Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Florida rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 09:16 AM
darkstar1dd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida rust

Im considering investing in an expensive (for me) bicycle...but I live in a mobile home in Florida....I have an outdoor storage area (shed ) but that does not control the humidity..Im concerned about rust on a steel frame...any suggestions...?
Old 03-08-23, 02:12 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions to General Cycling Discussion.

Old 03-08-23, 03:31 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I live on the other coast, about 1 1/2 miles from the Pacific and do a lot of my riding even closer to the coast and corrosion is an issue.

You shouldn't have much of a problem with rust on a painted steel frame, but any unpainted steel can be an issue. For example, some parts on my pedals are steel and corrode. I use corrosion cleaner (Rust-Oleum, for example) on them frequently. Generally, keep the steel parts clean and dry and treat any rust that does occur and your bike with last a long time.

Could you put a dehumidifier in the shed or consider an aluminum framed bike?
Old 03-08-23, 04:13 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I lived in Charleston SC many years ago on one of the barrier islands. The ocean breeze WILL rust any exposed steel. Even a painted steel bike is susceptible. If you have the wherewithal to remove the headset, crank and seat post you might consider spraying the inside of the bike frame with a sealant. Some bikes shops down there may have it. I know the online shops do.

I had a nice Raleigh when I lived down there and after a couple of years even being inside it started to rust. I pulled the headset, crank and seat post and the inside had light rust but no pitting. I found the key for me was to lightly spray the bike down after every ride, dry it off and take it inside. After I started doing that the bike didn't seem to rust much more than it already had.

The salt air is just something you'll have to deal with. I'd highly recommend going to a good bike shop in your town and ask them what they recommend.
Old 03-08-23, 04:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Get to know your neighbors in Florida and talk with some of the locals at the bike shops there. They'll be able to tell you more real world stuff.

However I wouldn't worry much about it. Just keep the bike clean and lube the stuff that needs lube. Your steel bike might get some surface rust inside the tubes and any bare spots where paint is chipped off or scratched. However it won't cause any issue unless you don't give it any attention for many years.

All my old steel bikes I had for 30 and 40 years had rust inside the tubes almost from the start. It never progressed beyond just surface rust. Perhaps to some extent the surface rust actually acts to protect it.
Old 03-08-23, 04:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by darkstar1dd
Im considering investing in an expensive (for me) bicycle...but I live in a mobile home in Florida....I have an outdoor storage area (shed ) but that does not control the humidity..Im concerned about rust on a steel frame...any suggestions...?
I live in the rust belt with tons of salt on the roads during winter time. The best thing to do is to spray the inside of your steel frame with rust preventative oil spray. You can buy cans of rust proofing oil at any auto parts store or hardware store. Keep all the cables and components well lubed.
Old 03-08-23, 05:29 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Go aluminum or carbon?
Old 03-08-23, 06:50 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Store your bike inside the house.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-08-23, 07:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
ride it often and keep it clean and dry. if you're near the coast it can be a real battle. bikes on the porch of our beach house that weren't being used rusted baldy in a few years. years ago when other bikes were regularly used and cleaned rust was still a problem, but not nearly as severe.

inland is not as bad. I live 30 miles from the coast and the problem is greatly reduced. But it still exists, Especially under cables and around cable guides. and around bottom bracket lugs. rust begets rust so if a bike is left sitting in humid storage the rust can expand more quickly. if you ride frequently and keep it clean and dry you're less likely to have problems.

depends on the paint job as well. some bikes are more prone to developing rust due to the nature of the paint. and not necessarily cheap bikes. some nicer vintage rides are known to be rust magnets. if you're talking about new steel I think paint will generally be much better and rust should be much less of a concern.
Old 03-08-23, 08:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Have intact paint or apply fingernail polish on every bare spot. Frame save the insides of the tubes. Apply grease to all threads. I use marine trailer hub grease. Florida humidity isn't going to touch that stuff. Grease the seatpost. The quill of a quill stem. Any time you run across bare (non-stainless) steel, take your finger and rub marine grease on it. Sally Beauty has a decent selection of nail polish colors. Tammies Hobbies has good brushes and packages of 4 tiny glass jars perfect for mixing and saving. (I got very close to an early '80s Japanese metal flake with two polishes. Not a forever solution but easily renewable, easy to do and cheap. You can get clear also.

If you do these steps reasonably conscientiously, your bike will do fine.
Old 03-08-23, 08:25 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have intact paint or apply fingernail polish on every bare spot. Frame save the insides of the tubes. Apply grease to all threads. I use marine trailer hub grease. Florida humidity isn't going to touch that stuff. Grease the seatpost. The quill of a quill stem. Any time you run across bare (non-stainless) steel, take your finger and rub marine grease on it. Sally Beauty has a decent selection of nail polish colors. Tammies Hobbies has good brushes and packages of 4 tiny glass jars perfect for mixing and saving. (I got very close to an early '80s Japanese metal flake with two polishes. Not a forever solution but easily renewable, easy to do and cheap. You can get clear also.

If you do these steps reasonably conscientiously, your bike will do fine.
This is excellent advice.
Old 03-08-23, 08:51 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I live in Florida and keep my (carbon frame) bike in my garage, which would be similar to keeping it in a shed, and don't have any rust or corrosion issues. The frame won't rust, of course, but neither do the metal parts on the bike. I'm inland from the coast, but as others have said, salt air will quickly rust and corrode metal parts. You said you are considering getting an expensive (for you) bike. If you're worried about rust, consider a carbon frame.
Old 03-08-23, 09:10 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts
When I lived in Seattle (high humidity) I kept a 60w light bulb on all the time in my single car garage/shop. Just that little bit of heat stopped all the rust from occurring on my tools, scrap iron and bicycles. Highly recommend it.
Old 03-09-23, 09:39 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
When I lived in Seattle (high humidity) I kept a 60w light bulb on all the time in my single car garage/shop. Just that little bit of heat stopped all the rust from occurring on my tools, scrap iron and bicycles. Highly recommend it.
I had a closet heater in Bermuda, or my clothes would mold.

My skin was great though.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-09-23, 02:36 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Theft and hurricanes

I'd be more concerned about theft and damage from a hurricane if you store the bike in a shed. Most sheds aren't much of a match for a decent sized hurricane and the wind whips up salt laden air and sends it inland so even putting a bike in a shed can't keep it entirely free from salt exposure. I hung a bike in a barn in southern Wisconsin, completely away from any rain, but after a couple of years when I returned to see it, there was some rust on chromed parts like the pieces that held the brake to the fork and frame. I didn't find any rust on the painted parts of the frame.
Old 03-09-23, 05:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I'd be more concerned about theft and damage from a hurricane if you store the bike in a shed. Most sheds aren't much of a match for a decent sized hurricane and the wind whips up salt laden air and sends it inland so even putting a bike in a shed can't keep it entirely free from salt exposure. I hung a bike in a barn in southern Wisconsin, completely away from any rain, but after a couple of years when I returned to see it, there was some rust on chromed parts like the pieces that held the brake to the fork and frame. I didn't find any rust on the painted parts of the frame.
The key here is a climate controlled environment vs. not. Heat and AC in your living space reduce humidity whereas a shed, garage, etc., will have humidity that fluctuates wildly and is also not as tight from the elements as a house.
Old 03-10-23, 10:15 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Go aluminum or carbon?
Aluminum will corrode just like steel, and of course all bikes have steel parts.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-10-23, 12:04 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Aluminum will corrode just like steel, and of course all bikes have steel parts.
Aluminum clearly will corrode:

Old 03-10-23, 04:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Aluminum will corrode just like steel.
Yeah really, aluminum boats and canoes disintegrate and turn to dust...and so do aeroplanes, bicycles, cars and thousands of other aluminum products which we use daily ....
Old 03-10-23, 04:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Aluminum corrodes much much differently than steel ... and usually once the surface corrodes, the corrosion forms a barrier protecting the rest. Of course, caustic fluids (like the acid in sweat) can cut through ....

If you aren't near the ocean the humidity shouldn't be an issue. If you are the salt will be an issue.