Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure vs Speed Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-04-21, 08:24 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

I've been riding for two years. I have a Giant Toughroad, which is not a fast bike. I am not that fast either.
My tire pressure was getting low and today I put some air in. Before, you could squeeze them and they were hard as maybe a beachball, 60 psi, but today I had them slightly less than rock hard, maybe 80 psi.
When I went out, it was raining like hell and windy and cold and starting to freeze . My feet were soaked then feeling funny and I got concerned so I jacked up my speedto get home fast.
With the higher pressure, I noticed I was moving pretty briskly and then I noticed was able to use the big ring and smallest cog the whole 30 miles and cut 20 minutes of my time.
That being said, what 32 to 35 mm inner tube can be pumped up to 100 psi like a road bike?
Next, at what psi does this effect wear off. I'm guessing 120 is the limit? Because after that, rock hard is rock hard?
Sure had some fun today...or was it my imagination? BTW my lower legs and feet were purple and my hands were too.

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 12-04-21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-04-21, 08:31 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I've been riding for two years. I have a Giant Toughroad, which is not a fast bike. I am not that fast either.
My tire pressure was getting low and today I put some air in. Before, you could squeeze them and they were hard as maybe a beachball, 60 psi, but today I had them slightly less than rock hard, maybe 80 psi.
When I went out, it was raining like hell and windy and cold and starting to freeze . My feet were soaked then feeling funny and I got concerned so I jacked up my speedto get home fast.
With the higher pressure, I noticed I was moving pretty briskly and then I noticed was able to use the big ring and smallest cog the whole 30 miles and cut 20 minutes of my time.
That being said, what 32 to 35 mm inner tube can be pumped up to 100 psi like a road bike?
Next, at what psi does this effect wear off. I'm guessing 120 is the limit? Because after that, rock hard is rock hard?
Sure had some fun today...or was it my imagination? BTW my lower legs and feet were purple and my hands were too.
With all this talk about softer tire pressures, in circumstances where the roads are good, narrow tires with high pressures are really fast. But I don't think there are many 35mm tires that can be pumped to 100psi.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-04-21, 09:00 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Physics being what it is you definitely don't want to pump a 35mm tire up to 100psi. That would be the rough equivalent of a 23mm tire at 140psi. It doesn't matter which inner tube you use, it will only expand as big as the tire...so you could theoretically inflate any tube to 200psi if the tire would stay on the rim. Guessing about your ideal pressure is useless unless we know how much you and your bike weigh AND what the road surface you ride on is like.
Old 12-04-21, 09:38 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I got my wife some Vittoria Zaffiro pros 32s for the winter, which say they can be pumped up to a maximum of 100psi. Although normally I have hers at about 60/65psi for fall riding. Interestingly, as a side note, the Vittoria's measure 29.5mm on her bike, slightly less then the Continental GP4000iis 28s on my bike that measure 29.8mm.

I'm guessing you probably have tires with stiff casings on your bike like a puncture proof tire or similar? So increasing the tire pressure on them does make some sense, in theory some better tires will maybe run with lower rolling resistance at lower inflation than your tires.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-ti...-jan-heine-d1/
Old 12-04-21, 10:09 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
In the same road tire, higher pressure will run faster since the higher pressure will reduce the contact patch. But as roads aren't usually smooth, past a certain pressure the resulting road vibration can create greater fatigue slowing you down and make the bike less stable/more bouncy over rough patches requiring slower speeds. Optimal pressure is based on your weight, tire size, materials, rim size, and road conditions. Strictly road I don't have any tire under 35mm I run at under 80psi for myself or under 70psi for my wife.
Old 12-04-21, 10:32 PM
AJW2W11E

I guess my fast ride today was half due to the 20 extra psi and half due to my imagination . Because its only 8 30 pm here and I need a monster nap.
But do you think those super heavy duty Schwalbe inner tubes could take 75 psi?

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 12-04-21 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-04-21, 10:47 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
But do you think those super heavy duty Schwalbe inner tubes could take 75 psi?
Any tube can "take" any riding pressure, as long as the pressure doesn't cause the tire to blow off the rim.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-05-21, 03:31 AM
cjenrick

Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
97 psi for everything. rain or shine. rim cuts will slow you down more than your lowered tire pressure will speed you up on bumpy roads.

note that in winter, your indoor bike will lose pressure if you go from 72 degrees to 38 F.

note that if you climb to 5000 feet that your tires will feel like teak wood from less atmospheric pressure.

note that if you brake constantly coming down the 5000 ft peak that your rims will heat up and your handling will feel weird due to hi pressure.

note that if you use wood rims, you will be the coolest cyclist on the block.

Last edited by cjenrick; 12-05-21 at 03:35 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 12-05-21, 04:20 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
In the same road tire, higher pressure will run faster since the higher pressure will reduce the contact patch.
Size of contact patch doesn't actually have much to do with rolling resistance. Rolling resistance depends much more on frictional losses in other parts of the tire/tube system. It's sort of sleight-of-hand misdirection -- people looked at the tire and thought the losses were related to the contact patch, which they could see since it touches the road; however, most of the losses occur in the parts of the tire that they weren't looking at. That's why latex tubes reduce rolling resistance compared to butyl tubes, even though they don't affect contact patch; and why two tires with the same width and same contact patch but different sidewalls or rubber thicknesses can have different rolling resistance. It's also why knobbed tires can have higher rolling resistance than smooth tires even though their contact patch is smaller.

When you understand that it's not the contact patch per se that matters, it frees you up to look at other components of the system and why lower tire pressure can, in some but not all cases, reduce rolling resistance even though it can increase contact patch. That is, in the same tire, higher pressure will not always run faster.
Old 12-05-21, 04:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
This article explains why rock hard tires usually are not faster. The takeaway is rolling resistance decreases as tire pressure increases until a limit is reached where rolling resistance increases very, very quickly. This inflection depends on the road surface and tire construction.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...en-testing-it/
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-05-21, 08:10 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Most tires state their theoretical or rcommended limit. I wouldnt exceed what it says on the sidewall.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 12-05-21, 08:44 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I got my wife some Vittoria Zaffiro pros 32s for the winter, which say they can be pumped up to a maximum of 100psi. Although normally I have hers at about 60/65psi for fall riding. Interestingly, as a side note, the Vittoria's measure 29.5mm on her bike, slightly less then the Continental GP4000iis 28s on my bike that measure 29.8mm.

I'm guessing you probably have tires with stiff casings on your bike like a puncture proof tire or similar? So increasing the tire pressure on them does make some sense, in theory some better tires will maybe run with lower rolling resistance at lower inflation than your tires.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-ti...-jan-heine-d1/
very interesting article, so my tubulars pumped up to 120 are are all a fantasy in my mind that I'm going much faster oh well I guess I'm just living in lala land haha
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 12-05-21, 09:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
very interesting article, so my tubulars pumped up to 120 are are all a fantasy in my mind that I'm going much faster oh well I guess I'm just living in lala land haha
Don't feel bad, I used to crank mine to 150 back in the day.
Old 12-05-21, 10:02 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
This article explains why rock hard tires usually are not faster. The takeaway is rolling resistance decreases as tire pressure increases until a limit is reached where rolling resistance increases very, very quickly. This inflection depends on the road surface and tire construction.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...en-testing-it/
That Zinn article isn't bad. Here's a link to Tom's original discussion of impedance (note how he "undertook an experiment 'on the road' armed with a PowerTap power meter and a method for determining the Crr").
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-05-21, 10:21 AM
Moles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Here's another...

I watched this well over a year ago, so I can't comment on specific content, but I recall this being a really good in-depth discussion on finding the right tire pressure. Ignore the clickbait-y title...
Likes For Moles:
Old 12-05-21, 10:56 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
You can find out for your tires on your bike by brushing with a friend, thusly:
Start out together, coasting down a hill at the same speed, note who gains.
Now change something on your bike, more pressure, less pressure, what ever, and repeat. Keep everything else the same, same hill, same speed, same position, no changes to friend's bike. Now, did you get faster of slower? Your friend, with unchanged position and bike is presumably the same.
This evaluates the bike, not the terrain, your fitness, the phase of the moon, or any thing else, but it does a good job of that
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-05-21, 11:39 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
The recent articles/studies saying that wider tires at lower pressures are just as fast as thin tires at high pressure is Big Gravel trying to n+1 roadies. Follow the money.

OP I'm 250 lbs and run my 33 mm tires at 100+ psi. They say 65 psi on them but they dont break.
Old 12-05-21, 11:50 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
When I went out, it was raining like hell and windy and cold and starting to freeze
Tailwind!
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-05-21, 12:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
If you don't have data from multiple rides of the same route, then I'd say all you have is conjecture which is borderline on imagination.
Old 12-05-21, 01:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
That Zinn article isn't bad. Here's a link to Tom's original discussion of impedance (note how he "undertook an experiment 'on the road' armed with a PowerTap power meter and a method for determining the Crr").
What was that - the good ol' Chang Method?

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-05-21, 04:05 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The recent articles/studies saying that wider tires at lower pressures are just as fast as thin tires at high pressure is Big Gravel trying to n+1 roadies. Follow the money.

OP I'm 250 lbs and run my 33 mm tires at 100+ psi. They say 65 psi on them but they dont break.
Stop it Larry.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-05-21, 04:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I suspect that's best you'll get out of those tires on that bike. but keep experimenting & report back. maybe w/ a pic next time
Old 12-05-21, 05:32 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by SpedFast
Tailwind!
tailwind plus the desire to get home fast. I was soaked.
My legs and feet and hands were dark red / purple. I prepared a hot bath, but I couldn’t even feel the temperature so I didn’t get in, was afraid I might burn or scald myself.
My first priority is not hi pressure tires. It’s rain pants rain shoes and waterproof gloves. Rain is worse than snow.
Old 12-06-21, 12:42 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by WhyFi
What was that - the good ol' Chang Method?

The relevant piece is that he discovered it by doing field tests on the road, not in the lab. Until then, doing high-precision road tests was a huge PITA so no one did them (it's still kind of a PITA, just less than before). Actually, when he told me about the planned experiment I wasn't sure he'd be able to get the necessary precision and resolution, so when he said that he had some puzzling results my first thought was "I told you so" and that the finding was garbage. But we looked at his data, and we tried to figure out what he'd done wrong, and he re-ran some tests, and we re-analyzed the data. And the results replicated. I was agog. I think the two lessons are: 1) Tom is a really good experimentalist, much better than I am, damn him; and 2) when he found an unexpected result, he tried to figure out what he'd done wrong and to reject it. He didn't start with a hypothesis and then do experiments to prove it; he had data that showed something unexpected and odd and tried to figure out what went wrong. In the end, we have to go with the data, and in this case it forced us to change our minds and learn something we hadn't previously known. That's always cool.
Likes For RChung:
Old 12-06-21, 05:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
tailwind plus the desire to get home fast. I was soaked.
My legs and feet and hands were dark red / purple. I prepared a hot bath, but I couldn’t even feel the temperature so I didn’t get in, was afraid I might burn or scald myself.My first priority is not hi pressure tires. It’s rain pants rain shoes and waterproof gloves. Rain is worse than snow.
barmitts are good for rain too, not just cold

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.