Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally grabbed a Schwinn Le Tour 1980 12 Speed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally grabbed a Schwinn Le Tour 1980 12 Speed

Old 06-30-22, 01:05 PM
RidingAroundCT

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
If the tires are old and dried out, I would replace them with new.
The trailer will add weight which will work against the brakes. How old are those brake pads? If you are going to pull this trailer in wet or rainy weather Kool Stop brake pads will greatly improve stopping.
If you are in a hilly area, you may find the gearing a bit high for uphill work. The trailer will make that worse, if it is heavy.

Yeah definitely replacing tires and brakes. Brakes are just as old as the tires
Old 06-30-22, 07:34 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’d definitely follow the tire/tube (& perhaps brake pad) recommendations already suggested!

RE: the trailer question, in my opinion (it’s worth what you pay for it), pulling a trailer with that bike might not be the best option. I’d suggest your wife’s bike ! As mentioned, the gearing isn’t low enough. Just about any hill would be a challenge. It wasn’t (despite its name) truly designed to be a loaded touring bike (again, my opinion). To be sure, it will be a great bike for cruising around on Connecticut back roads if there aren’t too many hills. If pulling a trailer is a necessity, I’d consider getting a bike better suited to the task.
Likes For sovende:
Old 06-30-22, 09:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
I had an 89 letour. Excellent framesets. True temper is nice steel.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-01-22, 06:49 AM
RidingAroundCT

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour 1988 12 Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I’d definitely follow the tire/tube (& perhaps brake pad) recommendations already suggested!

RE: the trailer question, in my opinion (it’s worth what you pay for it), pulling a trailer with that bike might not be the best option. I’d suggest your wife’s bike ! As mentioned, the gearing isn’t low enough. Just about any hill would be a challenge. It wasn’t (despite its name) truly designed to be a loaded touring bike (again, my opinion). To be sure, it will be a great bike for cruising around on Connecticut back roads if there aren’t too many hills. If pulling a trailer is a necessity, I’d consider getting a bike better suited to the task.
fair enough! thanks for the info. Yeah sooner or later I wouldn't mind getting a trailer but I definitely want to make sure I have the right bike for it and a quality trailer. I might actually have to grab the wife's bike for it LOL. She has some 10 yr old random Huffy mountain bike with purple accents and a sparkle seat! Can't wait to ride that thing down main street with a trailer haha