Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Daughter Talking Me Into a Spin Class

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-23, 09:53 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

So my daughter works part-time at our YMCA. She's been nagging me to try a spin class and I met the instructor last night. I'm going to give it a try next week.

Looking for advice. I guess wear my padded bike shorts and my 5 10 stiff soled shoes. Most of my trail rides are 15 to 20 miles. Not sure what this whole spin thing is going to be like. They apparently have a big screen monitor with a video of roads from somewhere. I dunno. I'm pretty laid back when I ride - I like to ride solo and do whatever I want while on the bike. If I see a vista I want to look at or photo, I do it. I'm concerned I'm going to look bad.

My primary reason for doing it is because I told my kid "I'll do it if you will." I think the exercise will help her ADHD and get her moving. I'll post more afterward.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 01-05-23, 10:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Most of the people doing spin class aren't laid back that I've seen. They go at it to exhaustion. Take a water bottle with you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-05-23, 10:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have never done a spin class, but what I have seen is far from laid back. Of course, one does not have to go at it like all the others. Kudos to you for wanting to help your child. Does she already ride a bike? If not, not so sure this would be a good introduction. I believe spin class, in general, takes pretty good focus on the pedaling. Maybe not a whole lot of distraction, though. I hope you both do it, and report back. I am interested in how it goes. I would definitely dress in what you like to normally ride in.
Old 01-05-23, 10:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
Take a water bottle and a towel. My wife and I have both taken spin classes and they are anything but laid back. On the contrary they are high intensity, high cardio level workouts usually for 45 minutes. Dress is light clothing and maybe take a change of clothes because when you are done you will be drenched in sweat. These are not social rides, they are real workouts.

I really enjoyed them, but then I enjoy working hard and getting my heart rate way up. You may want to query YouTube and watch a couple of spin classes before you go to see what they are about.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-05-23, 11:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Did a few classes with some roadie friends many winters ago in the pre-smart trainer era, for indoor training and a change of scenery. The intensity was insane and the scenery pleasant.
Old 01-05-23, 11:13 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Did a few classes with some roadie friends many winters ago in the pre-smart trainer era, for indoor training and a change of scenery. The intensity was insane and the scenery pleasant.
This was my experience, too. Be prepared to suffer.

I will echo previous advice....Take water (more than you think you need), a towel, and a change of clothes. Also, if you can set up a pair of shoes that clip into whatever pedals are on the bike, you're better off.
Old 01-05-23, 11:28 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Spin classes, in my experience, are great to motivate you to push harder and improve fitness, compared to riding casually which can easily 'degrade' into easy cruising and limit fitness gains. The difference is that - to me at least- riding outside, even easy cruising, is almost always fun.

Also, I have run up against some real POSs in spin classes who don't know how to share or exist in a shared fitness space. I imagine most group fitness activities are like this.
Old 01-05-23, 11:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
It doesn't have to be a sufferfest. The challenge is to go in there the first time and "moderate" your effort. Just because the instructor is yelling, "hill coming up, third position, increase resistance" doesn't mean you have to start killing it - do your pace; no one in the room is actually looking at you anyway. What is essential is to get there a bit early and figure out how to adjust the bike to a fit you like. I've found that most spin-people don't really think much about fit, at least the way folks around here do. So get the seat height and the reach right before the crowd settles in.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-05-23, 11:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
It will help you to build very useful and important skills, like jumping up and down on the bike.
Old 01-05-23, 12:26 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Spin classes are fun because it's kind of like riding a trainer but with a lot more enthusiasm and comradery.
Some people wear cleated shoes and chamois bibshorts... seems kind of dumb to me.
They do a bunch of non-cycling stuff like in and out of the saddle, sometime even use dumbbells.
The instructors will frequently say ridiculous stuff like "OK now we're going up this long climb so put it in a big gear to mimic climbing (lasts 15 seconds).
So you will probably have fun, get a good workout, and impress all the non-cyclists with your smooth spin.
The music and videos are a fun element if available too.
Old 01-06-23, 08:40 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I did a small number of classes during a hot spell as I couldn’t ride. I was amazed at how poorly I performed knowing I’m a fairly strong rider. I could not complete any of their classes without slowing down at times.
I have ridden with a number of the people in these classes and know full well that on real bikes they wouldn’t keep up with me for an hour but on spin bikes I was useless. Go figure?
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 01-06-23, 11:41 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I’ve done a couple spin classes with a friend at her request. In the 45:00-60:00 minute classes it was pretty intense. A couple of times I had to relax before a particular intense “sprint” or “climb” was finished. But like others in this thread In the end I thought “Those people are good for an hour. They were completely exhausted at the end.” I don’t think they could hang with me on ride of 2, 3, 4 hours or more. I was tired…but I could have kept going in a real road situation. Maybe it comes down to pacing I guess. The thing I didn’t like was the ‘booming’ music, and the instructor yelling stuff. I like the serenity of my surroundings, and being outside…regardless of the weather conditions.

Dan
Old 01-06-23, 11:55 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
So my daughter works part-time at our YMCA. She's been nagging me to try a spin class and I met the instructor last night. I'm going to give it a try next week.

Looking for advice. I guess wear my padded bike shorts and my 5 10 stiff soled shoes. Most of my trail rides are 15 to 20 miles. Not sure what this whole spin thing is going to be like. They apparently have a big screen monitor with a video of roads from somewhere. I dunno. I'm pretty laid back when I ride - I like to ride solo and do whatever I want while on the bike. If I see a vista I want to look at or photo, I do it. I'm concerned I'm going to look bad.

My primary reason for doing it is because I told my kid "I'll do it if you will." I think the exercise will help her ADHD and get her moving. I'll post more afterward.
If you have SPD mountain biking shoes, those might be preferable since (in my experience) a lot of spin classes include pretty demanding climbing out of the saddle. Don't be concerned with looking bad, in fact I have found that many people seem to be self conscious so they gravitate to the rear of the spin room leaving many bikes available in the front row. I don't care what others think so I go right to the front row and get a better airflow from the fans up there anyway. If you are good at visualization and "active relaxation" then you will do fine. While it is quite possible to get caught up in all the mayhem and drive your heart rate into the tachy red zone, the flip-side is that it is also quite attainable that you can self manage your efforts and get some excellent cardio in the timeframe alotted and have a great time too!
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-06-23, 01:41 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Thanks for all tips and encouragement. I've got my water bottle, towel and change of clothes ready. I don't have SPD shoes to clip in - the 5.10's are gonna have to do. I'm keeping an open mind about it to see how it goes. The instructor seems like a fun guy.

I told my daughter last night she can't chicken out since I'm her ride home. She does ride and is a stronger, faster rider than I am (40 plus years advantage to her!). True story - I took her to Presque Island State Park in Erie to ride the trail around the park a couple of summers ago. I'd guess it's maybe 14 miles around. We rode it once and stopped at Sara's (famous for burgers and ice cream) for lunch. She said, "wanna go again?" I say, "sure, let's go." So we're half way around, me following my daughter. I guy shoots past me without so much as an "on you left." My immediate thought was, "she's not going to let him pass her." The other rider started pulling on her and she just took off, turning it into a race.

Six or seven miles later, I see the guy, on the bike, at a slower pace. Another mile or two later, I see my kiddo. I had two questions - Did he try to pass you? Yes. Did he pass you? The answer was, "please, that just wasn't going to happen." Another milk shake, and we headed home.

Last edited by Altair 4; 01-06-23 at 02:04 PM.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 01-06-23, 02:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4

I told my daughter last night she can't chicken out since I'm her ride home..
You mean you're going the DRIVE to the gym? And when you get there, ride a bike to go nowhere?
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-06-23, 03:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve done a couple spin classes with a friend at her request. In the 45:00-60:00 minute classes it was pretty intense. A couple of times I had to relax before a particular intense “sprint” or “climb” was finished. But like others in this thread In the end I thought “Those people are good for an hour. They were completely exhausted at the end.” I don’t think they could hang with me on ride of 2, 3, 4 hours or more. I was tired…but I could have kept going in a real road situation. Maybe it comes down to pacing I guess. The thing I didn’t like was the ‘booming’ music, and the instructor yelling stuff. I like the serenity of my surroundings, and being outside…regardless of the weather conditions.

Dan
Total agreement on the statement regarding the "booming music" and the instructor yelling. Also the serene surroundings and outside. Kudos to those that do spin class, I give a hard pass.
Old 01-06-23, 05:16 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
It makes no sense to me to turn the music volume up to max and then have to yell over the loudspeaker. I hate that. Additionally, our spin bikes are monitored with a display available to the instructor. In my 80's, I do not need to be monitored any more. I was monitored when I worked. No more of that for me. I sometimes set my own speeds and goals to match my fitness/energy of the day. Best result for me was to quit the spin class when I can't get out. and ride a spin bike on my own
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 01-06-23, 07:56 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I did a small number of classes during a hot spell as I couldn’t ride. I was amazed at how poorly I performed knowing I’m a fairly strong rider. I could not complete any of their classes without slowing down at times.
I have ridden with a number of the people in these classes and know full well that on real bikes they wouldn’t keep up with me for an hour but on spin bikes I was useless. Go figure?
On a spin bike how do you know how your riding compares to someone else? All you have is that resistance knob that you cannot typically see on other bikes (plus cadence, of course). How do you make that judgement?

dave
Old 01-06-23, 09:45 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
On a spin bike how do you know how your riding compares to someone else? All you have is that resistance knob that you cannot typically see on other bikes (plus cadence, of course). How do you make that judgement?

dave

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’ve done actual road rides with these same folks who kill me in spin class. I can’t keep up with them in spin, they can’t keep up with me on the road.
Old 01-07-23, 05:14 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I am sure you will have a fun, and great spin class with your daughter. I would usually do three spin classes a week during the winter months when I was stateside. I really enjoyed it. Have fun!
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 01-07-23, 05:19 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Spin class seems like a bunch of lames trying too hard aka the worst kind of people to do activities with.

Have fun hope you enjoy the time with your daughter!
Old 01-07-23, 06:54 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Spin classes can be good. They can be motivational.
But if you're uncomfortable with a pace or activity, don't do it. It's OK if you want to do your own thing.
Likes For Machka:
Old 01-07-23, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Oh yeah! Absolutely do that spin class. It doesn't matter in the slightest who's doing what in spin class. The only thing that matters is what are you doing? Are you gonna take it to the max when that's what's happening? I thought spin classes were really fun. My wife and I'd do spin class for an hour, then hit the weight room for an hour. This was in our early 60s. We mostly did spin class in the winter, rode outside in the warm, lower rain months. I'd make sure I was back from lift skiing by 4:00 to make our spin class at 5:00. We were in pretty decent shape by spring. Get some cheapo SPD shoes. You'll only have them on for an hour.

The only real downside to spin class is that those bikes are fixies (sorry, fixed riders). That means that OOS the pedals don't go 'round like they do on your road bike and you can have a really f'd pedal stroke and do just fine. Eventually, my wife got a nice trainer and we switched to indoor riding at home where we could do our usual winter periodized training on our road bikes.
Old 01-07-23, 12:38 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Choose a bike near the back of the room. Draft.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-07-23, 01:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’ve done actual road rides with these same folks who kill me in spin class. I can’t keep up with them in spin, they can’t keep up with me on the road.
Can’t really fairly compare sprinters (spin class) to endurance road riders. Besides, most of them are there for an aerobic workout and not to improve their cycling stamina - at least from the spin classes I took.

And have to agree that the people who were really into spin class were absolute animals. I had years of cycling experience - endurance rides - and they would kill me every time. Just accepted it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.