Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone commuting with a Carradice?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 09:39 AM
drasp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I've read a TON of reviews, and it seems like the Barley is pretty close to what I'm after, but I'd like a bag I can use w/o any rack or support. Some folks seem fine just hanging it from the saddle loops & seat post, others complain of bags swinging, hitting thighs, etc.

Saddle is a Brooks B17, pretty high off the wheel. Any first hand experience to share!?
Old 10-11-13, 10:19 AM
rowebr

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am happy with the Barley. I use a strap that goes around the seatpost and under the two leather tabs on the underside of the bag to stabilize it. Very minimal swaying or rubbing with this setup. It would be even better with a rack to support the bag, but as it is the setup works just fine. Here is a pic of the bike, you can see the saddlebag support strap I rigged up:

Old 10-11-13, 10:31 AM
drasp

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
That looks great! And I think I've got a bit more room between my saddle & tire. I think I'm going to go for it. . .
Old 10-11-13, 10:37 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Yes, I commute with one. It's slightly smaller than the Barley, but I can't recall the model name. I use the quick-release they make so I can take it off the bike easily and carry it with me. I'm very happy with it, it holds just enough without being bulky.
Old 10-11-13, 11:05 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I really like my Carradice and for two dollars, how could I go wrong..?

And, for what it is worth, the mustache bars are gone, being replaced with something that has proved perfectly comfortable for me and my busted neck...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Norfolk_B_Full_TQF_L_2.jpg (103.3 KB, 77 views)
Norfolk_B_Full_TQF_2.jpg (103.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-11-13, 11:45 AM
drasp

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful!!!
Old 10-11-13, 12:50 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Check out Wiggles in the UK, I bought two Barley's from them for what I would have paid for one here in the States, plus my shipping was free. Their inventory is currently a hit and miss due to Carridices production, but it would be worth your while.
Old 10-11-13, 01:00 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gbalke
Check out Wiggles in the UK, I bought two Barley's from them for what I would have paid for one here in the States, plus my shipping was free. Their inventory is currently a hit and miss due to Carridices production, but it would be worth your while.
I second this. They have the best prices. Check out their Brooks prices while you are there.
Old 10-11-13, 01:20 PM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I use one. I think it's GREAT!

I like it better with the rack. It holds more, and loads easier, but it works very well both ways!
Attached Images
Dav sm.jpg (70.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-11-13, 01:49 PM
drasp

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Shhh!!! I know about Wiggles, ordering a set of MKS deep half clips from them w/ the bag!!!
Old 10-12-13, 07:30 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I am a great fan of Carradice bags and have several… a bit of a collection, even.

This is my favourite, made sometime from the late 1940s to 1960, when they moved from Leeds Road to North Street:[IMG] Carradice saddlebag - mid-1940s to 1960 / Leeds Road works by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then this one, from the early to mid-60s, after they moved to North Street:
[IMG] Carradice saddlebag - early to mid-1960s, North Street works. by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then this one, from the late 60s, early 70s:
[IMG] Carradice saddlebag - late 1960s to mid-1970s, North Street works. by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is a late 70s bag:
[IMG] Carradice saddlebag - late 1970s, North Street works. by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

And my newest one, bought new in Tokyo about 8 years ago:
[IMG] Peugeot PX60 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some people like using them without any support but you will find them easier to load with. I've used the old Brooks support, like this:
[IMG] IMG_7648 by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

… but it twists and you need something to stop it gouging the metal. The present day Carradice support, the Bagman, works very well but is really heavy. My favourite support is the Lloyd, like this one on eBay (don't take any notice of the stupid price - they typically go for around £20). They're simple and effective.

If I was buying a new Carradice today, the first thing I would do is remove the ugly leather patch with the metal badge on it. Otherwise, they are excellent bags and last forever. They're really cheap 2nd hand, too.

The green bags look great when they get older.
Old 10-12-13, 07:35 AM
drasp

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Great pix, info & Zappa quote!!!
Old 10-12-13, 07:54 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
I'm using a vintage Carradice. It's big enough to carry just about anything I want to stow from one point to the next.

It worked ok dangling, but I preferred a bit more stability. I got impatient waiting around to stumble across a cheaply priced Bagman, so I wound up taking measurements from photographs and fabricated my own. The bag is carried a bit higher than when dangling, which I far prefer.
Old 10-12-13, 07:56 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use them of a couple of different bikes, going to order a set of Kendal panniers shortly. I currently have a Nelson (might be the long flap) a Barley and a Collegiate.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-12-13, 12:04 PM
treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute and light tour with a Carradice Pendle and Bagman2 Q/R Sport rack with support struts. I don't particularly like having the rack on my frame, especially when I don't have the bag on my bicycle, but the rack does a great job of preventing any sort of sway or sagging. However, since my bike doesn't have braze-ons, I use Tubus Seat Stay Mounts which are a life saver for when I'm carrying a large or heavy load because it keeps the rack from bending downwards into the tire. This rack w/struts system also allows me to bungee boxes or a tent/sleeping bag on top of the Pendle bag itself because it is stable enough. It took a little trial and error on my part to reach this point, but I can definitely say that this setup works rather nicely now. Next up for me are some minimal front panniers for the longer tours.

Old 10-12-13, 12:11 PM
treal512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Dawes-man and AZORCH, I love the vintage Carradice bags!!
Old 10-12-13, 01:32 PM
drasp

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'd also been looking at the Frost River saddle bag, which is VERY different from the Carradice. Had read a few less-than-great things about Frost River, but most seem to be from a few years back. I e-mailed them directly & got confirmation that the bag is being made just as its shown on their site (with trim/rivets, etc.) Really not sure which direction to go - the Carradice which has a big following, can be had at a great price through Wiggle, but might need some type of support, especially if I load it up, OR the Frost River which is smaller & more expensive, but also less obtrusive for daily commuting, etc.

I know, apples & oranges. . .hmm. Really leaning towards the Carradice.
Old 10-13-13, 06:14 AM
73emgee

Bikes: 1949 Comrade Roadster, several Raleigh Sports, Custom 531 10-speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AZORCH
I'm using a vintage Carradice. It's big enough to carry just about anything I want to stow from one point to the next.

It worked ok dangling, but I preferred a bit more stability. I got impatient waiting around to stumble across a cheaply priced Bagman, so I wound up taking measurements from photographs and fabricated my own. The bag is carried a bit higher than when dangling, which I far prefer.
Nice, do you have any detail pixs or info of your homemade support?
Old 10-13-13, 06:22 AM
drasp

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pulled the trigger on a Barley + Bagman 2 Sport QR.
Old 10-13-13, 06:23 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by 73emgee
Nice, do you have any detail pixs or info of your homemade support?
I have shared this previously on BF, but this is an appropriate place to share it again.

In these pictures I'm mocking up the bends with alloy rod but I used stainless steel rod for the final hanger because it is less flexy. It's heavier but perhaps stouter.

One important note: This was ridiculously easy to fabricate.
Old 10-13-13, 06:42 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I have shared this previously on BF, but this is an appropriate place to share it again.

In these pictures I'm mocking up the bends with alloy rod but I used stainless steel rod for the final hanger because it is less flexy. It's heavier but perhaps stouter.

One important note: This was ridiculously easy to fabricate.

Thanks for the idea!

How did you attach it to the seat rails?

I wonder if Home Depot has stainless rods in stock....

This looks like a great project for today.
Old 10-13-13, 06:51 AM
AZORCH

Originally Posted by gomango
Thanks for the idea!

How did you attach it to the seat rails?

I wonder if Home Depot has stainless rods in stock....

This looks like a great project for today.
I picked up a length of rod from Lowe's for this project - perhaps three bucks or thereabouts - so I'd be very surprised if Home Depot doesn't have it. My "design" attaches to the seat rails using a pair of very small hose clamps on either side (i.e., four clamps in total.)

So, I've taken the seat pin strap on the bag and wrapped it around the downward tilted prongs of the rack so the big bag doesn't slide around. The saddle straps are attached as you would normally do. I've been using this contraption since last spring and it all seems to be working fine so far. YMMV, as we all know oh so well!
Old 10-13-13, 06:57 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by drasp
good plan
Old 10-13-13, 07:07 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I picked up a length of rod from Lowe's for this project - perhaps three bucks or thereabouts - so I'd be very surprised if Home Depot doesn't have it. My "design" attaches to the seat rails using a pair of very small hose clamps on either side (i.e., four clamps in total.)

So, I've taken the seat pin strap on the bag and wrapped it around the downward tilted prongs of the rack so the big bag doesn't slide around. The saddle straps are attached as you would normally do. I've been using this contraption since last spring and it all seems to be working fine so far. YMMV, as we all know oh so well!
Ah yes, hose clamps to the rescue!

Thank you.

Fwiw I have two Carradice bags that I picked up on the cheap off of our local CL on wtbs.

They are not for sale, but I thought I would mention this option.

Never hurts to save a few $$$$.
Old 10-15-13, 12:57 PM
treal512

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drasp
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.