Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 06-27-22, 11:29 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Cycling related question: Recall I set up my Ultegra R8000 groupset a few months ago and have been quite pleased. I was even bragging that I did not need a chain catcher because it "never" drops a chain.

Now, with a few months a a couple thousand miles on the groupset, the evil eye must have gotten to me because the past two rides I have dropped the chain, a total of only 3 drops but each one is a nuisance. It's dropping when going from big to little chainring, sometimes it drops outright, sometimes the crankset seems to "lock" due to chain wraparound (if that's the right term) as part of the process.

Any suggestions on whether its a tweak adjustment in the chain tension? I know I set up the limit screws etc. perfectly so I had thought that was a once-in-a-lifetime setup but I am unsure what to do to fix this.

Ideas??
Derailluer height. Sounds to high. Chain getting wedged between the ring and cage.
Old 06-27-22, 11:50 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Looking at my footage from todays ride, I’ve reached the conclusion, I suck at filming.

Also, none of my footage grasped what I was trying to show.

Sigh, Velo made it look so easy. I also didn’t see how to use the slow motion function.
Old 06-27-22, 11:51 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Some folks hereabouts have resorted to astroturf. Then weeds grow up in the joints between sections of carpet turf.
There is a house we pass which has Astroturf and you can see the yard lines and even the numbers.
Old 06-27-22, 11:53 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I had cowboy boots as a kid, as part of my Lone Ranger outfit.
I have 3 pair, yes I wear them. They are my favorite foot ware
Old 06-27-22, 12:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Looking at my footage from todays ride, I’ve reached the conclusion, I suck at filming.

Also, none of my footage grasped what I was trying to show.

Sigh, Velo made it look so easy. I also didn’t see how to use the slow motion function.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-27-22, 12:01 PM
big john

Mark Cavendish wins British national championships road race - VeloNews.com
Likes For big john:
Old 06-27-22, 12:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Facebook memory photo. Proofreading is fundamental.

Old 06-27-22, 12:06 PM
ls01
he said member

So my 16 Tarmac is finally noise free. No more random tick, tick tick sounds. Turns out it was the seat post/internal (infernal) clamp. Last Thursday I had a little time before the ride so I pulled it apart to service it in a desperate attempt to make it stop. However. When the seat post came out the clamp went in...as in ,into the seat tube. Then when I flipped it upside down only half came out. The wedge portion went up the seat tube into the head tube. And while manipulating the bike it finally came to rest in the top tube. No matter what I did it went the wrong way. Then it got stuck in the top tube. I shook it and bounced it. Finally after about 10 minutes it came free and I hot it back into the head tube. But it wouldn't drop into the down tube. SO I had to pull the stem and drop the fork. Plop, there it is. I'm completely sweated through my kit by this time and getting grease everywhere from my over serviced headset. I fought with the post clamp for a half hour. Then it hit me. Lay the bike on its side. Insert the wedge and bolt parts , slide the post in. Stand it up and finish. Worked the first time. No more noise.
Old 06-27-22, 12:14 PM
ls01
he said member

So my 16 Tarmac is finally noise free. No more random tick, tick tick sounds. Turns out it was the seat post/internal (infernal) clamp. Last Thursday I had a little time before the ride so I pulled it apart to service it in a desperate attempt to make it stop. However. When the seat post came out the clamp went in...as in ,into the seat tube. Then when I flipped it upside down only half came out. The wedge portion went up the seat tube into the head tube. And while manipulating the bike it finally came to rest in the top tube. No matter what I did it went the wrong way. Then it got stuck in the top tube. I shook it and bounced it. Finally after about 10 minutes it came free and I got it back into the head tube. But it wouldn't drop into the down tube. SO I had to pull the stem and drop the fork. Plop, there it is. I'm completely sweated through my kit by this time and getting grease everywhere from my over serviced headset. I fought with the post clamp for a half hour. Then it hit me. Lay the bike on its side. Insert the wedge and bolt parts , slide the post in. Stand it up and finish. Worked the first time. No more noise.

But, I almost missed my ride by the time I got it back together. Now that the weight of this bike is lower, I like it a lot more than I used to.

And the Spyre brakes are proving to be a hit. I like them, they work well. They don't rub, unlike the hydro units. I think they would be better with compressionless outer cable housings but for now I'm satisfied with them
Likes For ls01:
Old 06-27-22, 12:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Facebook memory photo. Proofreading is fundamental.

Wha'd they do that fo'?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-27-22, 12:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by ls01
So my 16 Tarmac is finally noise free. No more random tick, tick tick sounds. Turns out it was the seat post/internal (infernal) clamp. Last Thursday I had a little time before the ride so I pulled it apart to service it in a desperate attempt to make it stop. However. When the seat post came out the clamp went in...as in ,into the seat tube. Then when I flipped it upside down only half came out. The wedge portion went up the seat tube into the head tube. And while manipulating the bike it finally came to rest in the top tube. No matter what I did it went the wrong way. Then it got stuck in the top tube. I shook it and bounced it. Finally after about 10 minutes it came free and I hot it back into the head tube. But it wouldn't drop into the down tube. SO I had to pull the stem and drop the fork. Plop, there it is. I'm completely sweated through my kit by this time and getting grease everywhere from my over serviced headset. I fought with the post clamp for a half hour. Then it hit me. Lay the bike on its side. Insert the wedge and bolt parts , slide the post in. Stand it up and finish. Worked the first time. No more noise.
The guy who assembled my mountain bike didn't tighten the ferrule/clamp on the dropper post cable. It's internal, so when it fell off it went to the bottom of the seat tube and when I tried to retrieve it by flipping the bike it went up the down tube. I left it in there thinking I would order a new one but the rattling drove me to fight it some more and it finally came out.
Old 06-27-22, 12:17 PM
big john

Wha'd they do that fo'?
fo' sho'?
Old 06-27-22, 12:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
fo' sho'?
This reminds me of Roy Blount Jr., a Southern writer who took issue with Al Capp's "Li'l Abner" and the use of "Yo" in place of "You", when everyone knows "Yo" is a contraction of "Your".

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-27-22, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Wha'd they do that fo'?
Do you remember NBA great Moses Malone? At the end of the '82-'83 regular season, after the Sixers had won 65 games (They had a chance to win what would have been a record-setting 70 regular season games, but Doc got injured late so they rested him.), a reporter asked him how he thought the playoffs would go. Moses responded "Fo', fo' fo'." (Back then, the playoffs consisted of three seven-game series.) The Sixers swept the Nets in four. They then won the first two against the Bucks but lost game three. Moses was again asked what he thought would happen. He responded "Fo', five fo'." The Sixers went on to defeat the Bucks in five and then sweep the Lakers in four.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-27-22, 01:18 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
What a bargain. Too bad there's not much scenery in Tulsa.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...zillowgonewild
Old 06-27-22, 01:27 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

Ewww. Looks like a bunch of mold and other surprises waiting to be discovered.

Plus, the finish out is really cheap looking.
Old 06-27-22, 01:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Ooh, eBikes making the scene at the German Film Awards!!!

Old 06-27-22, 01:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Ewww. Looks like a bunch of mold and other surprises waiting to be discovered.

Plus, the finish out is really cheap looking.
Definitely a fixer-upper. I'd mainly be wanting to move it within 50 miles of some mountains or water, or something to look at

Yeah, whoever chose that front door and sidelights should be banned from Home Depot.
Old 06-27-22, 01:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"Starting with a personal elevator ride to the top floor..." TOP floor? More like THE floor. Plus, not even 1400 sq ft. On the plus side, you could get up every morning and parade around in the altogether, if you're so inclined.

Old 06-27-22, 01:51 PM
Mojo31
-------

Definitely a fixer-upper. I'd mainly be wanting to move it within 50 miles of some mountains or water, or something to look at

Yeah, whoever chose that front door and sidelights should be banned from Home Depot.
"Starting with a personal elevator ride to the top floor..." TOP floor? More like THE floor. Plus, not even 1400 sq ft. On the plus side, you could get up every morning and parade around in the altogether, if you're so inclined.
Would not want to be living on the top of a golf tee in tornado alley!

Elevators are costly to maintain and keep running. My future in-laws have one, and I'd hate to be dependent on it to get into or out of my living space.

I can walk around my house now in a clothing optional manner if I want.

As for decor, how about the water heater and laundry machines in the bathroom? And the cheap suspended ceilings? That's some luxury living. Nah.

That black mold is going to be expensive to eradicate! If you don't die first.

Last edited by Mojo31; 06-27-22 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-27-22, 02:04 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by DougRNS
All this modern bike drivetrain woe I am reading makes me want to go back to this:

yesterday at a flea market I saw a bike like the one on the far right - Cheater Slick Dragster - still had the original seat (seat was a bit rough though)

I have a late 60's or early 70's Stingray - I ride it often around our house (driveway, private road)

it's a blast to ride - big difference compared to contemporary bike ...

but gotta be careful if you get the (bad) idea to pop a 'wheelie' - anything more than a slight lean back and the front tire will be pointing at the sky
Old 06-27-22, 02:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Would not want to be living on the top of a golf tee in tornado alley!

Elevators are costly to maintain and keep running. My future in-laws have one, and I'd hate to be dependent on it to get into or out of my living space.

I can walk around my house now in a clothing optional manner if I want.

As for decor, how about the water heater and laundry machines in the bathroom? And the cheap suspended ceilings? That's some luxury living. Nah.
Yes, but not in front of All of Tulsa.

Careful not to bump the gas line to the water heater when you're taking a crap.

Old 06-27-22, 02:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Peeing in the pool is actually bad for you: Peeing in the Pool Isn’t Just Gross—It’s Actually Bad for You (msn.com)

Good to know.
Old 06-27-22, 02:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Yes, but not in front of All of Tulsa.

Now you are just bragging, judging from the distance between that place and Tulsa.

Old 06-27-22, 02:12 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Tulsa? I don't think Oklahoma is ready for the Korean Jewish family with the vegetarian father in lycra and the lesbian musician daughter.

Amiright?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.