Old 09-22-22, 09:00 PM
Ironbear
New kid on the block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...they come in a variety of reaches, and are all extra long in the quill portion.

Thanks. That will only work if I change the bars.. the old English bikes had 7/8" handlebars..
Old 09-22-22, 09:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironbear
Sorry.. I don't frequent forums and didn't know there were any requirements, It just popped into my head this afternoon to see if I could find one where the folks might know what to do. I'm far from a road bike aficionado, just a guy that wanted to ride one and as it turned out the one I got (on eBay) was a bit too small. I decided to restore it anyway even though I hadn't ridden it, and now I'm riding my old upgraded Trek Discovery instead. Anyway, thanks for your reply.
No worries, welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place and we're glad to help as you can see, it's a big part of what we do. You're going to fit right in, many of us take on bikes that are lees than ideal in fit, size and plenty else.

If you stick with us, we can help sort out most things, somebody here knows something about almost anything you can come up with.

All that said, we live for pics (or it didn't happen) and we often need them to really get after it and help.

You can add them to the gallery or an album on your homepage respond to all posts here or anywhere for 5 posts X 2 days for 10 to post here.
Old 09-22-22, 10:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Thanks. That will only work if I change the bars.. the old English bikes had 7/8" handlebars..
...if your bicycle was made and sold in 1984, check the bar diameter with a measuring device, like a Vernier caliper. I think you might be surprised, but I don't have your bicycle in front of me. By 1984, most of what you saw was either a diameter at the stem of 25.4mm, or 26.0mm (with a few leftover 26.4 Cinelli's). Anyway, that's the only one of which I'm aware. A 1984 bicycle rarely qualifies as old English, but I don't know what you have there.
Old 09-22-22, 11:00 PM
Ironbear
New kid on the block

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll do that. It's something I hadn't considered. What I know for sure is that it was built in the Nottingham factory during their last year of production before they shut it down and moved everything overseas.. and it was originally bought from a bike shop about 50km south of there. I had a picture of the sticker that was on the front downtube but I can't find it at the moment. I can't post a link yet but I put a series of pictures on my album page so I'll see if I can do it by breaking the link. I uploaded a series of pictures and I can't post the link but after the URL for the forum you should be able to paste this in: /g/picture/26505338
Old 09-22-22, 11:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,460 Times in 3,193 Posts

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/26505338
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-23-22, 02:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...just measure the reinforcing sleeve on the bar with a caliper. It it's somewhere near 25.4, the Nitto Technomic will work with that bar. If it's 26.0, or 26.4, you'll need to scare up an Asian made drop bar, in the correct diameter. There are a lot of them in the used parts stream. I have them on a lot off bicycles, mostly French ones that I changed out the stem. But they often fit some stems on 80's Brit bikes. If you buy a stem with the correct reach, you might be able to adjust your saddle position so your balance is more neutral on the bike. It's not the ideal solution, which is the proper frame size, but it often works well enough with some experiment and adjustment.
Old 09-23-22, 02:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I just remembered that Nitto made some 26.0 stems way back when. But I don't think the Technomic was ever one of them. Anyway, match the bar sleeve diameter with the stem you get, and you should be good.
Old 09-23-22, 02:20 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Thanks, I've never heard of those but I'll check it out.. I was thinking about possibly going with a straight bar rather than the drop bars and your setup looks ldeal.
If you're open to considering a conversion to upright or straight handlebars, you may want to look through this thread for ideas:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html