Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most needlessly contentious topics

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Most needlessly contentious topics

Old 03-07-23, 01:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Shocked it took until post 13 to mention tubeless.
Old 03-07-23, 04:29 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Rim brakes vs. disc brakes.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-07-23, 05:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Using a bell vs shouting on your left.
Old 03-07-23, 05:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Using a bell vs shouting on your left.
In a recent experience, doing both didn't prevent a guy with headphones and staring at his phone from stepping right in front of me. If it wasn't for the superior stopping power of my hydraulic disc brakes, we would probably both have been killed in the resulting collision.
Old 03-07-23, 05:31 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'll take contentious over garbage. All the "Do you..." threads with no purpose other than for the OP to see his name in print. Look at me, Mommy.
I'm surprised nobody has pondered enough to make a "Do you click on a locked post to see why it got closed" post.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-07-23, 05:37 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Respecting traffic lights, signs, laws, etc or not,. haas to be up there.
Old 03-08-23, 03:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Rim brakes vs. disc brakes.
The 800 lb gorilla beating its chest
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-08-23, 06:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm kicking myself for weighing in on this thread, but the correct answer is dogs. Several people have gotten bans for arguments on those threads.

It generally devolves into self-appointed dog experts blaming other posters for their injuries, and the injured poster getting understandably mad at this to the point of tos violations.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-23, 06:47 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 372 Posts
This happens in every single forum that I belong too and it's off-putting to new folks when their innocent questions are met with eye rolls by the "regulars".

It's no wonder forums are dying.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-08-23, 06:51 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by john m flores
This happens in every single forum that I belong too and it's off-putting to new folks when their innocent questions are met with eye rolls by the "regulars".

And believe me, it's not nearly as bad here as it is on roadbikereview.com .
Old 03-08-23, 07:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

On the other hand you also get " new folks" posting their hot take on cycling that's been debunked a zillion times and getting indignant when "regulars" try to set them straight. For example, a lot of these are weight lifters who just started cycling "explaining" why heavier bikes automatically give you a better workout.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-23, 08:28 AM
john m flores 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
On the other hand you also get " new folks" posting their hot take on cycling that's been debunked a zillion times and getting indignant when "regulars" try to set them straight. For example, a lot of these are weight lifters who just started cycling "explaining" why heavier bikes automatically give you a better workout.
You can't correct everyone. Or can you?
Old 03-08-23, 11:26 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Wait.. No one said anything about Kickstands....
Likes For elcraft:
Old 03-08-23, 12:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
+1 What kind of person embarks on a new activity w/o a little humility? They usually start out telling us how great they were at golf or pickle ball, then segue into their unique insight into how everyone is doing this cycling thing wrong.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-08-23, 12:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You can't correct everyone. Or can you?

No, but when someone sets out on a mission to "correct" all the other cyclists, it's pretty damn funny when they're spectacularly wrong.

Do you think I was attempting to correct you?

I don't know if internet forums are "dying", but you might note that my post didn't actually disagree with you. I find rude treatment of naive newbies obnoxious as you do. I try very hard not to be part of any pack doing that stuff, and will generally offer whatever knowledge I might have regarding the subject even if I know it's been posted a zillion times before.

I was just offering the flip-side of the contentious newby posting types, the really clear Dunning-Krugers who get really insulting and condescending when their supposed revelations aren't greeted with approval and admiration. I'm sorry, but I really do find people who do that sort of thing funnier than hell--incorrect pomposity is entertaining.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-23, 01:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
+1 What kind of person embarks on a new activity w/o a little humility? They usually start out telling us how great they were at golf or pickle ball, then segue into their unique insight into how everyone is doing this cycling thing wrong.

Wasn't Dunning and Kruger's point that we're all susceptible to these kinds of delusions? Where the humility comes in is being able to recognize when someone actually knowledgeable has let you know you're talking out your butt.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-23, 01:09 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

No, but when someone sets out on a mission to "correct" all the other cyclists, it's pretty damn funny when they're spectacularly wrong.

I don't know if internet forums are "dying", but you might note that my post didn't actually disagree with you. I find rude treatment of naive newbies obnoxious as you do. I try very hard not to be part of any pack doing that stuff, and will generally offer whatever knowledge I might have regarding the subject even if I know it's been posted a zillion times before.

I was just offering the flip-side of the contentious newby posting types, the really clear Dunning-Krugers who get really insulting and condescending when their supposed revelations aren't greeted with approval and admiration. I'm sorry, but I really do find people who do that sort of thing funnier than hell--incorrect pomposity is entertaining.
Agreed. And recently, there was this little gem on RBR:

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...now-it.385814/

Too bad the mods eventially banned the OP and locked the thread. I actually found it all quite amusing.
Old 03-08-23, 04:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Wait.. No one said anything about Kickstands....
I hate kick stands, they serve no purpose at all....there you go I said it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-08-23, 04:52 PM
john m flores 

Appreciate the clarification and your efforts to treat noobs with some patience. In the parking lot of a group ride, noob questions are usually handled with some grace. But here, online, it's easy for things to snowball into a dogpile. Sure, you'll get a Dunning-Kruger graduate every now and then but they're the small minority. Other online communities like ****** attempt to deal with this issue with FAQs for noobs but that doesn't always work either.

And yes, forums are dying everywhere. It's not unlike the decline of activities like cycling, motorcycling, and photography (some of my interests) as boomers age out and aren't replaced. And within the context of declining participation in activities that I love, it's frustrating to see new enthusiasm indiscriminately snuffed out online.
Old 03-09-23, 07:02 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Tire size and pressure.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 03-10-23, 06:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Appreciate the clarification and your efforts to treat noobs with some patience. In the parking lot of a group ride, noob questions are usually handled with some grace. But here, online, it's easy for things to snowball into a dogpile. Sure, you'll get a Dunning-Kruger graduate every now and then but they're the small minority. Other online communities like ****** attempt to deal with this issue with FAQs for noobs but that doesn't always work either.

And yes, forums are dying everywhere. It's not unlike the decline of activities like cycling, motorcycling, and photography (some of my interests) as boomers age out and aren't replaced. And within the context of declining participation in activities that I love, it's frustrating to see new enthusiasm indiscriminately snuffed out online.
Maybe this thread could actually be useful if we discuss surreptitiously contentious things people shouldn't do to newbies.

I'll start:

Unsolicited commentary and "advice" about personal matters like weight, number of kids, employment, etc. Example: newbie asking best method for transporting 3 toddlers on a bike is not asking for your opinion on how many kids they have, and telling people they have too many is definitely an unpleasant personal attack. Likewise, telling someone they're too fat when their question has not mentioned wanting weight advice. These are both versions of real thread events I've read. The details have been disguised to protect the innocent.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-23, 06:52 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
No list is complete without mentioning this:

-- rotating mass
I'd expand on that and just say "Newtonian Physics". Hard to believe that could be a contentious issue, but here we are in BF.
Old 03-10-23, 06:53 AM
Hendy002

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
wow
Old 03-10-23, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Hendy002
wow

Hey, your mom is upside down.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-23, 02:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Hey, your mom is upside down.
I see what you did here, but some could take this the wrong way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.