Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

How does a Triathlon Work? Questions for new Triathletes answered here

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

How does a Triathlon Work? Questions for new Triathletes answered here

Old 01-19-10, 12:44 AM
Fred Matthews

Bikes: 2010 58cm Royal Windsor Triathlon bike - it is alright for now but I certainly hope to upgrade in the next few years.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tri shorts are bike/swim shorts designed specifically for the uniqueness of triathlon. You wear it throughout as changing clothes in the transition area is a no-no. If you wear a wetsuit then this is just underneath. The extra padding in the seat area doesn't distract during the swim or run. It dries rather quickly. I did my first tri in a long Speedo and the rest in tri shorts...I REALLY recommend tri shorts.

You can get a top section of a wetsuit if you like rather than a full suit. But the full suits come off pretty easily so I would recommend getting one. Now sleeved or sleeveless is totally your call. I like the sleeveless because I like the full range of motion - although many of the newer sleeved wetsuits provide a great range of motion so I would throw that out. And, since you take your arms out way before you get to transition that doesn't play into additional time.

So, get what you feel comfortable with.

Fred
Old 01-19-10, 01:07 AM
Ska!

Bikes: '9? SS Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info Fred! i may have to scrounge money for some tri shorts... any entry level/bang for your buck models i should look at?
Old 01-19-10, 11:01 AM
Fred Matthews

Bikes: 2010 58cm Royal Windsor Triathlon bike - it is alright for now but I certainly hope to upgrade in the next few years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't do a ton of reseach on shorts. I just went to my LBS and found a pair I liked that didn't force me to steal from my kids. Triathlon gear can be pricey so I have to be more careful on where I spend my money. I got my wetsuit off ebay and saved $100. So look around. Check your LBS. Contact local Tri clubs. Also, there have been a number of threads on here discussing wetsuits and tri shorts.

Fred
Old 02-08-10, 12:14 PM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is everyones master list on what to bring to a triathlon? Wanting to do triathlons soon and am one for lists. What to bring for:
Pre-Race
Swim
T1
Bike
T2
Run
Post-Race
Old 02-19-10, 11:22 AM
Fred Matthews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swim: Goggles (2nd pair just in case), anti-fog spray, swim cap (probably provided by race), watch, wet-suit...if it is a really cold race you might need: swim gloves, swim boots, skull cap, extra swim cap

T1 to Bike: Towel, small bucket of water (if at a beach), shirt (if you didn't swim with it on), helmet, sunglasses, bike shoes, socks, water, sport drink, gels, repair kit

T2 to Run: Shoes, socks (if you didn't put them on for the bike), race number (consider getting a run belt), sunglasses, hat or visor

I am sure I missed something but that will get you started.

Fred
Old 03-08-10, 04:25 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
There was a thread on glasses and triathlons two years ago, but I thought I would ask here. I have a strong prescription and don't wear contacts. I use geeky clip on sunglasses for riding. For normal lake swimming, I just leave my glasses on the shore, but I'm not sure what to do in a triathlon. I could look into getting prescription goggles, and I guess I have a choice of custom ones (expensive, but that's ok) or hoping they make strong generic ones that are close enough. I'd have to put my glasses on the minute I got out of the water, in order to manage transition, and I wonder if anybody actually swims with them in a pouch or something? I'd hate to leave them by the bike, and somehow lose them, and in fact I'm not sure how I woudl even get from there to the swimming start point.

Anybody in this situation?
Old 06-15-10, 10:33 PM
Creeze

Bikes: 88 Hard Rock and a 2010 Giant Rapid 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Times... Do Tri's have cut times for each segment??? I am looking at my first sprint tri, and times seemed faster than I run (ie... The slow guys under 10mph). What are considered decent target times, and at what point do they not allow a finish???
Old 06-16-10, 10:07 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Creeze
Times... Do Tri's have cut times for each segment??? I am looking at my first sprint tri, and times seemed faster than I run (ie... The slow guys under 10mph). What are considered decent target times, and at what point do they not allow a finish???
You may want to find an event that has a "Try at Tri" or "Give it a Tri" option.

I looked at the posted course for a sprint tri recently, and realized I could easily complete the distance. However I then estimated what my time would be if I competed, and based on the previous year's results, and my current training times, I discovered I would have finished last with a big gap. So if I enrol, it will definitely be the "Try a Tri" option this time around. At least there I probably won't be last, or at least not by much!
Old 06-16-10, 10:12 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

As I posted in another thread, I bought prescription goggles that will work well enough to find my way to the starting line and swim the course. It was a Canadian supplier and they were cheap. Here are the details from my other thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10543760
Old 06-17-10, 04:08 PM
Creeze

Bikes: 88 Hard Rock and a 2010 Giant Rapid 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Cooker... Di most "Try a Tri" races advertise as such, or do you just need to ask around. It's tough to find races close enough to me (North Idaho), so I may be stuck with a standard Sprint...
Old 06-17-10, 04:11 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Creeze
Thanks Cooker... Di most "Try a Tri" races advertise as such, or do you just need to ask around. It's tough to find races close enough to me (North Idaho), so I may be stuck with a standard Sprint...
Many of the triathlons or triathlon sponsors in Ontario seem to have the "try a tri" option listed on their websites.
Old 07-19-10, 02:47 AM
j4son

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi! i will be entering my first dualthon in august and had a few questions..

-since its a run bike run, should i still look into tri shorts and a tri top?
-i saw a auction for some elastic shoe laces made for tri's, they are already knotted and the tension is held by some sort of clip, should i invest in these?
-would running in a cycling jersey and/or shorts the whole way hinder me in any way?

i have a bunch of other questions, i just cant think of them right now. thanks!
Old 07-19-10, 01:46 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j4son
-since its a run bike run, should i still look into tri shorts and a tri top?
Shorts-yes Top-maybe? I will explain after the third question.
-i saw a auction for some elastic shoe laces made for tri's, they are already knotted and the tension is held by some sort of clip, should i invest in these?
If you mean Yankz then YES!!!! they are usually about $5 and they are probably worth a good minute trying to tie shoes.
-would running in a cycling jersey and/or shorts the whole way hinder me in any way?
Hinder-not really, but it may be an annoyance.

The cycling jersey is fine, the only difference between one of those and a tri top is that tri tops have no sleeves and are designed so that it is easier to swim. Tri tops also have small or no pockets because of the swim.
As for shorts, the tri chamois will be more comfortable for the run, and will have just enough padding for the bike. With bike shorts, the bigger chamois might annoy you, or you may not care, try it out in training first.

Have fun with your race.
Old 07-21-10, 12:10 AM
j4son

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks so much for the answers! i had a few more that came to mind during work...

-i have my bottles mounted behind my saddle. is there a specific angle or something that they should be at?

-wheel size. i read an article that 650c's should be used on tri bikes. what are the reasons/benefits for this?

oh and i went ahead and bought the yankz. love em!
Old 07-21-10, 03:59 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by j4son
thanks so much for the answers! i had a few more that came to mind during work...

-i have my bottles mounted behind my saddle. is there a specific angle or something that they should be at?

-wheel size. i read an article that 650c's should be used on tri bikes. what are the reasons/benefits for this?

oh and i went ahead and bought the yankz. love em!
If it's your first tri (like mine coming up Aug 13) presumably you will use whatever bike you have available and the wheels already on it.

The 650C wheel is slightly smaller than a standard road bike wheel, and allows manufacturers of specially made tri bikes to design them with a lower rider head and torso position for better aerodynamics at least in theory.

Last edited by cooker; 07-21-10 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 05:06 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May I make the note that the 650c idea was popular back in the early 2000s, now no tri bikes from any of the major manufacturers use 650c wheels except for in their small sizes. (at least none that I can think of)

Also, If you have a 700c or even 27 inch wheels, you can't put 650c wheels on your bike. The bike needs to be made for 650c wheels. (or if you REALLY wanted you can but it's not really worth all of the extra drop bolts and long reach breaks you would need)

Some people have preferences on what angle to mount bottles, I have heard straight up keeps the bottles in more, but if you have good cages and you don't go over too many big bumps, it won't matter. Whatever angle is there now should work.
Old 08-12-10, 11:35 PM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the start of the swim, I know they send people out in waves. When the gun goes off, is that when the time starts or does it start when you pass through the chip reader after the gun goes off? I'm hoping it's the latter since I can take my time getting in the water and not have to bump into other people.
Old 10-04-10, 12:44 PM
Fred Matthews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never done a wave start but I would imagine that it would start once you pass the chip reader...even if that means you are standing there for a moment waiting for everyone to get into place. You really wouldn't be giving any time away since all those in your wave and all those in the other waves would be in the same situation.

This is just my guess. I hope someone else chips in. Sorry - couldn't resist.

Fred
Old 10-04-10, 02:41 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have done a fair share of wave starts, but usually the chip reader is right in front of a coral, or they just know what wave you are supposed to be in, so they start everyone in that wave at the same time. If there is a chip reader in front of the water for some reason, then the time would start once you cross the chip reader, if not, then get ready for some elbows.
Old 10-05-10, 08:28 AM
Crack Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's a floating start, you'll pass the chip reader as you enter the water, but the timing will queue up, and then begin for the entire wave on the gun. I haven't done one with a running start (common at the beach), so don't know.
Old 01-08-12, 09:00 AM
megtyler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm going to start training but i have very weak upper body strength. I don't want to bulk up. is yoga effective for building upper body strength?
Old 01-08-12, 07:01 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by megtyler
i'm going to start training but i have very weak upper body strength. I don't want to bulk up. is yoga effective for building upper body strength?
Just start swimming regularly...
Old 01-10-12, 06:43 AM
megtyler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok. thanks.
Old 01-10-12, 06:00 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by megtyler
ok. thanks.
Please don't get me wrong. I am sure there are benefits to doing yoga or other training to improve general upper body strength, but swimming will help and is specific strength needed for the sport.

For Triathlons, you are training three sports which all need a reasonable time component to train, so I personally don't see much benefit to additional non-specific training. If you are concerned about developing a muscular imbalance from swimming freestyle, throw in some back stroke sets as part of warming up and cooling down.
Old 01-09-13, 10:51 AM
Netdewt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been much of an athlete most of my life, but started going to the gym in the fall. I'm enjoying myself and I'm thinking ahead to what I'd like to do next. I'd like to do at least a metric century this coming summer, and now I am considering a triathlon. I don't know if I will like it or not. My weakest portion right now would be the swim. I'd have to start hitting the pool.

What distance should I try first? There is a .5/15/3 mile event near me in June.

How much gear should I invest in? There are tri suits available for $50-75-ish right now. June here may be a little chilly, but not bad - I have wetsuits but not a tri specific one. Do I need aero bars on my road bike?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.