Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Bike To Buy: 2009 Tarmac comp vs 2011 Tarmac comp SL2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-14-23, 07:31 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

My trusty old steed, a 2009 Tarmac Comp (see avatar) has a crack in the top tube right down the seam. I've decided not to have it repaired.
So I'm looking to replace it. Important point: due to a neck injury I have to have a steer tube that's taller than most other Tarmac riders. So whatever bike I buy, I have to replace the fork with one that has a longer steer tube.
I found a 2009 Tarmac that's nearly identical to the one I own. It's a straight steer tube (1 1/8"), and a Fact 6R frame. I could transfer the fork from my current bike and I'm ready to go.
I also found a 2011 Tarmac SL2 bike with a Fact 8R frame. I can buy a brand new, uncut SL2 Tarmac fork (with 2009 Sl2 Tarmac paint scheme) and have it cut where I want. The paint scheme might be a little off.
Components/wheels make no difference because what ever bike I buy it will get the 7800 Dura Ace triple complete group that came off my damaged frame plus a set of Reynolds R4s. So all I'm concerned about is the frame.
The cost difference between these two options is less than $50 so cost is not an issue.
So the question is, should I go with the 2009 frame I'm familiar with or is the Fact 8r carbon plus the SL2 an improvement I should go after? Any input is appreciated. This is something I plan on doing very soon.
Old 03-15-23, 07:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
JMO, but with an aged carbon frame, provenance trumps all. One owner whom you know and trust?
Old 03-15-23, 07:17 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
JMO, but with an aged carbon frame, provenance trumps all. One owner whom you know and trust?
Don't know either owner.