Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Incident today involving a passing car

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Incident today involving a passing car

Old 03-10-23, 11:36 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I know these bothers some and I know we have a right to use public roads, but have you ever had to follow a group of 15 riders on a rural road for five miles?
Have you ever had to follow a farm tractor for 15 miles?

The law in all 50 states, in all places, and all situations allows for a licensed motor vehicle to pass an unlicensed slow moving vehicle, pedestrian, or fixed roadway obstruction (fallen tree, etc...) when due care & caution deems it possible to do so in a safe and reasonable manner.

It's a thing that a remarkable number of licensed drivers don't know...Almost as if their license was granted in error, or something.

On a cultural level, it's their ignorance that is the source of their entitlement and indignation at all that is perceived as a loss to their "God given rights" in whatever arena they choose to get angry about. (Queue the "You can borrow my shovel" anecdote. Because it's his god given right to litter his gravel in the public space.)

The culture of car dependency/supremacy enabled and fostered by isolation (ever bigger big metal boxes, single family suburban sprawl, low density rural) mated to ignorance has allowed even the most basic understanding of laws regarding respect for others rights to life, liberty to fall by the wayside.

It's a license, not a free pass.

Last edited by base2; 03-10-23 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-10-23, 11:51 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
You just made the case for having a forward facing white (flashing or non-flashing) headlight.
I have one, and while I can't tell if it has helped or not, I can certainly tell you that there are still some drivers who won't notice and/or don't care.
Old 03-10-23, 11:56 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

have you ever had to follow a group of 15 riders on a rural road for five miles?
Originally Posted by base2
I have never been stuck behind cyclists for that long, but I have been behind a tractor for about that long. Furthermore, I have only had a car stuck behind me for more than 1 minute once... and that's when I pulled over to let them pass.
Old 03-10-23, 11:58 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

The law in all 50 states, in all places, and all situations allows for a licensed motor vehicle to pass an unlicensed slow moving vehicle, pedestrian, or fixed roadway obstruction (fallen tree, etc...) when due care & caution deems it possible to do so in a safe and reasonable manner.

It's a thing that a remarkable number of licensed drivers don't know...Almost as if their license was granted in error, or something.

On a cultural level, it's their ignorance that is the source of their entitlement and indignation at all that is perceived as a loss to their "God given rights" in whatever arena they choose to get angry about. (Queue the "You can borrow my shovel" anecdote. Because it's his god given right to litter his gravel in the public space.)

The culture of car dependency/supremacy enabled and fostered by isolation & ignorance has allowed even the most basic understanding of laws regarding respect for others rights to life, liberty to fall by the wayside.

It's a license, not a free pass.
Well, I have driven a farm tractor on the road, if that counts. I know it is slow and I have found a safe place to move over to allow cars to pass. I guess for me that is the issue. If you know others are inconvenienced, it is easy enough to allow them to pass safely.
Old 03-10-23, 12:19 PM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I am not going to carry. I have never in 68 years felt I needed one on my hip.
Cool beans. I've been intentionally targeted while out riding. I carry pepper spray for rabid dogs and anyone that's triggered because I ride a bicycle.

Last edited by Spandex_fairy; 03-10-23 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For Spandex_fairy:
Old 03-10-23, 01:12 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I have never been stuck behind cyclists for that long, but I have been behind a tractor for about that long. Furthermore, I have only had a car stuck behind me for more than 1 minute once... and that's when I pulled over to let them pass.
Well, if you didn't know that you were allowed to pass an unlicensed slow moving road user, that's hardly the farmers fault.

Well, I have driven a farm tractor on the road, if that counts. I know it is slow and I have found a safe place to move over to allow cars to pass. I guess for me that is the issue. If you know others are inconvenienced, it is easy enough to allow them to pass safely.
That's called common courtesy. You did the right thing even though the other drivers didn't. As a one time driver of a street sweeper I've had to do the same thing a hundred times a day. To my point above: Being conscious of others is rarely bad policy.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-10-23, 02:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Well, if you didn't know that you were allowed to pass an unlicensed slow moving road user, that's hardly the farmers fault.
That was rather presumptive of you. I knew I could pass, but there simply was no safe opportunity (ok there were some questionable opportunities, but I prefer to play it safe). Still not the farmer's fault though. The point is that cyclists don't hold drivers back as much as some drivers make it seem, and they're not the only (or the biggest) ones.
Old 03-10-23, 05:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I agree that sometimes it is really hard to let a car (or a line iof cars) go past. I usually will Not just pull into the grass or whatever .... who knows what I might hit in the grass? I don't want to fall back into the road just as the whole line of cars speeds up to Finally pass that stupid cyclist.

If the line is long enough and there is no driveway or whatever, i will look for a few feet of grass or dirt of Anything ... because otherwise some guy six cars back who has no idea why everyone is crawling, pops out and roars past the whole line of slow cars and pulls back in ... right on top of me.

Part is courtesy--we share the road, and we both (drivers and cyclists) have to share .... and partly it is survival. if I get a few cars behind me I will find a lace ... or I will get almost on the center line, slow to about three miles an hour, wave a bunch, and then signal a turn. Then when I pull onto the verge I am sure that at least most of the cars will know there is a bike somewhere ahead.

If it is an organized race, the organizers need to either hire police ******* or get cars or bikes with flashing lights to guard the peloton. (I was out shooting a road race last weekend. The organizers sent some guys around in a truck to sweep and shovel the whole course, and had a couple of cops and multiple chase vehicles, pick-up (also wheel truck i think) and a couple bikes so the breakaway and the main peloton could have some protection. If the organizers aren't that organized, maybe don't do that race?

If a group of pleasure riders make a group of cars wait more than a few minutes .... I might suggest that King Richard was offering advice. If there is ZERO inches of safe edge to pull onto ... then slow to a stop, and U-Turn until the cars pass. The u-turn and resume.

It is not the science of the rocket.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-11-23, 11:42 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
mount a camera, just in case you need to file a police report

Old 03-12-23, 05:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10394 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That was rather presumptive of you. I knew I could pass, but there simply was no safe opportunity (ok there were some questionable opportunities, but I prefer to play it safe). Still not the farmer's fault though. The point is that cyclists don't hold drivers back as much as some drivers make it seem, and they're not the only (or the biggest) ones.
Growing up in rural PA, I always found it strange that some of the same people who would be completely understanding of a tractor on the road and would wait patiently would shout "Get off the road!" at me riding a bike and honestly being much easier to pass safely. Hell, I'd lay odds that some of the guys who DROVE the tractors yelled as cyclists.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-12-23, 06:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Was shot at once while riding by a yahoo with a rifle probably drunk and entertaining his buddies. The bullet hit about 6” in front of my front wheel. Rather exciting. Called the Sheriff but the perps were long gone

Had a good friend’s friend taken out by an oncoming overtaking vehicle. Keeps me always on the lookout for bail out spots.