Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Curvy geometry vs. straight geometry

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 01:08 PM
maltess2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I am deciding between these 2 bikes. In the general forum, a menber explained that in his experience straight frames are more reliable and light than frames made with a more curvy geometry, like the Willy. What do you guys think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
238349_91902_tif_zoom_1.jpg (81.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
mdb-f5824_rs4428_bassano.jpg (94.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-17-15, 01:27 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Put that member on your 'block' list. He doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground.
Old 06-17-15, 01:38 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoever told you that is either stupid or f**king with you.
Old 06-17-15, 01:42 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Found it:

Originally Posted by vatdim
In my experience as a cyclist and from what I've read in various books, the straighter the frame tubes, the better the bike handles and, more importantly, the better it endures heavier loads. The classic geometry is 2 triangles for this reason. The Scott pretty much has it, but the Wilier not so much. If you look closely, you can spot that the top tube makes a slight curve downwards right before reaching the seat post. Also, even harder to notice, is that the seatstays are actually curved slightly. Take an object that has a straight line and put it next to these tubes, you will see the curve.

Now many people would wave off such worries by saying that technology has made such things possible, etc. I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying that I personally prefer the classic geometry that the Scott has, since I feel it'd ride better and be more durable in the long run.
Maltess2 - please realize that vatdim has no idea what he is talking about. People can have whatever preference they like for whatever reasons they like, but suggesting he can recognize some difference between the bikes based on the curviness of the frame tube junctions is one of the most ignorant and ridiculous things I have ever read on BF.
Old 06-17-15, 02:02 PM
vatdim

Bikes: Drag Grizzly, Raleigh Pioneer Venture GT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Found it:

Maltess2 - please realize that vatdim has no idea what he is talking about. People can have whatever preference they like for whatever reasons they like, but suggesting he can recognize some difference between the bikes based on the curviness of the frame tube junctions is one of the most ignorant and ridiculous things I have ever read on BF.
I'm not a pro framebuilder, neither did I say I was. Fact of the matter is, I've seen plenty more curvy frames getting cracked. It's enough reason for me to avoid getting any for the bikes I choose. Make what you want of that.
Old 06-17-15, 02:07 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It would make sense to me that a tube with a compound curve might be stiffer in a flexy situation. Cracking & breaking would have a lot to do with the construction of that tube & not the shape. Looks are a whole different matter .
Old 06-17-15, 02:51 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

I'm not a pro framebuilder, neither did I say I was. Fact of the matter is, I've seen plenty more curvy frames getting cracked. It's enough reason for me to avoid getting any for the bikes I choose. Make what you want of that.
One of your claims was that you read in 'various books' something that agrees with your outlook on frame design. What books were these?
Old 06-17-15, 03:53 PM
vatdim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
One of your claims was that you read in 'various books' something that agrees with your outlook on frame design. What books were these?
I don't remember the exact source where I came across this information laid out with more details (it was about 2-3 years ago). Since I found it made sense in terms of physics, I simply accepted it as a fact at that point. Also, since my own experience and that of people I know of agrees with it, I still feel this way. And I wouldn't recommend something I know I personally wouldn't use, hence my post.

Just something from Sheldon Brown for maltess2 to consider:

Frame
The skeleton of a bicycle. The most common type of frame is called the "diamond" frame, and consists of two (of three, depending on how you look at it) triangles.
  • The front triangle consists of the seat tube, the top tube, and the down tube...well, it also includes the head tube, so is is not a perfect triangle, but the head tube is usually fairly short, so it is pretty close to being a triangle. The front triangle holds the saddle, the bottom bracket, and, via the headset, the front fork.
  • The rear triangle (or triangles, if you count both sides separately) includes the seat tube, seat stays and chain stays.
The diamond frame has evolved over the course of more than a century, and every dimension has been tinkered with and fine-tuned to the point that it is a nearly perfect design for the tubular materials commonly used.
And also:

Diamond Frame
This is the standard design for a bicycle frame, and has been for over a hundred years, since it supplanted the cross frame. It is one of the most nearly perfect pieces of design known, due to the extreme amount of refinement it has undergone over the last century, and its purity of form. It is unlikely that the diamond frame will ever be surpassed as a way to build a rigid-frame bicycle, using joined tubes as a construction medium. This is not to say that the diamond frame is the end-all and be-all of bicycle design. Monocoque construction with suitable materials has real merit, and the design of bicycles with rear suspension is at a stage where many different designs appear viable.
Old 06-17-15, 04:41 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember the exact source where I came across this information laid out with more details (it was about 2-3 years ago). Since I found it made sense in terms of physics, I simply accepted it as a fact at that point. Also, since my own experience and that of people I know of agrees with it, I still feel this way. And I wouldn't recommend something I know I personally wouldn't use, hence my post.
You do realize that the Wilier geometry is still really a diamond frame, right? And that "straight is strong, curved is weak" is such a primitive oversimplification that it is little more than superstition? An arched opening is far stronger than a rectangular one, for instance. You can admit you really don't know what you're talking about or you can dig in and continue to insist on nonsense. Your choice.
Old 06-17-15, 05:14 PM
Mark Kelly 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with Vatdim. Curvy tubes are the output of designers, not engineers.

As the large companies push the envelope with frame weight, the curvy tubes are disappearing. Why?

Because a straight tube is stiffer and stronger.

It's easy to demonstrate: make a straight tube and a curved tube the same length and with the same layup and compress them axially to fracture. The curved tube will show more strain for a given load (eg it's less stiff) and will collapse at a much lower load. This was predicted by Leonhard Euler almost three centuries ago (Google Euler column buckling).

The same goes with extensional or torsional loads, for different reasons.

An arch is strong when loaded on the arch, which a bicycle tube isn't.

Last edited by Mark Kelly; 06-17-15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-17-15, 05:46 PM
vatdim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
I agree with Vatdim. Curvy tubes are the output of designers, not engineers.

As the large companies push the envelope with frame weight, the curvy tubes are disappearing. Why?

Because a straight tube is stiffer and stronger.

It's easy to demonstrate: make a straight tube and a curved tube the same length and with the same layup and compress them axially to fracture. The curved tube will show more strain for a given load (eg it's less stiff) and will collapse at a much lower load. This was predicted by Leonhard Euler almost three centuries ago (Google Euler column buckling).

The same goes with extensional or torsional loads, for different reasons.

An arch is strong when loaded on the arch, which a bicycle tube isn't.
Thank you for giving the real scientific explanation to what I'd been trying to get across using my oversimplified terms.
@Cyclosaurus: I already said, I'm not a professional, I'm just a cyclist. I give friendly advice based on what I have read and experienced over time. That's all.
Old 06-17-15, 08:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I feel like it's really difficult to come to the conclusion that curved tubes would be less suitable for frame construction. The tubes aren't simply supported, so the stress analysis is not going to be simple. And I'm sure the layup is different for curved tubes. Thus, I have my doubts that there are any significant differences in the ride of a curved tube bike. Having said that, curved tubes are mostly a styling and bull**** marketing exercise
Old 06-18-15, 08:17 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I feel like it's really difficult to come to the conclusion that curved tubes would be less suitable for frame construction. The tubes aren't simply supported, so the stress analysis is not going to be simple. And I'm sure the layup is different for curved tubes. Thus, I have my doubts that there are any significant differences in the ride of a curved tube bike. Having said that, curved tubes are mostly a styling and bull**** marketing exercise
And that is the essential truth in all of this.

J.
Old 06-18-15, 08:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"geometry" in bikes is angles and distances between centerlines ..

When there were rules against Logos on race frames, 1 British company started making Curvy Rear triangle tubes ..
Old 06-18-15, 02:19 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Curved tubes can be aesthetically pleasing and are sometime functional (chainstays/seatstays for tire clearance, seat tube for short wheelbase, fork blades for some level of suspension or for unicrown designs). But it is true that they are slightly weaker and heavier (longer, and thicker-walled if mandrel-bent) than their straight counterpart. If they are properly designed the resulting bike should be perfectly reliable, and I'm sure the Wilier is.
Old 06-18-15, 03:24 PM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Put a curved tube in there and it takes more material to bridge the gap. That's weight.
Old 06-19-15, 05:22 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Just speaking as an engineer:

Curved tubes have more length, hence more mass = weight.

Curved tubes are more flexible than an equivalent straight tube of the same material, construction, and dimensions.

If there are high compression loads, the curved tube should buckle (i.e. become destroyed) with less axial force than the equivalent straight tube.

If the curved tube is metal and has been given its curvature by bending, it has already been cold-set one time more than the equivalent straight tube. This means it is closer to its final failure.

The same problems exist with composite tubes, but there is the option to add material or optimize the use of material (asymmetric layup, or control of fiber direction) to manage stress distribution. But this has to add weight and cost compared to a straight tube intended to satisfy the same purpose.

I don't see any benefits to curved bicycle tubes other than aesthetics (the Hetchins) or in some cases providing a degree of bump absorption (curved fork blades).
Old 06-19-15, 06:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I am also an engineer, and I say that most of the speculation in this thread supporting the thesis that curved tubes are inferior is without basis. The mental model of tubes as a simply supported beam doesn't fly. I think the long practice of using curved tubes without any problem demonstrates that there are no significant differences between curved and straight tubes in a bicycle structure. Go do a survey of bike racks, and you'll see. Ductile metal tubes are made by repeated cold deformation processes, it doesn't hurt anything. Rolling or bending it any other way doesn't seem to hurt it either, that's not where you see failures
Old 06-19-15, 07:05 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I think people are just pointing out why curved tubes aren't superior which is what people are being led to believe. If something is more complex or requires additional steps to manufacture it has to be better.
Old 06-19-15, 07:12 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Canaboo
I think people are just pointing out why curved tubes aren't superior which is what people are being led to believe.
Such a statement I could believe. But Vatdim's exact words were:

the straighter the frame tubes, the better the bike handles and, more importantly, the better it endures heavier loads
and also:
I've seen plenty more curvy frames getting cracked.
Old 06-19-15, 08:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Curved frame sections might well be superior. There aren't too many perfectly straight or symmetric sections in nature. I doubt anyone has really gotten into structural optimization for bike frames. My guess is that if they did, they would find that the sections would not be straight
Old 06-19-15, 08:24 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for all this input. By looking closely at the specs, the Scott has a bit of better components in general except for the wheels, which ara bit better in the Willy. What frame would you think is better constructed and designed? better in terms of quality, both of them are double butler.
Old 06-19-15, 08:35 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by maltess2
Thanks a lot for all this input. By looking closely at the specs, the Scott has a bit of better components in general except for the wheels, which ara bit better in the Willy. What frame would you think is better constructed and designed? better in terms of quality, both of them are double butler.
Heh. You gotta be quite wealthy to afford double butlers with your bike frame

In case this was not an auto-correct mistake, the correct descriptor for a tube where the wall thickness is different at the ends than in the middle is 'double butted'

In reality, the quality difference between them is negligible. They are quite likely made in the same contract manufacturing facility in Asia. And if you were concerned about component quality, the wheels are the one component that can possibly make a difference to the ride on a new bike (possibly, but probably still barely or not noticeable). Get whichever one fits better. If they fit the same, get the one you like more for whatever reason (aesthetics, colour, handlebar tape texture, etc). If you don't like one more than the other, buy the one that is sold by the shop you like better.
Old 06-19-15, 11:04 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, and sorry about the misspelling. What about these two frames design wise? is there any of the two more interesting than the other?

Last edited by maltess2; 06-19-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 11:12 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I'd love to see some finite element analysis images showing stresses in straight vs. curved geo frames.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.