Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Monkey Hill Commuter Challenge

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-23-23, 03:23 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts

What have I gotten myself into? Signed up the other day for this event as part of the Wilmington Grand Prix (Delaware). It's pretty hysterical if you watch some footage on YouTube but you basically dress in work clothes, ride a 3 mile route and end going up a cobblestone street (big hill) near the Zoo, hence the Monkey Hill name. I don't know if any others would be interested in joining, doesn't seem like there's too many people in the Delaware Valley on here but sharing just in case because you know misery loves company. The more money you raise for Urban Bike Project, the more weight you have to add to your bike. This should be interesting. Also, it corresponds with Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 19 so lots going on celebration-wise.
https://wilmgrandprix.com/
(click the link for Monkey Hill Time Trial)
Old 02-23-23, 11:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Up to a point adding weight to the bike will keep you from looping out. Up to a point...

Vaguely reminds me of the Dogmeat No-Dab Challenge
13th Annual Dog-Meat No-Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS! (Brought to you by Trail Head Cyclery (THC))
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-02-23, 05:05 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts
Here's a video clip, hopefully it works with me fast forwarding to the first commuter rider to come up the hill: