Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

3d printed Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 08:43 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
3d printed Canyon

https://bikerumor.com/canyon-3d-prin...ike-prototype/

Seems like a cool idea. But isn’t aluminum pretty much infinitely recyclable already? Seems like using a 3d printer is adding complexity. A standard tubed frame is strong enough for nearly anything and already is recycled/recyclable.

There could be a certain advantage that most of this could be done at a single printing facility rather than sourcing materials and getting them to the factory. Maybe.

Also makes me think it’s way weaker than standard hydroformed tubes, or it wouldn’t be so trussed out.

(comment pool.
1 point. My 26” with rim brakes is still going, that’s environmental

2 points. Its so ugly I wouldn’t let my dead grandma ride it

0 points, cars are the real problem )
Old 03-10-23, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
3D printing will allow them to do some things that can't be done or at least not easily done by typical manufacturing methods to take better advantage of the material properties.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-10-23, 09:39 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Kirk Precision would like a word, lol

This is a technology demonstrator; a "because we can" project.

On one hand, you've got AI-optimized design, and 3DP can make far more intricate shapes / details than CNC or hand fabrication.
They're also talking about the carbon footprint/ energy savings from eliminating upstream processes like foundry work and tubing mills.
They briefly mention that it takes a long time to produce a single bike this way, though.

It's like a concept car; it may not be the future, but it's a future.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-10-23, 09:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I think the skeleton/lattice look is pretty cool. Its certainly different, and its done in a way that I dont dislike(as opposed to so many other 'revolutionary' designs).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-10-23, 03:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Big question will be if the 3D printer and the time it takes to print one frame will ever be cost effective to allow production of a bike that can be sold for a price most are willing to pay. Or if it can produce a frame so superior to current top tier carbon that it becomes the new thing.
Old 03-10-23, 03:41 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
3D printing will allow them to do some things that can't be done or at least not easily done by typical manufacturing methods to take better advantage of the material properties.

In a nutshell, this is the textbook definition of why to use 3d printing.

It seems a little dubious to tout it as more environmentally friendly for very slight upstream benefit.
Old 03-10-23, 03:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

So is the "Green" part of the equation what you wish to focus on?

I just take that as the promoters just grasping at things to grab someone's attention. So of course if in any way they can relate it to being environmentally friendly then there'll be some remark toward that. Just like other references to other things might grab someone's attention in the article.

I still remember when HGTV had all the shows touting the use of green materials. Almost brand new granite and quartz counter tops being sent to the dumpster on those shows and replaced with things consider more environmentally friendly. How green was that putting good stuff in a land fill just to brag about a "green" home? I guess others had the same issue with the concept since HGTV did away with all those shows.

So similarly would we all trash our existing bikes to have them made by an environmentally friendly manner? Or even worse, what would the greening cost be to re-tool a factory to put out 3D printed stuff and throw the existing tooling into the land fill?

But, recycled aluminum does have a lot going for it on the green end of things whether it's 3d or not. Mining bauxite and making into new aluminum not so much.
Old 03-10-23, 04:09 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
Interesting but what about durability and repairability?? I prefer a Tig welded aluminium frame with smoothed welds that can be repaired than some3D printed stuff.
Old 03-10-23, 05:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Nice idea, problem with this thinking is planning on non-use vs ensuring a bike can be used for 30, 40,50, 60 years.and planning so that length of live is supportable and upgradeable

so minimize use of proprietary fittings, keep things simple

I have 42, 39, and 38 year old bikes going strong. two are mostly original equipment and one has had modern 11 speed on it

Old 03-10-23, 06:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
It will be interesting to see the first 3d printed bicycle that gets ignored by all but the most obsequious of media outlets. I'm already there, but nobody cares what I think.
Old 03-10-23, 06:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
it'll be tougher to point a finger at QA/QC when a bot is doing all the work. I'd trust a machines work ethic as long as the design doesn't contain weak points.
Old 03-10-23, 07:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
it'll be tougher to point a finger at QA/QC when a bot is doing all the work. I'd trust a machines work ethic as long as the design doesn't contain weak points.
ah but humans program the machines, like tesla programming a rolling stop on stop signs.

Old 03-10-23, 07:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
ah but humans program the machines, like tesla programming a rolling stop on stop signs.
I didn't say it'd eliminate it, so error is still a thing.
Old 03-10-23, 09:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,634 Times in 2,919 Posts
This brings us back to the Needlessly Contentious Topics thread where someone brings up some new tech and then you hear the inevitable, “Well my (fill in the blank frame or component) is just fine and we don’t need no stinkin’ new fangled (fill in the bank).” And so it goes forever and forever and forever. Meh.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-11-23, 03:10 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 376 Posts
1. additive manufacturing is an amazing way to make stronger, lighter, and more efficient parts.
2. You can keep that fork tho
3. RANT: Sustainable cycling? REALLY?! Is cycling truly THAT much of a burden on the environment? Or is this pandering
3a (it's just pandering)

It's a great concept and a good design but 'sustainable cycling' cringeworthy.
Old 03-11-23, 04:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
"will allow them" or "might allow them"? I suspect you're right, and it's a very cool concept (IMO). But it would be interesting to see descriptions of design concepts and functional effects that couldn't be accomplished with current methods. I guess related to this, is: an explanation of why this is more sustainable than tubes?
Old 03-11-23, 04:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I still want to get some lugs 3d printed. People are already doing that. I think things like that are better uses of a 3d printer, but it doesn't get you any press. Maybe 20 likes on instagram.
Old 03-11-23, 05:04 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 3,729 Times in 1,832 Posts
From link in 1st post
"Due to the size limitation of the 3D-printer, the ~2kg frame was created in three pieces sleeved & bonded together, plus a separate rigid fork." - This does not sound ideal?

"Canyon engineers took advantage of the flexibility of creating an almost infinitely-complex latticework skeleton thanks to the laser sintering technology of the 3D-printed alloy to handle structural loads (see the turquoise rendering,
above) and topped it off with a thin shell to protect the frameset and make it easier to keep clean." - a thin shell of what? if not aluminum how does it recycle? if aluminium how does it protect the aluminium frame?
Old 03-11-23, 06:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Today we roll our eyes.

Five years from now when the UCI dictates "all of the material that goes into the bike is to be fully recyclable in a usable way" and CF bikes disappear, this is what we'll see at the LBS.

Fun fact: VAAST magnesium frames are decalled with a recycling symbol:

Old 03-11-23, 08:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Fun fact: VAAST magnesium frames are decalled with a recycling symbol:

My strawberry container claims to be recyclable, yet it won't be recycled when it makes its way to the sorting facility.

Can I just toss a VAAST frame in the recycling bin and wheel it to the curb?
Old 03-16-23, 07:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
From link in 1st post
"Due to the size limitation of the 3D-printer, the ~2kg frame was created in three pieces sleeved & bonded together, plus a separate rigid fork." - This does not sound ideal?

"Canyon engineers took advantage of the flexibility of creating an almost infinitely-complex latticework skeleton thanks to the laser sintering technology of the 3D-printed alloy to handle structural loads (see the turquoise rendering,
above) and topped it off with a thin shell to protect the frameset and make it easier to keep clean." - a thin shell of what? if not aluminum how does it recycle? if aluminium how does it protect the aluminium frame?
They just meant a top skin of aluminium within the 3D print - not a separate skin. Most 3D printed components are modelled in that way i.e. using a lattice/honeycomb infill with outer skins as required.

3D metallic printing is way too slow to be commercially viable for mass-production and there's no way of dramatically speeding up the process. It's true application is in prototyping and low volume, small, intricate components. Bike frames are not really a good match for this tech, other than for prototyping like in this case.