Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tucson Velodrome Groundbreaking

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tucson Velodrome Groundbreaking

Old 09-23-23, 08:36 PM
  #1  
Fahrenheit531 
52psi
Thread Starter
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,015

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Tucson Velodrome Groundbreaking

I'm skeptical of its long-term viability, but I do think it's appropriate to note this evening's groundbreaking on an actual velodrome here in Tucson. Not much else to offer at the moment. We'll see how things develop.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-23-23, 11:00 PM
  #2  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 24,373

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
That's awesome! I recall them holding Arizona state track events at San Diego, so hopefully that means there will be substantial participation.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  
Old 09-24-23, 05:41 AM
  #3  
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer
 
RCMoeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 824 Posts
Over the past 40+ years, there were several efforts to build a velodrome in Phoenix. It's good to see that somewhere in the state has finally gotten as far as groundbreaking.
__________________
Richard C. Moeur, PE - Phoenix AZ, USA
https://www.richardcmoeur.com/bikestuf.html
RCMoeur is offline  
Old 09-24-23, 08:23 AM
  #4  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 4,360

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Awesome ! Don't be skeptical... It'll be great ! I remember when Rodale started building Trexlertown, I went out 2x to watch progress...
If they get a good youth program going, especially with local schools, and have regular evening racing - back at T-town it was Tues & Fri.
they'll get regular great attendance.
Ride On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Old 09-25-23, 08:31 AM
  #5  
Steel Charlie
Senior Member
 
Steel Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 283 Posts
Some backstory
https://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/...t?oid=34663189
Steel Charlie is offline  
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 09-25-23, 01:26 PM
  #6  
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: EspaŮola, NM
Posts: 1,052

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
Wonderful. I wished there was one in Tucson, back in the seventies.
Fredo76 is offline  
Old 09-27-23, 09:12 AM
  #7  
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island (sometimes in SE Florida)
Posts: 2,323

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I hope the velodrome in the OP works out. But Iím skeptical. The skepticism is simply because I see the (outdoor) Major Taylor Velodrome from the air, a couple times a year when Iím flying into/out of Indianapolis when Iím going back to visit family. For twenty years Iíve been doing that and I have never, not once, seen anyone on the track, nor even in the facility.

Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Old 09-27-23, 10:03 AM
  #8  
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer
 
Fredo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: EspaŮola, NM
Posts: 1,052

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I hope the velodrome in the OP works out. But Iím skeptical. The skepticism is simply because I see the (outdoor) Major Taylor Velodrome from the air, a couple times a year when Iím flying into/out of Indianapolis when Iím going back to visit family. For twenty years Iíve been doing that and I have never, not once, seen anyone on the track, nor even in the facility.

Dan
Are you assuming your 40 minutes, give or take, in the air over the velodrome are a representative sampling of 20 years of velodrome usage? You observed the velodrome empty for maybe two minutes every year. There are 525600 minutes in a year, and 10 1/2 million minutes in 20 years. You have observed the velodrome for 0.000038 th of its existence. I'm skeptical that your sampling is representative.
Fredo76 is offline  
Old 09-27-23, 10:20 AM
  #9  
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island (sometimes in SE Florida)
Posts: 2,323

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Are you assuming your 40 minutes, give or take, in the air over the velodrome are a representative sampling of 20 years of velodrome usage? You observed the velodrome empty for maybe two minutes every year. There are 525600 minutes in a year, and 10 1/2 million minutes in 20 years. You have observed the velodrome for 0.000038 th of its existence. I'm skeptical that your sampling is representative.
Thanks for doing the math. Yes, of course there are many more minutes of the day that I havenít observed (forgot to include driving past it on all those occasions too.) Iím just saying that on all those occasions, I havenít even seen a car in the parking lot, let alone anyone using the track. But, after all these years, itís still there. So evidently it does get used. By comparison, numerous times flying in/out of Indy I have seen cars doing laps at the IMS. Even in Indianapolis, there are probably more bicycles in the area than race cars. ó Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Old 09-27-23, 11:19 AM
  #10  
79pmooney
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,902

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Tucson Velodrome Groundbreaking

I hope this flies. Here we had the Portland Velodrome Heartbreaking. The privately owned park containing the velodrome (Alpenrose) got sold to become, no doubt, homes, condos and apartments. The park had been dairy land (dairy is still there but has imported the milk for many years) then a wonderful park for kids containing a first class (and lit) softball field that hosted many World Series, a 1/4 midget race track, rodeo, a theater house, hosted CX events, etc. A gift to the community. That Portland couldn't see that its worth was way, way more than the tax dollars of a few more dwellings - well I just shake my head. The city didn't have to buy it. Just figure out a way to allow the family to keep doing what they had been doing for decades without being complete fools $$-wise.
79pmooney is online now  
Old 09-27-23, 05:42 PM
  #11  
Fahrenheit531 
52psi
Thread Starter
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,015

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I hope this flies. Here we had the Portland Velodrome Heartbreaking. The privately owned park containing the velodrome (Alpenrose) got sold to become, no doubt, homes, condos and apartments. The park had been dairy land (dairy is still there but has imported the milk for many years) then a wonderful park for kids containing a first class (and lit) softball field that hosted many World Series, a 1/4 midget race track, rodeo, a theater house, hosted CX events, etc. A gift to the community. That Portland couldn't see that its worth was way, way more than the tax dollars of a few more dwellings - well I just shake my head. The city didn't have to buy it. Just figure out a way to allow the family to keep doing what they had been doing for decades without being complete fools $$-wise.
They're building this one southeast of town and well out of the way, where the fairgrounds and the race track/drag strip are located. Downside to this is it's quite distant for a lot of folks and really only sees traffic when an event is happening at one of those places. Upside is a lot of the development currently occurring around here is in the far southeast section of town, which means it's only about a 15 minute drive from where the growth is, while still being in an area that's not really desirable for developers. (Wrong side of the interstate.)

Find the green highlight in the southeast corner of this map for planned location:
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Old 09-27-23, 11:05 PM
  #12  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 24,373

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Thanks for doing the math. Yes, of course there are many more minutes of the day that I havenít observed (forgot to include driving past it on all those occasions too.) Iím just saying that on all those occasions, I havenít even seen a car in the parking lot, let alone anyone using the track. But, after all these years, itís still there. So evidently it does get used. By comparison, numerous times flying in/out of Indy I have seen cars doing laps at the IMS. Even in Indianapolis, there are probably more bicycles in the area than race cars. ó Dan
Looking at their online calendar, it's similar to most other velodromes in the US. There are training sessions many weeknights and events most weekends. Comparing race specific cars to all bicycles in the area is probably useless since you're going to see almost exclusively track bikes on the track just as you see mostly race cars on the speedway.
https://indycycloplex.com/schedule?v...&month=08-2023

I suppose the key difference is you're likely to see race cars on a professional motor circuit almost any day because that's where they spend much of their time training. Track cyclists, however, still ride more miles out on the open road than on a velodrome.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.