Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your CCM bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your CCM bikes

Old 09-22-07, 10:20 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Let's see your CCM bikes

I did a little searching and could find very little on CCM bikes here and perhaps this is because they are your ubiquitous Canadian bike and not well known in the south.

When I was a kid most folks rode CCM bikes and I would dearly love to find a Mustang which was my first real bike.

I presently have 2 vintage CCM bikes...

The first is a 1933 Coaster bike I found parked in the weeds at our shop and I was thrilled to find that all it's bits were intact and that it is in excellent mechanical shape with solid and true wheels. I'll be finsihing the restoration over the winter which will entail a repaint of the bike, re-spoking and painting the wheels and re-chroming of the stem and bars.

It's a fabulous bike to ride.

A also found a 1940 double bar frame and decided to build a retro club bike...the wheelset came off of a 1964 CCM and I'll update this pic as soon as I bring the bike back from the shop. It just got some new swoopier moustache like bars that are taped and a new fork (that white ishiwata was broken ) after a little mishap with a car.

Old 09-22-07, 10:49 AM
divineAndbright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a ton of CCMs like those, most not as old - most of them were from the '60s. But I had a couple of relics as well, I eventually sold/gave away most of them, I still have a coupe left like a 40s double-bar and a '60s Imperial outside in the yard somewhere. I prefer road bikes way too much so I don't really ride em anymore.

I've got a low end CCM Targa 10 road bike as well which I kinda frankensteined by putting some lighter parts on it, and I use that as a commuter. I'll see if I can take some photos sometime. I'd like to find a high end vintage CCM road bike someday, maybe one of them silver ghosts or tour de canadas will find their way to me.
Old 09-22-07, 11:01 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I'd love to find a pre ww1 ccm road bike like this Flyer...

https://bikespecialties.com/vintage/1925ccmflyer.html
Old 09-22-07, 01:33 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Glad to see there are other CCM fans. I just picked up a Silver Ghost, and will post pics as soon as it's back from the shop - it was pretty trashed. Coincidentally, it looks like another Silver Ghost frame popped up for $50 on Toronto's Craigslist. It looks like it anyway, but there are no decals except for a 531 decal on the seat-tube. The buyer seems sure, but I seem to remember the Mistral also came with 531 main tubes. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyhow if you're looking for a Silver Ghost check it out.
Old 09-22-07, 01:52 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool.. looks to be about my size too, I'm a lil too far from Toronto though so it would cost quite a bit to pick it up (bus!), or an additional $30-$50 to have it shipped to me. I don't want one that badly, especially since its just a frame, not to mention missing decals!
Old 09-22-07, 02:17 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still wouldn't mind a CCM Flyte, there is a mint one hanging up in a shop in the town over.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 09-22-07, 06:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I used to see bikes like this all the time when I was younger... old CCM's were so durable and of such good quality I think they often got passed between generations.

I picked my club bike up from the shop this afternoon and before I left a few people had to take her for a spin... it now looks like I'll need to be building up a few more drop bar coaster bikes.

Old 09-22-07, 07:08 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Bikes: -

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CCMs?Now your talking MY language.The Flyte is kinda the holy grail of CCM collecting.It was only built for 3 years and was quite expensive at the time(you could buy a good used Model T for the same price).I presently have 50 CCMs(from the 20s up to the early70s as well as a Massey Silver Ribbon which I figure is from either the late 1890s to 1915.It has hickory wood rims(I only have the rear).Missing lots of parts.I am glad to see other people interested in the marque,I'm not the only one.I'll start out with a pic of a 1924 CCM.I found this at a metal salvage yard in Ottawa(yep,that's Canada)and paid the princely sum of $5 for it. Other than the paint it is all original and I ride it often.It has 28" tires and coaster brake New Departure hub.I'll post more.
Old 09-22-07, 07:28 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's one of my latest.A 41 Rambler twin bar in need of lots of tlc.
Old 09-22-07, 08:08 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

bikeguy - $ 5.00 for that bike was a smoking deal... it does not look like too many changes happened between 1924 and the 40's as I have seen the same model represented in a number of eras.

What is there not to love about these bikes from the Canadian Cycle and Motor Comany ?

They are to Canadians what Schwinn bikes are to Americans.
Old 09-22-07, 08:49 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
bikeguy - $ 5.00 for that bike was a smoking deal... it does not look like too many changes happened between 1924 and the 40's as I have seen the same model represented in a number of eras.

What is there not to love about these bikes from the Canadian Cycle and Motor Comany ?

They are to Canadians what Schwinn bikes are to Americans.
That's right.When I was growing up in the 60s/70s everybody rode a CCM.The Mustangs were the one to get.They were amazingly strong little bikes.
What got me started in collecting CCMs specifically was finding a bunch(spaced out over a few years)of mint originals that had been hiding in peoples garages or basements.Some hardly used.Garage sales are another great place to find them.I've paid as little as $1 for 73 Elan(mint original).
The really only difference I've found over the years is the pedal system.Sixty Fiver,how did you verify the years on your bikes?Your 33 looks more like 40s maybe 50s.What is the serial number?The reason I ask is if you look at the pic of the 41 you'll notice the crank is a 3 piece unit(same as the 24).I think they switched to the one piece in mid 40s.Unless you swapped cranks(then never mind.)
I am trying to put together a collection of all the styles of CCMs so I can display them in a small museum type thing.I have a one-room school house(c.1874)and think it would be a cool spot for a totally interactive museum.Let people ride them.Because it's amazing.All I ride are CCMs and it's wild how people respond to them."they used to have one just like it except it was red with chrome fenders".It's cool how most people can remember when,where they got their first CCM.
Another pic.....

Last edited by thebikeguy; 09-22-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 09:16 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this old photo, they arent all CCMs, but most are.

I like that rusty green double bar you have, looks just as rusty as my blue one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fleet.JPG (92.9 KB, 684 views)
Old 09-22-07, 09:43 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikeguy -I don't have the serial number at hand but when I checked the CCM dating codes it showed that the bike was a 1933 model... the crank may have very well been replaced at some time in this bike's lifetime.

My 1940 bike got a one piece crank because I have a number of them in the shop and as it's frame looks much like your Rambler it could very well be the same model.

The rear hub on the 1933 is also a very early Hercules with no accompanying CCM engraving and statemets that there are "patent's pending".

Later CCM bike I have seen are marked "CCM Hercules".

With all that being said, I will have to make sure I stop at your little museum when I do my trans continental ride in 2015... I'd go sooner but want my daughters to be old enough to take the trip with me.

If my 1933 has the wrong crank I would love to see it replaced with a proper one as a period correct restoration is my goal.
Old 09-22-07, 09:45 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

PS - Someone needs to compile some information on models and features of vintage CCM bikes as there is very little out there.
Old 09-22-07, 10:34 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a pic of a 46 ladies bike w/1946 newspaper basket.It was given to me by the original owner when she heard that I was into old bikes.
Old 09-23-07, 03:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Here are a few updated pics of my 1940 CCM... all I need now is some light brown bar tape (or some dye) and some period correct pedals.

The bike will be going in for powdercoating with it's older sister since the paint isn't what I'd like it to be.

Old 09-23-07, 03:55 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing that would make that cooler is painted rims w/white tires.Nice looking ride.
I have discovered that the Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa has an "extensive collection of CCM memorabilia" in their library and they have photocopying available.I/we need to get in there and see what they have.(You should call 613 991-2982 to book an appointment).My main problem is I don't live in Ottawa anymore(too far to ride).It seems to be the only resource right now.Don't bother with the CCM site(if you haven't already tried).They don't seem to be that interested in their history. I know more about their history than they do.I have scoured the internet for any info and have to say that you are correct,there's not mucking fuch out there.It's going to be up to enthusiasts like us to try and put it together.As soon as I can I'm heading to the Sci n Tech.I need this info for my museum.

P.S. Did you know that CCM made a luxury car?

Last edited by thebikeguy; 09-23-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 04:36 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I've stashed a good number of vintage parts (that would have otherwise been thrown out) and happen to have a few nice 28 inch paintable rims...

I did know that CCM made cars (and luxury ones at that)

My ride time to Ottawa would be a few weeks since I live in Edmonton, Alberta but I think a ride down to the shop is in order so I can go look at those wheels and swap the 20 tooth cog on the '40 for an 18 to give me a little more road speed.

That 1940 is a spectacularly nice bike to ride and when I had the frame stripped down I weighed it...with the bb cups in it was an even 5 pounds and the brazing work was very well done aside from a pinhole where the second bar meets the seatpost... I'll have to braze that at the shop before the powdercoating.

We get a lot of old CCM's coming in on donation and the wheels on my '40 came from a 1964 that had a badly bent frame and was and beyond redemption... I did keep all the useable parts since we recycle nearly everything.

The fork on the CCM came off a crashed Norco road bike and is a far better unit than the stock forks from that era especially since I ride this bike at some goodly speeds.
Old 09-23-07, 05:56 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
I found this old photo, they arent all CCMs, but most are.

I like that rusty green double bar you have, looks just as rusty as my blue one
Nice collection.It seems everybody had an Elan.Has to be one of the most popular model.I have 5 of them.Is that a Sunshine I see?Your twin bar looked a lot nicer than mine.
Old 09-23-07, 06:20 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I would be certain that the Elan was one of the most popular models CCM ever made as I have seen more of these than any other models and am especially fond of their chainguards.

I have also seen a number of department store models (ie Eatons) that were most definately re-badged CCM bikes... I have one in the yard at the shop and will have to snap some photos of the poor old thing.
Old 09-23-07, 08:22 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CCM built bikes for quite a few dep't/hardware stores. CanadianTire(Supercycle),Eatons(RoadKing),TheBay(Baycrest),Freiman's(Freimart).If you can think of any more.It seems that there was good competition with Raleigh in the late 60s/early 70s.I've seen bikes badged for(any one of the above)that were built by both Raleigh and CCM.Sometimes even in the same year.
Here's a pic of as interesting find.All I got was the frame and chainguard.It's still a work in progress but it does ride now.I finally found a donour Supercycle for the fenders and forks.The ones in the pic are off of a Sears FreeSpirit of the same year(1971)

Last edited by thebikeguy; 09-27-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 09:33 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I would love to have a tandem so I could take my best girls out for longer rides..they're 7 and 10.

I saw a couple out on a '74 CCM tandem last summer and we had a great conversation and I even got to take the bike for a spin.

We also have a CCM tandem down at the shop that I can probably borrow... hmmm.
Old 09-23-07, 09:56 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got it going late this summer and only got to take it out a couple of times.I've put a SA hub(stoker gets to use the gears and the rear brake because I can't find cables long enough to reach the front)and with 2 people cranking on it,it can boogie along.At slow speeds it steers like a bus,gotta take wide turns.If you ride one you'll be hooked and have to get one.
Old 09-23-07, 10:07 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I rode one (and want one) and agree that at low speeds they handle like a really big bus.

My stokers are just wee lasses but am sure they will enjoy being able to do some long rides with dad.
Old 09-23-07, 11:12 PM
thebikeguy
Smiling and Waving

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They should love it.Seeing as they're sitting behind you,you'll never know when they take their feet off the pedals
Here's another rare/weird find.I was always under the impression that all CCMs were built in Canada.Either in Weston,Ontario or in Saint-Georges,Quebec(Procycle bought the CCM name in '83).Well, I found this CCM 12speed that has badging claiming "made in France"on the chainstays.It is 501 tubing and really light.I think Procycle had Peugeot build CCM some mid-range bikes(Procycle also bought Peugeot) for some reason.

Last edited by thebikeguy; 09-27-07 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.