Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Wheelset Thoughts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Wheelset Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 11:01 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
It’s probably reasonable to assume someone isn’t dropping 3K for wheels on a bike with 9 speed Sora…

I don’t get the people ITT saying not to spend the money. If you have it and can reasonably afford it- good for you, do it.

I look at it all as a cost per use thing. I ride my bike around 260-300 times per year. Over the course of three years $3,000 wheelscomes out to about $4 per use. A $5,500 bike on top of that adds another $6 per use.

$10 per use is a hell of a lot cheaper than a round of golf or a couple of beers and far healthier than both.

Edit: this is also how I justify buying bike stuff to my wife
People with Sora components have a right to look cool also! From 50' you can't tell what groupset is on a bike. And, they are probably just as fast or faster than most of us anyway.

Agreed on if you can afford it why not buy it. Nobody is required to be frugal. Someone has to stimulate the economy from time-to-time.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-25-22, 04:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4397 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You definitely need to get fit before you upgrade the bike. You don't want to buy/ride a bike that's the wrong size.
Well that makes sense, but it's not a particularly useful response to someone asking about the best $3k wheels.
Old 02-25-22, 04:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well that makes sense, but it's not a particularly useful response to someone asking about the best $3k wheels.
It's not, but the OP won't give us any info for suggestions. So, we have to keep coming with responses like that until he/she does.
Old 02-25-22, 05:20 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
This wheelset, that I ordered 2 weeks ago, just arrived at my door today…. Quite a bit cheaper than $3k.

New gravel wheelset
Old 02-25-22, 06:11 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
This wheelset, that I ordered 2 weeks ago, just arrived at my door today…. Quite a bit cheaper than $3k.
I have heard good things about BTLOS as well. Them and Lightbicycle are what I would recommend to pretty much anyone.
Old 02-26-22, 03:47 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I like tubeless so if rim, I'm only doing Zipp or ENVE. If disc, I'd be more open to rim but I still want either DT 240 hubs or Chris king hubs. I'm old school and soI go for my tried and true hubs for decades. Off the shelf easy- I like the ENVE 3.4 SES and the Zipp 303s. I don't know enough about fancier wheels.
I'm super happy with my ENVE SES DB 3.4's, but I think if I bought today I'd go hookless. The 303S is appealing, but personally I think if I'm spending that kind of money to begin with, I'd want at least DT 240 grade hubs rather than pawl engagement, so would move on up into the Firecrest range. Not because there's more than a minor difference, but because even a small difference over the ten years or so I'll be riding them adds up to be worth an extra $500-$600.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 02-26-22, 06:22 PM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
What about going with staggered setup. Something like 60s depth rear and 40ish front? Anyone running this type of setup?
Old 02-26-22, 08:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
What about going with staggered setup. Something like 60s depth rear and 40ish front? Anyone running this type of setup?
Sure, if you are light weight and do not mind sacrificing looks for improved handling in gusty conditions.

But the whroooosh sound is not as satisfying from a shallower wheel.
Old 02-26-22, 11:45 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
I'm super happy with my ENVE SES DB 3.4's, but I think if I bought today I'd go hookless. The 303S is appealing, but personally I think if I'm spending that kind of money to begin with, I'd want at least DT 240 grade hubs rather than pawl engagement, so would move on up into the Firecrest range. Not because there's more than a minor difference, but because even a small difference over the ten years or so I'll be riding them adds up to be worth an extra $500-$600.
Definitely! I'd go Firecrest as well. I do not really like pawl hubs. I recently used Onyx hubs on a fatbike and that hub is amazing (for a fat or mtn bike...heavy). SO worth it! My road bike has Chris Kings and my mountain bike has I9 Hydras. My gravel bike has DT350s and my other mtn bike does too.
Old 02-27-22, 06:37 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I generally fall on the side of wheels being a pretty overrated upgrade for folks, mainly because it seems silly to spend so much money for a minute an hour savings. This is especially so if the user has not done other low hanging fruit stuff like getting a more aero helmet, narrower handlebar, and good fitting clothing.

Of course, I say that now, but I'm trying to do a solo century in 4:45 this year after doing 4:56 last year and would take an extra five minutes if I could lol

Also OP, instead of dumping money into small upgrades, train more
https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/...at-s-going-on/
Old 02-27-22, 06:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I generally fall on the side of wheels being a pretty overrated upgrade for folks, mainly because it seems silly to spend so much money for a minute an hour savings. This is especially so if the user has not done other low hanging fruit stuff like getting a more aero helmet, narrower handlebar, and good fitting clothing.

Of course, I say that now, but I'm trying to do a solo century in 4:45 this year after doing 4:56 last year and would take an extra five minutes if I could lol

it does have to be an either or scenario. One can train more AND buy a more aero kit, aero helmet, aero handlebar, fast tires, and once the low hanging fruit has been found, buy those blingy wheels. At 20 mph, wheels might be a watt or three
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-27-22, 07:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I generally fall on the side of wheels being a pretty overrated upgrade for folks, mainly because it seems silly to spend so much money for a minute an hour savings.
a) that's a matter of value, which is subjective and will vary from person to person
b) that's far from the only reason that people upgrade their wheels
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-27-22, 07:24 AM
hubcyclist

Yes yes, I’m aware of all the justifications. Doesn’t change my opinion
Old 02-27-22, 07:51 AM
WhyFi

Yes yes, I’m aware of all the justifications. Doesn’t change my opinion
How many such wheelsets have you owned?
Old 02-27-22, 09:32 AM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Living in West Los Angeles there are some great bike resources. Nir Wheels is close by. Custom made carbon for my Bianchi Infinito Disc are wonderful. Nimble and fast. 28mm Pirelli road race with their race tubes and you have a wonderful setup. Drop off the bike and a few days later done. I ride 4 or so days a weeks so when averaging the cost over a year or two t is about the same cost as a coffee and a muffin. Not a pro rider but considering how much enjoyment comes from the riding, well worth the cost for me.
Old 02-28-22, 04:51 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts

did OP ask for training advice?
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-28-22, 05:20 AM
hubcyclist

did OP ask for training advice?
No, but it's prob better advice than enabling someone to spend thousands of dollars, probably unnecessarily, for a fleeting feeling of satisfaction. One of the problem with serious hobbyist forums is that everyone is quick to just jump on spending money as a route to happiness, whether it's chasing a certain sound with guitars, getting a better lens in photography, etc. And often frivolous spending is encouraged without regarding to whether one should spend. Of course it's up to each individual to determine what they can spend within their means. But yeah, train more is better advice than blow your money on wheels for a small improvement in time or whatever feeling they're chasing until someone needs their next 'fix' with a new piece of gear.
Old 02-28-22, 07:26 AM
Mojo31
-------

It's not better advice when the poster asks about wheels and not training. It's just being judgmental.

If I want to buy a $15k bike with all the latest tech and do-dads just to enjoy the ride and can afford it, then why not? I may not have any interest in "training" (whatever that means), but just want to have a nice ride. Nothing wrong with that even if it doesn't fit someone else's value proposition.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-28-22, 07:41 AM
WhyFi

No, but it's prob better advice than enabling someone to spend thousands of dollars, probably unnecessarily, for a fleeting feeling of satisfaction. One of the problem with serious hobbyist forums is that everyone is quick to just jump on spending money as a route to happiness, whether it's chasing a certain sound with guitars, getting a better lens in photography, etc. And often frivolous spending is encouraged without regarding to whether one should spend. Of course it's up to each individual to determine what they can spend within their means. But yeah, train more is better advice than blow your money on wheels for a small improvement in time or whatever feeling they're chasing until someone needs their next 'fix' with a new piece of gear.
Stop the sanctimonious BS. If someone is asking advice on getting faster, "train" is a fantastic answer. If they're asking about nice wheelsets, "train" is neither here nor there and is nothing more than a Johnny Lunchpail (RIP pcad) sour grapes response.

Also, if your wheelsets only offer fleeting satisfaction, you must not be doing it right and maybe you shouldn't be giving wheelset advice. 10k miles later, I'm still happy and thankful every time I go for a spin on my current wheels - they were a fantastic upgrade.
Old 02-28-22, 08:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
By this logic, most of us are riding bikes that cost waaaaay too much money.
Old 02-28-22, 08:29 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Koyote
By this logic, most of us are riding bikes that cost waaaaay too much money.
Actually shouldn't be riding any bikes at all. Walking and running provide the same training benefit with zero cost except for a good pair of shoes.

And, the shoes and clothing required for walking and running are really only necessary because of societal norms.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-28-22, 11:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

The question was "what wheels are good?" You have the wedding answer. Zero credit.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-28-22, 02:29 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Actually shouldn't be riding any bikes at all. Walking and running provide the same training benefit with zero cost except for a good pair of shoes.

And, the shoes and clothing required for walking and running are really only necessary because of societal norms.
In true “Born to Run” nutter style I only run barefoot in a loincloth and subsist solely on quinoa
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-28-22, 03:33 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Tubeless disc and $3k budget, I'd go with Zipp 303 Firecrest laced to Chris King RD45s.
25mm i.d., Roughly 1300g and 40mm aero depth. It's a wheelset that can be used for just about anything, road/gravel/cx and will insanely fast and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can run 28mm road and go as wide as you want from there.

I have Zipp 303s and love them. The thought of 300g lighter, 2mm wider and some bombproof fancy hubs on those wheels sounds pretty awesome to me.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-28-22, 04:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

In true “Born to Run” nutter style I only run barefoot in a loincloth and subsist solely on quinoa
So nouveau, what with the quinoa diet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.