Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Remember Specialized's wheels that sure looked tubeless but weren't? Update!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Remember Specialized's wheels that sure looked tubeless but weren't? Update!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 05:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Interesting.
You realize that the excerpt was all in reference to the process of setting up and switching tires for the purposes of safety testing, right?

​​​​​
Old 05-12-22, 06:00 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I agree the marketing BS was laughable and easy to see straight through, but they were backed into a corner. Had their marketing been truthful (i.e. Sorry guys these rims are tube only because we accidentally made them too flimsy to be safe tubeless) then I doubt they would have sold many!
Yup, they were in a tough position, no doubt... but when someone touts them as acting with integrity? Well, blustering and ********ting ain't it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-12-22, 06:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by cyclezen
I get it. You're not a Specialized Fanboy... LOL!
And, yes, corporations, by definition, are not your grandma.
Given that, it's good to be discerning. And also have strong appropriate regulatory mechanisms and product guidelines, like TUV.
Regardless of size, all cycling companies are there to sell their product, as aggressively as they're able. Big doesn't mean 'Bad', small doesn't mean 'good'.
But assuming that they will 'misslead' whenever something creates a snag, is a bit too 'Q', unless there's a strong history of bad intent.
Peter Sagan pulls a *****, because he's Pete... and causes something which no one expected or checked for... before...
So Spec had wheelsets to sell, expecting they would be Tubeless - now what do they do? Still sell them as Tubeless or release then as tube only wheels - which reduces the risk of the Sagan incident. And then do everything needed to understand and re-design and improve the wheelset.
You buy a wheelset labeled for 'tube-only' and then go tubeless, and then do a Sagan T-bone at 25 mph, it's all on you, if the outcome is not that great.
I've had some real crap Eggbeaters...
Had multiple crap Bontrager hubs - mustta been really crap design.
I don;t buy Continental tubes, because they have consistently been crap - but I do love their GP4k (haven't used the 5 yet...)
Evil intent, sinister, Monsanto/Bayer corporate policy?
'Sinister' usually shows very obviously...
Wheels which pass the common testing methodology are just that. Not misleading. Especially when usage specs are clearly noted.
If testing standards are not correct or rigorous enough, well that's a situation which needs addressing, globally.
The 'read' seems to show an inclination to look further when something unusual and unexpected happens - rather than chalk it up as an anomaly.
...just sayin
Ride On
Yuri
Sorry, I can't parse this at my current level of caffeination, but I will say that I'm not particularly anti-Specialized. I recognize that there are many moving parts to the company - I think that their R&D is awesome and that they make some great products (their bikes are always candidates for new builds, I still only wear Spec helmets, and I'd still be wearing their shoes [if they hadn't changed them] and riding their saddles [if they didn't break under me]), but their marketing department can be farcical and they're a wee bit aggressive in terms of litigiousness.
Old 05-12-22, 06:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup, they were in a tough position, no doubt... but when someone touts them as acting with integrity? Well, blustering and ********ting ain't it.
I tend to agree. They just did what they felt was necessary to cover their backsides against litigation, while marketing went to work on the BS cover-up. I think all the other big players would have done exactly the same, had they made the same mistake.
Old 05-12-22, 06:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
but their marketing department can be farcical
I wouldn't rate their marketing any more or less farcical than their competitors. Not that I've paid much attention to marketing scripts. The obvious catch with this particular BS was that they had been actively promoting the merits of tubeless for years right up to that point. So it was an obvious stand-out that something was amiss.
Old 05-12-22, 06:24 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I agree, they were backed into a corner. I feel fine with owning a Specialized bike given what they did here.

What doesn't make me feel good about owning one of their bikes is the recent nose bleed price increases and throwing their dealers under the bus. Probably moving on to another company for my next bike.
Old 05-12-22, 09:19 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Even as #teamtubeless devotees will admit, tubeless setups are messier & slower than inner tubes

Interesting.
Slower as in... slower to set up.

EDIT: I agree that was poorly phrased. Seems that that sentence has since been edited.

Last edited by smashndash; 05-12-22 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 10:09 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I tend to agree. They just did what they felt was necessary to cover their backsides against litigation, while marketing went to work on the BS cover-up. I think all the other big players would have done exactly the same, had they made the same mistake.
Hm. Not sure about that. Someone in VeloClub called up Enve and they confirmed that their impact testing is done with a tubeless setup. We still don't know how many companies actually tested with a tube vs tubeless internally. So I think you could argue that some other big players wouldn't have put themselves in this position in the first place.

Let's see. Roval has made themselves vulnerable by claiming that testing with tubes is an industry standard. Other wheel manufacturers now have the opportunity to make them bleed for saying that.
Old 05-13-22, 04:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smashndash
Hm. Not sure about that. Someone in VeloClub called up Enve and they confirmed that their impact testing is done with a tubeless setup. We still don't know how many companies actually tested with a tube vs tubeless internally. So I think you could argue that some other big players wouldn't have put themselves in this position in the first place.

Let's see. Roval has made themselves vulnerable by claiming that testing with tubes is an industry standard. Other wheel manufacturers now have the opportunity to make them bleed for saying that.
Yeah, that's why I qualified it with "had they made the same mistake". I was talking about how they would have handled the PR fallout in the same situation. Avoding the mistake is a different discussion.

But it's a good point about claiming that testing only with tubes is an industry wide standard, implying that nobody else has tested with a tubeless setup. Roval wouldn't even know exactly how all their competitors conduct their internal testing, regardless of any "standard". But did Roval actually make that claim, or was it just Cycling Tips conjecture? From reading the linked article it just seems like Roval highlighted the potential issue with the previous standard test and proposed a new revision for other manufacturers to reference.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-13-22 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 07:34 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Here is what the article in fact states:

Wheel companies conduct a dizzying array of lab tests, and generally speaking, carbon wheels are remarkably durable these days. However, to the best of my knowledge, most of this testing is done with inner tubes fitted regardless of how the wheel is intended to be used.
It doesn't mention Roval specifically in any way, only wheel companies in general. The "my" here is Cyclingtips, it is their own conjecture about how wheel companies generrally test wheels. Which may or may not be accurate, but Roval certainly didn't make any claim about industry testing standards.
Old 05-15-22, 07:51 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by scottfsmith

It doesn't mention Roval specifically in any way, only wheel companies in general. The "my" here is Cyclingtips, it is their own conjecture about how wheel companies generrally test wheels. Which may or may not be accurate, but Roval certainly didn't make any claim about industry testing standards.
I agree. It would appear that the current ASTM standard does not include tubeless testing (hence the Cycling Tips conjecture) and that Roval, during the course of their revised internal testing, proposed a new ASTM standard to share across the industry. It is unknown how other companies actually conduct their own internal testing, but if they are testing with tubeless tyres then they are going above and beyond the ASTM standard protocol. There is nothing here to make Roval look bad. In any case it does appear that the ASTM standard is due for a revision based on Roval's unfortunate experience.