Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What kind of frame is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 09:48 PM
6door74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Can anyone give insight into this frame? R.E.W. Reynolds in a chrome type finish... Is there a model name for this bike? Can anyone guess a year range?

Thanks

Old 01-15-23, 09:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would ask the moderators to move your thread to https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/ or at least Classic and Vintage it would get the best traction as it is a vintage frame under those modern parts.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-15-23, 09:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Looks like an eight speed cassette, which (I believe) would make it 1990s, I believe. (Assuming it was originally an eight speed bike.)
Old 01-15-23, 10:20 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by Koyote
Looks like an eight speed cassette, which (I believe) would make it 1990s, I believe. (Assuming it was originally an eight speed bike.)
It's an 11 speed but I'm sure it's not original.
Old 01-15-23, 10:26 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would ask the moderators to move your thread to https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/ or at least Classic and Vintage it would get the best traction as it is a vintage frame under those modern parts.
I wasn't sure if I should put it there since I wasn't really looking for an appraisal. Though a question about value would have inevitably come up.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-15-23, 11:43 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
I wasn't sure if I should put it there since I wasn't really looking for an appraisal. Though a question about value would have inevitably come up.
Yea, Classic and Vintage (not necessarily appraisals) is always the best place for questions about old bikes like this. I'll bet you'd have already received some intersting info already if you'd posted there.
Old 01-16-23, 03:02 AM
6door74

Can anyone give insight into this frame? R.E.W. Reynolds in a chrome type finish... Is there a model name for this bike? Can anyone guess a year range? Thanks

Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-16-23, 03:43 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
R.E.W Reynolds are still going, but it seems they only do cycling apparel now, not frames https://reynolds-england.com/
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 01-16-23, 06:40 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
REW Reynolds was a bike shop in Northhamton in about the center of England. They didn't make frames themselves. The frames they sold under their name were made by Woodrup in Leeds (which still exists). Sometimes they were painted at Ellis Briggs in Shipley (but in the same metropolitan area as Leeds). I learned to build frames at Briggs and remember taking some frames to be chromed in a small nearby town but I don't remember exactly where that was. The Reynolds bike shop was known for selling leather cycling shoes. Again they weren't the makers (I don't think) but rather the sellers.

Your frame in your pictures doesn't appear to have any braze-ons and also does not have recessed brake holts. This was the fashion in the 60's and early 70's. If you got this bicycle in the UK, then it might be mid to late 60's. If you got it in the States then it is more likely to be early 70's. Almost no adults rode "10 speed" bikes in the US until after the bike boom that started around 1970. Woodrup made very nice frames so you have a good one.

By the way during that time period upper end frames were not usually sold as complete bikes. When you went to the store, you bought a frame and equipped it with whatever parts you wanted. Obviously your bicycle has had its original parts replaced.
Old 01-16-23, 07:37 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
You certainly have a stunning bike. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Doug for the background on the frameset!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-16-23, 08:00 AM
6door74

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
REW Reynolds was a bike shop in Northhamton in about the center of England. They didn't make frames themselves. The frames they sold under their name were made by Woodrup in Leeds (which still exists). Sometimes they were painted at Ellis Briggs in Shipley (but in the same metropolitan area as Leeds). I learned to build frames at Briggs and remember taking some frames to be chromed in a small nearby town but I don't remember exactly where that was. The Reynolds bike shop was known for selling leather cycling shoes. Again they weren't the makers (I don't think) but rather the sellers.

Your frame in your pictures doesn't appear to have any braze-ons and also does not have recessed brake holts. This was the fashion in the 60's and early 70's. If you got this bicycle in the UK, then it might be mid to late 60's. If you got it in the States then it is more likely to be early 70's. Almost no adults rode "10 speed" bikes in the US until after the bike boom that started around 1970. Woodrup made very nice frames so you have a good one.

By the way during that time period upper end frames were not usually sold as complete bikes. When you went to the store, you bought a frame and equipped it with whatever parts you wanted. Obviously your bicycle has had its original parts replaced.
Thanks for that wealth of knowledge! So this frame may have been chromed I'm guessing? What kind of steel was used? It definitely catches your eye and is probably a nice ride with the modern dura ace, Ultegra, 105, mix of components. I know I couldn't keep up with my cousin when we were riding one day.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-16-23 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-16-23, 08:07 AM
Koyote

It's an 11 speed but I'm sure it's not original.
Huh. Must be a couple more cogs hiding in there!
Old 01-16-23, 08:24 AM
6door74

Huh. Must be a couple more cogs hiding in there!
I'm looking more closely now and you're right. It's my cousin's bike that I'm considering buying and I thought he said it was an 11 speed when we spoke. He sent me pics but I didn't really look at it until you pointed that out. I think I see 9 cogs. Thanks!
Old 01-16-23, 08:30 AM
Koyote

I'm looking more closely now and you're right. It's my cousin's bike that I'm considering buying and I thought he said it was an 11 speed when we spoke. He sent me pics but I didn't really look at it until you pointed that out. I think I see 9 cogs. Thanks!
If it's got nine cogs, then that drivetrain may have been updated if Doug Fattic 's info is correct -- and he seems to know what he's talking about. A few other features, such as the quill stem, support a belief that the frame predates nine-speed drivetrains.
Old 01-16-23, 08:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Merged duplicate threds.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-16-23, 08:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Since the rear triangle was likely spread (if it's a 60's or 70's bike it likely had 120 mm spacing in the back when built, the current rear wheel has an axle that's 10 mm wider now), it might be worth checking alignment before you buy. Depending on how much you pay and what it's worth to you of course.
Old 01-16-23, 08:42 AM
6door74

If it's got nine cogs, then that drivetrain may have been updated if Doug Fattic 's info is correct -- and he seems to know what he's talking about. A few other features, such as the quill stem, support a belief that the frame predates nine-speed drivetrains.
He switched from campi to Shimano and had the bike shop install the parts below. So I guess it's back to 11speed LOL

Old 01-16-23, 09:21 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Thanks for that wealth of knowledge! So this frame may have been chromed I'm guessing? What kind of steel was used? It definitely catches your eye and is probably a nice ride with the modern dura ace, Ultegra, 105, mix of components. I know I couldn't keep up with my cousin when we were riding one day.
I'm pretty confident your frame was made somewhere just before or after 1970. Of course someone could have requested those details at a much later date but that is unlikely. Your long slot 1010A Campy dropouts is another clue. Campy started making shorter ones after 1975 and those became more popular. Also your frame has a full sloping internal fork drown which was common in that era too. At that time it would have used a 5 speed freewheel and the distance between the inside of the dropouts would have been 120mm. When newer parts were put on, the rear distance would have been spread wider.

Most likely your frame was made out of Reynolds 531 tubing with probably a 21/24 gauge top tube and 20/23 down tube. That was the best tubing commonly available in the UK at the time. In other words yours was a top notch maybe custom or off the peg frame when it was bought. They would have paid extra for the chrome and then extra again to have the head tube painted. I'm still curious if you are US or UK based? It is not common at all to see a REW Reynolds frame here in the States.

Here is a story about watching a REW Reynolds frame being painted at Ellis Briggs when I was there in 1975. E-B painted many of Woodrup frames - some of them were marketed by REW. The paint room at Briggs was on the 2nd floor next to the frame building department. We would eat together at lunch. I observed this Reynolds frame being painted an unusual combination or maroon and yellow among other colors. When I went back to the States a bit later to continue teaching high school near Dayton, Ohio, I went into the Kettering Bike Shop and there to my total surprise was this same maroon REW Reynolds frame. The world can be a small place sometimes.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-16-23, 10:03 AM
6door74

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I'm pretty confident your frame was made somewhere just before or after 1970. Of course someone could have requested those details at a much later date but that is unlikely. Your long slot 1010A Campy dropouts is another clue. Campy started making shorter ones after 1975 and those became more popular. Also your frame has a full sloping internal fork drown which was common in that era too. At that time it would have used a 5 speed freewheel and the distance between the inside of the dropouts would have been 120mm. When newer parts were put on, the rear distance would have been spread wider.

Most likely your frame was made out of Reynolds 531 tubing with probably a 21/24 gauge top tube and 20/23 down tube. That was the best tubing commonly available in the UK at the time. In other words yours was a top notch maybe custom or off the peg frame when it was bought. They would have paid extra for the chrome and then extra again to have the head tube painted. I'm still curious if you are US or UK based? It is not common at all to see a REW Reynolds frame here in the States.

Here is a story about watching a REW Reynolds frame being painted at Ellis Briggs when I was there in 1975. E-B painted many of Woodrup frames - some of them were marketed by REW. The paint room at Briggs was on the 2nd floor next to the frame building department. We would eat together at lunch. I observed this Reynolds frame being painted an unusual combination or maroon and yellow among other colors. When I went back to the States a bit later to continue teaching high school near Dayton, Ohio, I went into the Kettering Bike Shop and there to my total surprise was this same maroon REW Reynolds frame. The world can be a small place sometimes.
Wow. There's actually a maroonish REW frame for sale on ebay right now. By the way, i'm in the US. The bike is my cousin's which he got from his dad who is an avid cyclist. From what I got, his father owned the bike for 20+ years. He's considering selling it and I'm considering buying it. I wanted to get more info on it as we start discussing fair pricing.
Old 01-17-23, 06:04 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
If you do Facebook, there is a REW Reynolds group there, and I'm sure they'd be eager to talk about your frame-set.
Old 01-17-23, 03:40 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
If you do Facebook, there is a REW Reynolds group there, and I'm sure they'd be eager to talk about your frame-set.

Thanks. I checked but couldn't find it
Old 01-17-23, 04:11 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Thanks. I checked but couldn't find it
www.facebook.com/REWReynolds1/
Old 01-17-23, 04:20 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
That was what I found but it's not a group so I can't join and post anything. Thanks though