Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 03:51 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by LucasHartong
Ostend coast, Belgium.
Surprise!
A newer building built behind the facade of an older one?
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-08-22, 06:07 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by LucasHartong
Ostend coast, Belgium.
The memories, I had some good times there in the 80's while stationed in Germany. We used to go there for training exercises. The people were great. My most vivid memory was standing on a tall dune on the beach as high winds moved in off the water. I could feel and taste the salt mist and I remember leaning way out over the dune/cliff with only the wind keeping me from falling.

Also those trips made me appreciate army chow. We ate with the Belgium troops while there and I swear what they said was chicken was really seagulls or something else that was all bone, LOL!
Old 10-08-22, 06:17 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Not a good one today. Lungs burning and HR up from the start and just felt sick/weak/aching the whole ride, weird. Super beautiful out though. I only stopped for a few pictures as I just wanted the ride to be over. I took out the Coppi again today and probably set my slowest pace ever on it.

Old 10-08-22, 07:57 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Smokey afternoon ride around the upper and lower valley.

Contrasting what the falls look like now
Snoqualmie Falls by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

And what they looked like last winter
First ride of 2022 2 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I rode up to Snoqualmie Ridge and took a series of fun trails to reach the lower valley

Whittaker Trail by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The lower valley is at it’s peak right now. The Corn is high, and the flowers abundant. Easy pace back home...no need to push it when it's smokey.

Lower Valley view by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 10-08-22, 11:45 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Twin Cities Tweed Ride 2022

We had a decent turnout for the Tweed Ride this year. I believe the last time the Minnesota Hysterical Society put one of these on was 2014 - and I wasn't there for it, so I've really nothing to compare it to.

Let's put it this way... they stopped at museums, instead of pubs, like a proper tweed ride should. So, being the sort of subversive creature I am, I quickly organized a Hooligan Contingent. When the group stopped to gawp at old stuff, we sortied out to find the local libation stations. No photos were taken of these troops or their activities; for security reasons, don'tcha know.

The ride began at the James Hill House, on Summit Avenue, in Saint Paul:

This place is so gi-normous, I could not fit the whole house into one frame, even with a 24mm lens, while standing within the grounds!

There were some fairly eclectic velocipedes lurking about the place. This one looked like it was hiding:

Hey, check out that chainring! That looks like drillium, dude!

This one had a "Wards Hawthorne" headbadge on it:

I didn't see these bikes on the ride, but then, there were a lot of riders behind us HC types.

Someone offered to shoot me posing with my bike... why not?

Fall Colors have not yet peaked here in the Twin Cities, so I didn't shoot nearly as many photos as I expected to. But rest assured, those will be coming... soon.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 10-08-22 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-09-22, 01:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

Not a good one today. Lungs burning and HR up from the start and just felt sick/weak/aching the whole ride...
It happens from time to time, huh? Had a couple rides and hikes here in AZ like that. Gettin' old sucks

Hope the next ride finds you back to your normal rhythm!

DD
Old 10-09-22, 02:29 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts

It seems more and more people in the Dallas area decorate for Halloween.

This large home had lots of it.
Pic did not capture all of it.

I'm on my CB Zip today.
Got in 40 miles in pleasant temps.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-09-22, 04:28 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Headed out again today for Saturday activities around town with my wife and while stopped for a coffee I got this shot.

PXL_20221009_175606961.MP
Old 10-09-22, 05:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117

Headed out again today for Saturday activities around town with my wife and while stopped for a coffee I got this shot.

PXL_20221009_175606961.MP
Musta been some good coffee...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-09-22, 07:08 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Another ramble through Portland's West Hills, this time guided by a typewritten report found at an estate sale yesterday on Council Crest. It was a very readable history of the neighborhood surrounding the Zoo and Washington Park.

It's one of those areas that was bisected by a major highway in the 60's? and so is sort of an interesting mish-mash of dead-ends and abandoned sidewalks. I've always had an obsession with abandoned roads.

A bit hot and smokey, but not too bad. I wound around and found a few cool bits. Here's a Benson Bubbler in the curve of a highway on-ramp. It was probably located in a more user-friendly area originally!

Another detour down a dead end led me to this gem. The cedars are really struggling with the new climate, but I'm rooting for this one.

Edit: I tried to link to a song I recorded about old highways, but the link caused all sorts of mayhem. If you want extra credit, google The Old Highway by the Heavy Sweaters.

Last edited by JacobLee; 10-09-22 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-09-22, 07:13 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
I rode my Bates to the ocean state oyster fest yesterday. I've been riding fixed for the last couple of years. Commuting 10 miles a day 80ish days a year. I'm a fair weather friend. My ultimate goal is to switch to 3 speed but I haven't reached that point yet.

My buddy met me before and he has a cool Bridgestone. We hung out on the pedestrian Bridge in providence before going to the fest. Weather was classic early fall new england.

Bates

Bridgestone track

Gondola
Old 10-09-22, 07:16 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Howdy!

This one was actually last weekend and I meant to post about it sooner... I rode my 1979 Mercian Campionissimo equipped with Suntour Cyclone, SR and Weinmann components in the Sacramento Century on Saturday, October 1. I found a riding partner in the form of a retired fellow on a Colnago CLX who I noticed blasting '80s rock out of a little speaker in the back of his jersey as we left the city, and we managed a respectable 16.5 mph pace for the 101-mile route. I've never ridden so far with only 40 minutes of accumulated breaks, so it was quite a ride for me! The icing on the cake was that in the sea of fancy carbon fiber bikes the Mercian stood out like a jewel and it received dozens of compliments from other riders throughout the day. Cheers!

-Gregory

Old 10-09-22, 07:40 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
Another ramble through Portland's West Hills, this time guided by a typewritten report found at an estate sale yesterday on Council Crest. It was a very readable history of the neighborhood surrounding the Zoo and Washington Park.

I’m guessing you might be aware of these, but if not, they offer excellent walking tours of Portland. I always do a few when I visit my sister in PDX.

Old 10-09-22, 08:26 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Views and Boos

Each Sunday Le Tour De Ham (Birmingham, AL) does a Views and Brews ride, checking out murals on the ride and a brew (if so inclined) after the ride. This month the ride leader has designated the rides as "Views and Boos", and will visit several historic cemeteries in the Birmingham area each Sunday. Today's ride was to the Fraternal Cemetery (est 1881) in Pratt City, AL. Pratt City was once a hotbed of mining activity. Many of those interred in this cemetery are from that era. There are 2 other cemeteries joined to this one, Greenwood (1886) and Foley (unknown date). As you can see, the cemeteries are badly neglected. Ongoing once a month cleanup efforts have apparently stalled out. There are some pictures in this article with history of the cemeteries. https://www.al.com/living/2016/08/se...-xaAdBFFEJHzgc

Greenwood was so overgrown it was hard to spot the gate through all the growth, it's pretty much inaccessible now.

The road runs through the middle of one of the cemeteries, with headstones/graves at the edge of the road on both sides.

Likes For zookster:
Old 10-09-22, 08:58 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Howdy!

This one was actually last weekend and I meant to post about it sooner... I rode my 1979 Mercian Campionissimo equipped with Suntour Cyclone, SR and Weinmann components in the Sacramento Century on Saturday, October 1. I found a riding partner in the form of a retired fellow on a Colnago CLX who I noticed blasting '80s rock out of a little speaker in the back of his jersey as we left the city, and we managed a respectable 16.5 mph pace for the 101-mile route. I've never ridden so far with only 40 minutes of accumulated breaks, so it was quite a ride for me! The icing on the cake was that in the sea of fancy carbon fiber bikes the Mercian stood out like a jewel and it received dozens of compliments from other riders throughout the day. Cheers!

-Gregory
Aw man, I miss the Delta!
Old 10-09-22, 08:59 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by thinktubes
I’m guessing you might be aware of these, but if not, they offer excellent walking tours of Portland. I always do a few when I visit my sister in PDX.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was saying to my wife, it's great to explore this stuff on a bike, but you can't dig around like you would on foot, and I'm too lazy to do any real research, so a walking tour would be ideal.
Old 10-09-22, 09:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Always thankful to post this thread

Aug-tober continues.

Right side of the tracks

Nice boat going into…….

……..lake Samammish

Milk delivery on Front Street. Drink Darigold. Made in America

A graceful landing

Halloween

Made to my endurance order.
Old 10-09-22, 09:28 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Nice 48 mile ride today. Longest ride in a couple of years due to a myriad of reasons. The Spectrum is such a nice ride, even if a tad too tall. Responsive, light and smooth. And, my dad's old Spectrum jersey actually fits.

Last edited by scozim; 10-09-22 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-10-22, 04:50 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Surprise!
A newer building built behind the facade of an older one?
Brent
They probably built a new floor on top of the older building... space is very costly there.
Old 10-10-22, 09:42 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Bob Freeman gathered together a bunch of us locals for a ride with visiting cyclist Jim Townsend (CR list member) out in the Middle Fork Valley on Sunday.
The theme for the day was to ride bikes made by frame builder Kevin Sayles since Jim had brought his beautiful new Sayles made from Reynolds 753.

Jim Townsend, his beautiful 753 bike and Russian Butte in the background by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Here is the lineup of bikes crafted by Sayles taken before the ride.

All built by Kevin Sayles by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Kevin Sayles has been in the business since the 70’s - longer than anyone currently building in the UK.

As we were riding and admiring each others bikes I wondered if Kevin realizes how many 1000’s of people he’s made happy through his work. If it were me, I’d find that truth to be very satisfying.

Jim's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Alex's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Mine by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Scott's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Bob's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Deanna's by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 10-10-22, 02:19 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by JJScaliger
I rode my Bates to the ocean state oyster fest yesterday. I've been riding fixed for the last couple of years. Commuting 10 miles a day 80ish days a year. I'm a fair weather friend. My ultimate goal is to switch to 3 speed but I haven't reached that point yet.

My buddy met me before and he has a cool Bridgestone. We hung out on the pedestrian Bridge in providence before going to the fest. Weather was classic early fall new england.

Bates

Bridgestone track

Gondola
I like your buddy's Bridgestone!
Old 10-10-22, 02:23 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Bob Freeman gathered together a bunch of us locals for a ride with visiting cyclist Jim Townsend (CR list member) out in the Middle Fork Valley on Sunday.
The theme for the day was to ride bikes made by frame builder Kevin Sayles since Jim had brought his beautiful new Sayles made from Reynolds 753.

Jim Townsend, his beautiful 753 bike and Russian Butte in the background by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Kevin Sayles has been in the business since the 70’s - longer than anyone currently building in the UK.

As we were riding and admiring each others bikes I wondered if Kevin realizes how many 1000’s of people he’s made happy through his work. If it were me, I’d find that truth to be very satisfying.

Lot of perty bikes for a ride.
Must be hard to keep em on the rode while staring at the bike to either side!
Old 10-10-22, 03:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Nice weather yesterday took the Nishiki SS on a ride to Alama the bike path about 20 miles round trip.

Old 10-10-22, 04:33 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend

Somebody please tell the admins that we need a "mind blown" GIF for the toolbar. I mean... wow.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 10-10-22, 05:30 PM
jamesdak 

Still feeling the effect of the cold but too nice of a day not to ride. So I took the ol Kuwahara back out again now that I've sorted it out more. Didn't worry about pace or anything, just cruising along for what wound up being 36 miles.

Colors should start popping on the valley floor soon

Hotel, observatory, coffee shop

Winter's Grove

Winter's Grove

Winter's Grove

Winter's Grove

Winter's Grove

Huntsville

That's a lot of pumpkins!

Need the yellows to start showing to contrast all the reds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.