Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

the easiest tool to change a tire that I have seen.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-22, 05:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

holly crap this is the best tool I have used for tires. I am not super strong and I have struggled with my marathon plus tires. but I got this puppy today and tested it on a spare wheel and it was not a big deal getting it on or off. I had to use two levers and the tire jack to get them on and it was still la struggle.
I had to put in two levers at a time on the marathons as I could not get a second lever in after the first. this is so easy to start compared to a regular lever. plus its great for weight weenies. its in the uk and it took me a couple of weeks to get it. her is the video of how it works and where to get it.
https://tyreglider.co.uk/product/purchase-tyre-glider-evolution-of-the-tyre-lever/

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 02-04-22 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-04-22, 06:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Nice! Crankbrothers has something similar but that one looks easier to use, pressing with the palm. And guys, skip the doofus in the video and go straight to the link. Has all you need to know w/o suffering.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-04-22, 06:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

no that sucks had one and it is flimsy and bends like crazy. it is not really easier to use then a regular tire iron I found. but if you want couple for free let me know. the Tyre Glider takes a little bit to get the hang of it. a little harder to get under the bead but once done it takes so little effort.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-04-22, 06:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Yep and it's easy to bang your knuckles with the Crankbros. Glider looks good!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-04-22, 06:15 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep and it's easy to bang your knuckles with the Crankbros. Glider looks good!
ya I gave up on it. it bent so bad with the marathons. so far no one in the us has them. Was afraid it would be too hard to hold but it takes so much less force it's not a problem. up up a better video too. wish I bought three one for each bike bag and one for the house so I don't have to dig it out of the bike bag.
Old 02-04-22, 06:29 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I am intrigued, might need to order this.
Old 02-04-22, 06:35 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
Tried to buy four of them from the site you listed.
They wanted $21 to ship to the USA.
They are going to need a cheaper option for shipping before they get my money.

Barry
Old 02-04-22, 06:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Barry2
Tried to buy four of them from the site you listed.
They wanted $21 to ship to the USA.
They are going to need a cheaper option for shipping before they get my money.

Barry
its from the Uk its never going to be cheap. two cost me 16.00 for the effort and time I save its well worth it.
Old 02-04-22, 06:43 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Why is it that when I watch a YouTube for changing tires, its the easy tire to change? How about a deep dish rim with a tire known for its difficulty (size) to get onto the rim?

Same goes for inflation using a pump. Worse one is watching a hand pump with just a forearm strength. Then proceeding it to call it easy.

Also, I never see a rider whose perhaps 5'-2" and 115 lbs. demonstrating a "fixing a flat (puncture)" on a deep dish rim and nearly impossible set of tires.

It's always the burly bike mechanic whose done it zillions of times. Easy-Peasy? What do you learn from that?
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 02-04-22, 06:43 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,201 Times in 692 Posts
Tyre Glider USA

I'm English, I know shipping sucks.

They are going to need USA distribution in a hurry.
I looked on Amazon, nothing. Not even a cheap knockoff.
But that's just a matter of time.

I'm a customer, I've four of them in the Cart right now, just not with expensive shipping.
I wonder just how many they could ship for the same $21 ?

Barry
Old 02-04-22, 06:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Why is it that when I watch a YouTube for changing tires, its the easy tire to change? How about a deep dish rim with a tire known for its difficulty (size) to get onto the rim?

Same goes for inflation using a pump. Worse one is watching a hand pump with just a forearm strength. Then proceeding it to call it easy.

Also, I never see a rider whose perhaps 5'-2" and 115 lbs. demonstrating a "fixing a flat (puncture)" on a deep dish rim and nearly impossible set of tires.

It's always the burly bike mechanic whose done it zillions of times. Easy-Peasy? What do you learn from that?
a marathon plus tire is not easy to change and thats what I tested it on. the first video had him doing one of those bu the way the vide. was shot it was hard to see what was going on. I bet that 115# guy has more arm strength then I do.
Old 02-04-22, 06:49 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I like it. Its a shame about the shipping
Old 02-04-22, 06:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I saw that one you tube a few weeks ago and thought it looked pretty cool.

Old 02-04-22, 06:58 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
a marathon plus tire is not easy to change and that's what I tested it on. the first video had him doing one of those but the way the vide. was shot it was hard to see what was going on. I bet that 115# guy has more arm strength then I do.
Oh, I meant the 115 pound rider 5'-2" would be like your 16 year old daughter, skinny thing

Tires like the Schwalbe on deep dish carbon rims, its usually that combination. Also the new tires these days are a bit wider and built for tubeless-ready rims. Those kind are a bit tougher to even get off.
Old 02-04-22, 07:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Oh, I meant the 115 pound rider 5'-2" would be like your 16 year old daughter, skinny thing

Tires like the Schwalbe on deep dish carbon rims, its usually that combination. Also the new tires these days are a bit wider and built for tubeless-ready rims. Those kind are a bit tougher to even get off.
ya I have tubules ready rims they are a bear. I think the 115 pound girl may have more arm muscle then me.
Old 02-04-22, 07:27 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Very interested to see if this comes to the States. I have a pair of Gatorskins but I find them so hard to mount and dismount, I absolutely hate them. I noticed the guy in the video was mounting a Gatorskin. I would love to be able to mount mine that easily.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-04-22, 08:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have arthritis really bad in my thumbs. I use the Kool Stop tire jack when necessary. I have the Crank Bros. and never liked it. One of the reasons I do not have really deep rims is that I find them more difficult to mount tires. If I am having trouble with mounting, I mount the tires on rims that have always been fairly easy to work with, pump them up to maximum psi, then let them sit for at least overnight. Then pull them off and mount them on the wheels they were acquired for. It seems to me that it helps to lessen the difficulty.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-04-22, 08:17 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have arthritis really bad in my thumbs. I use the Kool Stop tire jack when necessary. I have the Crank Bros. and never liked it. One of the reasons I do not have really deep rims is that I find them more difficult to mount tires. If I am having trouble with mounting, I mount the tires on rims that have always been fairly easy to work with, pump them up to maximum psi, then let them sit for at least overnight. Then pull them off and mount them on the wheels they were acquired for. It seems to me that it helps to lessen the difficulty.
my hands are pretty wimpy you can use the heel of your hand with this it does not take as much grip strength. I was not sure till I tried it out.
Old 02-04-22, 08:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I ordered a couple of Tyre Gliders about 5 days ago, and am really eager to try the tool! It seems quite obvious a better tire installation and removal tool than traditional tire levers is needed, if only based on all the variants of the humble lever which claim to better in one way or another. Despite the shipping cost on these things, I immediately appreciated the totally different approach to tire handling and could not resist giving one a go.
Old 02-04-22, 08:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by chaadster
I ordered a couple of Tyre Gliders about 5 days ago, and am really eager to try the tool! It seems quite obvious a better tire installation and removal tool than traditional tire levers is needed, if only based on all the variants of the humble lever which claim to better in one way or another. Despite the shipping cost on these things, I immediately appreciated the totally different approach to tire handling and could not resist giving one a go.
yes getting a tire on has been crazy. I got a set of these on the way too to try out. https://www.performancebike.com/rota...xoC06YQAvD_BwE
Old 02-04-22, 08:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
yes getting a tire on has been crazy. I got a set of these on the way too to try out. https://www.performancebike.com/rota...xoC06YQAvD_BwE
Those look kind of large for what they do…which seems to be not a lot. I mean, I don’t usually have any problems with getting tires on/off with a good pair of standard levers, so it’s largely the economy of movement that Tyre Glider affords— ii.e. no need juggling two tools— which is most appealing to me, but that it seems to prevent the kind of potential tube pinching which typical levers (and these Rotae) can cause.

If you run tubes, did you have to fuss with them when using the Tyre Glider?
Old 02-04-22, 08:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
no that sucks had one and it is flimsy and bends like crazy. it is not really easier to use then a regular tire iron I found. but if you want couple for free let me know. the Tyre Glider takes a little bit to get the hang of it. a little harder to get under the bead but once done it takes so little effort.
I will take free Crank Brothers Speedier Levers, I love them probably the best tire lever I have used. Though I am curious to try this Tire Glider thing it looks funky but useful.
Old 02-04-22, 08:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by chaadster
Those look kind of large for what they do…which seems to be not a lot. I mean, I don’t usually have any problems with getting tires on/off with a good pair of standard levers, so it’s largely the economy of movement that Tyre Glider affords— ii.e. no need juggling two tools— which is most appealing to me, but that it seems to prevent the kind of potential tube pinching which typical levers (and these Rotae) can cause.

If you run tubes, did you have to fuss with them when using the Tyre Glider?
figured I woulds check them out. one lever isthew best thing and yep no pinched tubes. we had a flat on the tandem and I found I forgot all the spare tubes. a friend brought me a tube from my shop though it was the wrong valve. but the tie had finally sealed wit the Stans I had in it. we got maybe a mile and the tube sprung a leak. daughter brought a tube from out hose only a mile away and in the dark I pinched it. ended up waking home.
Old 02-04-22, 08:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I will take free Crank Brothers Speedier Levers, I love them probably the best tire lever I have used. Though I am curious to try this Tire Glider thing it looks funky but useful.
message me I will show you what I have.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-05-22, 01:48 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I also like the Crank Brothers Speedier levers, but veganbikes beat me to the free ones. I haven't yet had a tire I couldn't get with the speedier, some take a little more effort, but it saves my thumbs.
Likes For katsup:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.