Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling dreams

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling dreams

Old 06-20-17, 07:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Cycling dreams

Any good ones?

I sometimes have the running-thru-molasses equivalent- riding w/ tiny cranks, no speed.

Last night: fast group ride, road closing into dirt trail, 5' rock drop off, rear wheel pogo hopping down on two rock projections. Stoked.
Old 06-21-17, 10:05 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
I was involved in so many crit pile-ups as a junior and Cat-4 racer, anytime I slept on my side, I risked nightmares of sliding on my hip again.
Old 06-21-17, 02:22 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I am a long distance cyclist who has participated in a lot of long distance cycling events.

I dream a particular cycling dream a few times each year ... sometimes every couple weeks for a while.

In the dream, I'm on a 1000 km or 1200 km or longer timed event. These events have quite tight time limits. There isn't a lot of time for things like eating, sleeping, or fussing about and not riding.

But in the dream, I've reached about the 400 km point, where I would sleep on a real event, and when I get there, I discover I'm missing stuff like essential pieces of clothing or tools, or I doddle over eating for some reason, or I oversleep ... something goes wrong every time in the dream. And usually I feel like I'm moving in slow motion but with a desperate sense of urgency to get going already. Sometimes I do get on the road again, but I'm so far behind time there's hardly any hope of making it up ... other times I don't get on the road again. But at that point I usually wake feeling rather disheartened and frustrated.

Drives me crazy!!
Old 06-21-17, 04:06 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mine usually involve dogs ever since one bit me, and usually are not remembered after waking other than vague sense I was on a bike and a dog chased me. I had one memorable dream where I showed up to a metric century charity ride and had grabbed the wrong bike, my daughter's pink and white 16" wheel bike, and did the ride anyway.
Old 06-21-17, 04:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I have never dreamed that I was cycling.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Likes For rpenmanparker:
Old 06-21-17, 05:51 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I try to stay awake while cycling, so, no. No cycling dreams.
Old 06-22-17, 04:16 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a dream exactly, but last night, drifting off to sleep, I had the sensation of riding a bike. You know how after doing something intensely for a long time, your get the sensation that you're still doing it even after you've stopped?

Although I hadn't ridden very far yesterday, I rode often, up to 30 minutes at a time: from Port Authority to the gym, 15 minute spin of stationary bike, ride to meeting and back to office in the morning, ride from office to another meeting, short ride from meeting to site visit, then a short spin around the lower end of Central park before heading through Times Square to Port Authority for return home.

The funny thing about the Citibikes is that they're simultaneously easy and difficult. The gearing facilitates getting the 45 lb bike underway from a stop and up inclines, but it still feels like you're riding an elephant. Then, when it comes to flats and negative grades, it's easy to cruise along in their top gear, but at just -2%, you're spinning out before you've gone 20 yards. So at the end of the day, it turns out I'd spent nearly two hours on Citibikes. Normally it has to be more like 8 hours of riding before I get that sensation of still being on the bike when drifting off to sleep. But factor in the bike's relative unwieldiness and all the zig-zagging associated with crossing town diagonally, dealing with traffic and such, it felt like I had been on the bike ALL DAY.

Last edited by kbarch; 06-22-17 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 04:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
cycling dreams

For the first few years when I started commuting to work, I would dream that I had to be there for a critical procedure the first thing in the morning, and I was too far away to get there on time. Much like that paradigmatic dream of going for a final exam, and can’t find the room / didn’t attend the class.
Old 06-22-17, 07:42 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I can only think of two cycling dreams I've had.

One dream starts with me cycling down a road. The road becomes more and more crowded with people. To the point that I'm kind of pushing myself through them. In that weird dream logic way...the scene transforms into the interior of a department type store and the people are replaced with those round clothes racks.

The second dream involved another BF member (I'm not going to say who). In the dream I was travelling around (like a vacation) and made arraignments to stay with them. We were going to go cycling together. They wanted to show me their collection of bicycles so I could pick one to ride. The bicycles were in a shed behind their house and we had to walk on a grassy wind swept hill to reach it. At the same time their dog was following and bouncing around us. Sadly, I woke up before we got to the shed. However, it was a nice visit.
Old 06-22-17, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
never dreamed I wish I had a cycling dream. until now. thanks a lot :/
Old 06-22-17, 04:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For a period of time when I wasn't riding much, I would lull myself to sleep by mentally riding through a 33 mile one-way commute that I used to do frequently. Every stop sign, every pothole, every little climb and scenic view...it was lovely. I usually only got halfway to work before falling asleep.

My actual cycling dreams are JRA. Nothing special.
Old 06-23-17, 06:15 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inspired by recent events and this thread, I had a dream last night that I was on a really long group ride - New Jersey Gran Fondo, or some ride to the Catskills or something, but I'd brought a Citibike. The bike itself wasn't an issue, by the fact that I'd had it out for over five hours (and still needed to get all the way back to the city) was. I was gonna have to pay a LOT of overtime charges!
Old 07-03-17, 11:57 AM
woodcraft

Group ride on a local curvy, wooded road.

Came to the front as the road straightened, & put out some effort.

Looked back to see that I had dropped the group, slowed & one caught up.

As the rider approached, had trouble getting back up to speed because I was riding on a flattened straw wattle which ran along the edge of the road.

Tried to push off with my feet as per rpenmanparker, without success.
Old 07-03-17, 04:07 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
a few nights ago i thought my hub had a lot of slop/freeplay and i thought i would need to tweak it

annoying
Old 07-03-17, 07:04 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After 50 miles of hot headwind and no water last year at DK I dreamed of biking in a headwind.
Old 07-08-17, 11:00 AM
woodcraft

Riding down slightly technical grassy trail to the beach w/ gf on handlebars.

Being careful to pick a smooth line. Power into last little hill (dune?), gf jumps off & scrambles up the last bit as bike stalls

& I prepare to drag bike up the last few feet.
Old 07-08-17, 11:30 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Why does this thread title remind me of Robin Leach?

Old 07-29-17, 08:09 AM
woodcraft

Riding up into the mountains to camp for ~ four days.

Wearing a small shoulder bag, and carrying a sleeping bag under one arm.

Making good time- pass several riders. Detour off road to short dirt/brush section,

front wheel slides out & dab a foot because riding one-handed.
Old 12-02-18, 11:29 PM
woodcraft

Camping-type situation.

I am on an old cruiser, & ride off a lip into a pond.

Am somehow able to pogo-hop/launch up out of chest deep water repeatedly, having a great time.

Ends with being underwater & grabbing the bike by the bars to pull it out of the water.
Old 12-03-18, 05:58 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have a recurring dream, well more of a nightmare. I am riding in the TdF, finishing in Paris.

Then I realize that I am...naked!
Old 12-03-18, 06:22 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
just once and fairly recently. riding a black road bike solo (and helmetless) midday at the base of the pyrenees on a relatively warm day and decided to
take a road climbing along the edge of the mountain (similar to the one leading to the col d' aubisque) with the flats/valley far below. led to a plateau with a
seaplane depositing a few passengers/local folks (using the plane as a regional ferry) at a small dock on a smallish lake atop the plateau. i was amazed at
how the pilot was able to land the seaplane in such a diminutive lake/pond. countryside on the plateau was green with few trees, slightly rolling mixed with flats
and what little traffic there was was really slow. stopped at a little store for a charcuterie plate, a few slices of olive bread and some chilled mineral water.
while there, i watched some local old-timers chat away in french and smoke their pipes. i remember trying to "suffer" and really push the pace at certain times
but it all seemed so easy.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-03-18 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-03-18, 10:41 AM
woodcraft

Nice one ooga-booga!

Riding a fixed gear around the (nominally) UC Berkeley campus, looking for the bike shop.

Lots of stairs, some of which I am able to ride up. Sit in on a class & look at an art exhibit.

(Prompted by the 'oldest clothing' thread)
Old 12-03-18, 01:01 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Cycling dreams

Any good ones?

NOPE
Old 08-08-20, 09:36 PM
woodcraft

Riding along at a good clip, and a rider comes from the left. I punch it to get ahead of him, but he is stronger and gives me the look as he pulls ahead, but doesn't turn and sails off the embankment at the edge of the road, airborne, dropping 50 or 100' to a grassy area below. I slow & stop to see if he's OK, & he is pushing the bike along- the tires have come off.
Old 08-09-20, 05:42 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
I've dreamt a couple of times that I've had my bike stolen, and been utterly distraught, just like I was on the two occasions this happened to me in real life. I'm clearly not over it!

I cycle quite a lot, and I do wonder sometimes if my legs are pedalling during the night. Thankfully this has not happened to me yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.