Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycle care on the Florida Coast.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-18-21, 07:09 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

I’m blessed to have a winter home in Jensen Beach, Florida, and I’ll be taking my bike there for the winter. Any tips to try to make the bike more sea and salt resistance? I’ll be going up and down A1A which is right on the coast.

Old 10-18-21, 07:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I live on Long Island... about 1/2 mile from the Great South Bay and 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.... Never had an issue with sea/salt, but then my bikes are carbon and alloy parts.
Old 10-18-21, 08:00 PM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I live about 8 miles west of A1A a bit north of you. Been down here almost 6 years with no issues with my 2 steel bikes that have been with me that long. My 3rd that I picked up about a month ago, the guy lived about a mile from A1A and no apparent issues with that bike. I believe the key to not having the salt being an issue is to keep your rides inside. Also a complete wipe down every now and again.

[edit to add] My brothers department store bikes that are kept outside were trashed in less than a year. Far more than bikes kept outside when I was up north.

[double edit to correct my Rand McNally screw up]

Last edited by Hasek; 10-19-21 at 06:52 PM. Reason: up, down, left, right
Old 10-18-21, 08:15 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
If you're near the water, store the bike inside if you can. We have a few old bikes on the screen porch of our beach house and they rust out just sitting there. But I don't know of anyone who has problems just riding near the water.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-18-21, 11:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've lived on a few coasts: NY, especially Long Island; Georgia; Texas; Southern California; and Florida.

By far, Florida was the most corrosive environment.

I never needed to do anything special with my bikes in SoCal or NY. But on the Florida Gulf Coast the combination of relentless humidity and salt air made even my stainless steel and aluminum fishing gear rust and oxidation incredibly quickly, even when I rinsed them in fresh water after every use. Everything I saw in that area showed evidence of rot from humidity and salinity. I didn't have a bike there but I'd expect it to need as much routine cleaning and maintenance as cars and fishing gear.

Regarding the simplest spray-on type lube/protectant, the best I tried in the 1990s was Birchwood-Casey Sheath. It was mostly sold for the firearms market but works on any metal. The name has been changed to something else but it's still the same stuff. It's a polarized protectant, so it spreads to all contiguous metal surfaces to reach beyond where it's sprayed externally. I tested it against several other similar products (including old fashioned RIG -- rust inhibiting grease -- similar to cosmoline), various lubes containing PTFE/Teflon, etc. Sheath consistently outperformed those in outdoor tests on a covered patio and in a shower on identical pieces of blued carbon steel.

There might be a few delicate items that wouldn't be suitable for that spray, but I can't think of anything on a bike that would be harmed by it.
Old 10-19-21, 12:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
sounds great! good problems to have!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-19-21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 12:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Florida is one of those places with really high humidity. So if you want something to dry quickly so there is less chance of rusting from just being wet after you wash the bike or ride in rain, then put it in front of a box fan to keep the air circulating till it's dry.

I put my bike shoes in front of the fan too when they get wet in the rain and they are completely dry and ready for another ride in half a day or so.
Old 10-19-21, 01:53 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
On the Florida coast, your bike will be stolen LONG before there are corrosion problems.
Old 10-19-21, 03:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
My sister lives in Satellite Beach, just north of you, and they have never had an issue with their bikes.

Brian

Old 10-19-21, 06:39 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasek
I live about 8 miles east of A1A a bit north of you...
I'm assuming you meant 8 miles west of A1A. 8 miles east of A1A, and you would be at the bottom of the ocean.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 10-19-21, 06:48 PM
Hasek

Bikes: 1997 or 6 Giant Rincon, 2015 Surly LHT, 1999 Schwinn Peloton.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I'm assuming you meant 8 miles west of A1A. 8 miles east of A1A, and you would be at the bottom of the ocean.

Ummm....errrr, yup.
Likes For Hasek:
Old 10-19-21, 06:50 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I’m blessed to have a winter home in Jensen Beach, Florida, and I’ll be taking my bike there for the winter. Any tips to try to make the bike more sea and salt resistance? I’ll be going up and down A1A which is right on the coast.
Hello neighbor!!! I ride Hutchinson Island almost every Saturday morning, but I live on the main land, just west of Savannah Road. If you live on Hutchinson Island I would consider giving your bike a bath once a week. I agree with jon c who suggested leaving the bike inside if you are on the ocean (or Hutchinson Island). Things tend to corrode more quickly on the island than they do as you go more inland. I have one CF bike and two steel bikes that are stored in my garage. My two steel bikes are four and six years old with no problems. They get cleaned a few times a year, but again, I'm about two miles from the ocean as the crow flies.

Feel free to contact me about group rides and the better bike shops in our area. Treasure Coast Cycling Association rides out of Stuart Beach every Saturday morning at 7:15AM. They ride up to the Ft. Pierce jetty and back (about 38 miles round trip). There are other rides for them and some of the bike shops as well.
Old 10-19-21, 06:53 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
On the Florida coast, your bike will be stolen LONG before there are corrosion problems.
No place is 100% safe, but I have not heard stories of this on the Treasure Coast. That being said, I do lock my bike if I leave it unattended.
Old 10-20-21, 04:37 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Park inside as already stated and minimize sand exposure. Wind driven sand is a given but riding through it will increase your maintenance time and cost.
Old 10-20-21, 01:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've lived on a few coasts: NY, especially Long Island; Georgia; Texas; Southern California; and Florida.

Yeah, but what about his bike?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-21-21, 12:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah, but what about his bike?
Yeah, that too. Pensacola was more like Baja Alabama than Florida. Anything called a "panhandle" is bound to be an unwanted stepchild that should be split off into its own state.
Old 10-21-21, 09:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
otherwise known as bikini bottom

Old 10-22-21, 04:26 AM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
otherwise known as bikini bottom
And you could live in a pineapple!
Old 02-13-22, 11:45 AM
Dudelsack 

Thanks! I don’t know that I would be welcome on a group ride (which I see going up and down the road - we live in Oceana 2) as I have a Townie e bike. I can pull a steady 19 MPH as long as the battery holds out. It’s cheating, though.

Old 02-13-22, 11:48 AM
Dudelsack 

I never needed to do anything special with my bikes in SoCal or NY. But on the Florida Gulf Coast the combination of relentless humidity and salt air made even my stainless steel and aluminum fishing gear rust and oxidation incredibly quickly, even when I rinsed them in fresh water after every use. Everything I saw in that area showed evidence of rot from humidity and salinity. I didn't have a bike there but I'd expect it to need as much routine cleaning and maintenance as cars and fishing gear.

Regarding the simplest spray-on type lube/protectant, the best I tried in the 1990s was Birchwood-Casey Sheath. It was mostly sold for the firearms market but works on any metal. The name has been changed to something else but it's still the same stuff. It's a polarized protectant, so it spreads to all contiguous metal surfaces to reach beyond where it's sprayed externally. I tested it against several other similar products (including old fashioned RIG -- rust inhibiting grease -- similar to cosmoline), various lubes containing PTFE/Teflon, etc. Sheath consistently outperformed those in outdoor tests on a covered patio and in a shower on identical pieces of blued carbon steel.

There might be a few delicate items that wouldn't be suitable for that spray, but I can't think of anything on a bike that would be harmed by it.
Speaking of which, as I am a 2A participant and have a boatload of Balneol, would that make an OK chain cleaner? I think that would have me branded as a heretic on the ol’ 44.

Old 02-17-22, 07:37 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Wind driven salt spray and 100% humidity causes problems. A1A is a problem. Be very traditional and use oily rag wipe down before and after each ride. On windy days with wind off the water there is no way to avoid consequences. Oily means oily. Every place except where you hold the bike. You have to leave the rim bare if it is a rim brake bike. Otherwise get oil just everywhere.
Old 02-17-22, 11:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Speaking of which, as I am a 2A participant and have a boatload of Balneol, would that make an OK chain cleaner? I think that would have me branded as a heretic on the ol’ 44.
Ballistol? (Balneol is a personal hygiene lubricant for ones personal area for ones personal, umm... business.) I'm not sure I've ever used Ballistol. I did use CLP years ago, especially the grease, but tended to prefer Sheath (now Barridcade) as a rust preventive because it's a polarized oil that creeps and seeps into every crevice, nook and cranny so you don't need to disassemble items to reach all the metal parts that need protection. And it didn't appear to harm any synthetics, rubber, plastic, etc.

However Sheath/Barricade wasn't much of a lubricant. The carrier evaporates leaving a very thin coat, and it's designed to avoid soaking into fabrics (as it is intended for firearms, which may be carried on the person) so I wouldn't rely on it for bicycle chains, unless I was prepared to apply the stuff every ride.

I used to hot wax my bike chains, but for the past couple of years have mostly used Rock 'n' Roll lubes -- Absolute Dry, Gold and, mostly recently, Extreme for wet/dirty conditions. It seems pricey for what it is -- naphtha carrier with powdered PTFE that needs to be shaken back into suspension, and varying amounts of light oil in Gold and Extreme. But it works so well, is easy to use and lasts long enough that I'll put up with the cost since I go through only one 4 ounce bottle a year. As the directions suggest, there's no additional cleaning step. The carrier for the lube -- naphtha -- is also the cleaner. Just squirt it on, spin the chain, wipe it off with a paper towel, done. As my back and neck, knees, etc., deteriorate, the less time I spend bent over or kneeling to clean my bikes, the better.
Old 02-18-22, 12:29 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Pledge spray-on furniture wax may be helpful. I'm not near salt water, but I do use it a lot after washes. Certainly won't hurt, but avoid braking surfaces, of course.
Old 02-18-22, 10:39 PM
jaxgtr

I live in Jacksonville, and ride up and down the A1A up here all the time and have never had an issue with rust or corrosion, unless you are riding on the beach and in the water, or leaving the bike outside 24/7, I just don't see this being an issue.

Old 02-23-22, 08:07 PM
Dudelsack 

Ballistol? (Balneol is a personal hygiene lubricant for ones personal area for ones personal, umm... business.) .
Well that was awkward. I sprayed Ballistol all over my taint…my chode…and I haven’t been able to sit still since.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.