Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please enlighten me on gravel bik

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 11:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
just look at most gravel races, they draft and ride in a pack like roadies lmao
Drafting happens in pretty much every kind of mass start bike race, because it makes sense to do so. If the opportunity is there, you take it. That’s just smart racing.
Old 02-25-23, 11:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I wouldn’t want to try some of the off-road stuff on a gravel bike, however.
I wouldn't either. I don't have a dedicated gravel bike but I thought, for me, a lightweight hardtail with a short travel fork would probably be what I would want. Ideally, maybe a short travel full suspension XC bike in the 23 pound range, but they are a bit out of budget.

I have been impressed at how fast some people can go on a fully rigid drop bar bike on mildly rough descents.
Old 02-25-23, 11:42 AM
big john

Boswell's race winner.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-25-23, 11:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Climbing is a chore but downhills are a joy. I’d rather carry the weight of suspension to the top of a hill than endure a brake dragging downhill.
I’m the opposite. I would rather have a bike that climbs faster and is more demanding of good handling skills on the way down. This is part of the reason why my MTB is a hard tail. I’m at a point in my life where trying to be as fast as possible going downhill is not a threat level I’m comfortable with - LOL.
Old 02-25-23, 11:47 AM
big john

2022 women's winner.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-25-23, 11:48 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
We used to call it cyclocross but bike manufacturers needed a new marketing term so they could sell folks new bikes which they didn't need, if they already had a mountain, CX or "hybrid" bike. I actually think it's just a rewarming of the old "hybrid" but with drop bars, as well as tickling a dream that the new ride is going to get the owner to qualify for PBP. A solution to a problem which never existed outside the board rooms of bike executives.
Gotta buy more new stuff or we're not good citizens. A bicycle should be a durable good which doesn't need replacement for a long time, longer than your average new car these days. This is why so many Raleighs and TI subsidiary bicycles are still on the road. They are not flashy, not light, not necessarily that fast, but with even a modicum of maintenance, will last longer than their owners. New bicycles are fun and all, but in all reality, there's no reason for anyone to buy a new bike other than "I want it". 100% of bicycle need, for 95% of the regular riding population, can be taken care of with a used bicycle and an overhaul. What we need is durability of parts and not planned obsolescence, but my recently acquired used Yuba didn't make the company any money. Same goes for every single bike I've ever owned, with the exception of two framesets I EP'd a few decades ago.
We simply don't need anything more than high quality consumables.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-25-23, 12:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by PhilFo
We used to call it cyclocross but bike manufacturers needed a new marketing term so they could sell folks new bikes which they didn't need, if they already had a mountain, CX or "hybrid" bike. I actually think it's just a rewarming of the old "hybrid" but with drop bars, as well as tickling a dream that the new ride is going to get the owner to qualify for PBP. A solution to a problem which never existed outside the board rooms of bike executives.
Gotta buy more new stuff or we're not good citizens. A bicycle should be a durable good which doesn't need replacement for a long time, longer than your average new car these days. This is why so many Raleighs and TI subsidiary bicycles are still on the road. They are not flashy, not light, not necessarily that fast, but with even a modicum of maintenance, will last longer than their owners. New bicycles are fun and all, but in all reality, there's no reason for anyone to buy a new bike other than "I want it". 100% of bicycle need, for 95% of the regular riding population, can be taken care of with a used bicycle and an overhaul. What we need is durability of parts and not planned obsolescence, but my recently acquired used Yuba didn't make the company any money. Same goes for every single bike I've ever owned, with the exception of two framesets I EP'd a few decades ago.
What's wrong with "I want it"? Are we all so stupid and gullible that we will buy anything the industry tells us to?

Bikes are fun, not a snow shovel or a wheelbarrow or tools for yardwork. Buying new bikes is fun. Racing against your friends and riding in fast groups is fun.

If a bike was just a utilitarian thing I could have ridden my old touring bike for everything. If I was still working I would buy a couple new bikes now. As things are I am thinking of working out the finances anyway. I don't blow money on anything else.
Old 02-25-23, 12:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
My Carlton built 1974 Raleigh Comp was enjoyable and competent for the times but every bike I've bought in the past 25 years has been superior in every respect. There is a reason Huret Jubilee groups (for example) have been superseded.
Old 02-25-23, 12:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What's wrong with "I want it"? Are we all so stupid and gullible that we will buy anything the industry tells us to?
Unfortunately, that is an oft repeated mantra on bike forums.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-25-23, 12:18 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Yup, but there is a lot of stuff being produced which simply doesn't last nearly as long. Some bikes and components were garbage right out of the gate, on the other side of the spectrum, there are components and frames which are well known to simply work well, for half a century or longer. There are exceptions to this, for those who want to get pedantic, but really good quality bicycles and components last a long time and don't make bike manufacturers any money. Planned obsolescence, lowering the bar on longevity/durability/quality, all do. There is nothing wrong with buying anything because it's fun, that's great. My point is not aimed at us riders, it's aimed at the corporations which continue to market things to us which won't last as long and we don't need.
Old 02-25-23, 12:21 PM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Few hobbies include rational thought as a main component. Cycling is no different. I recently obtained an older Motobecane Cross. Built some nice wheels for it and put sorta universal 32mm tires on it. Mostly I wanted a beater market bike that was OK to just ride as well. It does that and I've had it on some dirt roads too. My old dualie is far superior for that AFAIC but of course the Cross is way more roadworthy. I don't care either way. I'm not fast anymore even on the Masi. Fortunately I don't have to be
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-25-23, 12:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
... really good quality bicycles and components last a long time and don't make bike manufacturers any money.
How does that business model work? Do they operate as charitable organizations?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-25-23, 12:34 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts

...but if you prefer turnips, that's OK, too.
Old 02-25-23, 12:37 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Drafting happens in pretty much every kind of mass start bike race, because it makes sense to do so. If the opportunity is there, you take it. That’s just smart racing.

not in the largest and most prestigious of the mass start events
Old 02-25-23, 12:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes are fun, not a snow shovel or a wheelbarrow or tools for yardwork. Buying new bikes is fun. Racing against your friends and riding in fast groups is fun.

If a bike was just a utilitarian thing I could have ridden my old touring bike for everything. If I was still working I would buy a couple new bikes now. As things are I am thinking of working out the finances anyway. I don't blow money on anything else.
Big John gets it.
Old 02-25-23, 12:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
MEGAVALANCHE 2022 ⚔️ | THE GOPRO RUN you need to watch | w/ Damien Desbrosses - YouTube

not in the largest and most prestigious of the mass start events
Most prestigious? Umm…no. I watch these megavalanche videos semi-regularly, and I’ve seen drafting happen on the lower slopes of these kinds of courses. Not very often in this kind of racing, because of the demands of the terrain are the priority, but it happens. It also happens in XC MTB and cyclocross. Drafting is not unique to road racing. It’s smart racing when the opportunity there.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-26-23 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-25-23, 12:45 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Interesting topic, how new bike types/categories acquire their names. In this case, the phrase "all-terrain bikes" is three syllables, "multi-sport bikes" four syllables, and "gravel bikes" two syllables. For phrases that are used frequently, shorter ones tend to squeeze out longer ones.
Not to be an azz, but actually:

'the phrase "all-terrain bikes" is three four syllables, "multi-sport bikes" four syllables, and "gravel bikes" two three syllables.'
Old 02-25-23, 12:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What makes that funny?
Probably because they are riding bikes that fit, wearing clothes and not riding erratically.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-25-23, 03:35 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
What is wrong with a bike company building and marketing a bike that is task specific, even race specific? What is wrong with a bike company, or the bike industry making a new market for new products?

Absolutely nothing.

Here is my take on gravel bikes, even CX bikes... for the drop bar roadie type, they are awesome alternatives to being stuck on the road with traffic, they open up many new places to ride and things to see. They also perform very well on the road with a simple tire change. So if you are like me and have interest in riding on gravel roads, groomed trails and even some small jumps/bunny hops every so often, but have no interest in riding more MTB type trails - the gravel or CX bike is an awesome second bike to own. Or if its the only bike you can afford, they offer more options to get out and enjoy yourself.

I own a pure road bike and a CX bike. The CX bike is my fun bike that I can mess about on the trails and see different things, and is a very capable backup road bike when my real road bike is in the shop for repairs.

If you are into mountain biking and want to ride some gravel roads or groomed trails - get some skinny tires for your MTB and have fun.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-25-23, 03:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I’m the opposite. I would rather have a bike that climbs faster and is more demanding of good handling skills on the way down. This is part of the reason why my MTB is a hard tail. I’m at a point in my life where trying to be as fast as possible going downhill is not a threat level I’m comfortable with - LOL.
The climb isn’t all that much slower and I’ve never reached the point in my life where I want to waste a downhill. And I’m not unpleased with my average speed on routes like this. A 12 mph average on 40 miles including some significant grinding to the top of the pass and about 5 miles of riding railroad ties on an abandoned railroad. All on a 70 lb bike (load and bike)

This ride was somewhat slower but also significantly rougher. Similar load on the same bike. While you could do it on a gravel bike, it would be even less fun than it was on a mountain bike.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-25-23, 03:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Are we talking Bik pens or Bik razors? I probably wouldn't use either on gravel, ******* for pens and I would go electric for razors. Probably Philips they make good quality stuff and they also help save Jewish lives in WW2.

Not sure what this has to do with bikes though but the Bik company does make SUPs but I don't think any bicycle stuff.
Old 02-25-23, 03:53 PM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
road racing bike:

racy gravel bike:

same car? kind of... the off road one is modified to accept larger tires and is more capable of going off road.
Old 02-25-23, 03:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
It's just a standard drop-bar road bike that can easily handle 2.8" tires.

Normally, I would have ridden a recumbent under such conditions, but it was nice sunny California weather, so I chose to slum it.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-25-23, 04:12 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A lot of interesting answers. I think I tend to agree with the many that say it is just a sales gimmic. I guess I dont understand those that say a gravel bike must have drop bars. The reason that I question this is gravel roads tend to have more scenery, and it would be easier to see from a flat bar bike.
Old 02-25-23, 04:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The climb isn’t all that much slower and I’ve never reached the point in my life where I want to waste a downhill.
We have different approaches, I guess. I don’t consider riding a gravel bike on a demanding decent to be a “waste”, even if it is slower than a MTB. I enjoy it because it challenges my skills. That said, I can only speak for the way I prefer to ride. It’s no more or less valid than anyone else’s preferences and bike choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.