Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Old 09-29-22, 05:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
It is like that joke about two who encounter a bear... "I don't need to outrun the bear; I just need to outrun you."
I don't know if that works for bears or not, but I do know it does not work for cougars. Do not run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...was-emaciated/
Old 09-29-22, 05:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
As I pointed out from the beginning: Thieves will break crappy locks to steal crappy bikes, and they'll break good locks to steal good bikes.

The question that remains unanswered, is what's the sweet spot of "ugly" where they won't break a good lock, to steal a bike?
The point you are ignoring is that it will not be a crappy bike ,,,
You might fool the meth-heads but they will be deterred by any serious lock ,,,, or two cheap locks, which is what I have been using successfully, The question remains, will your crappy paint fool anyone willing to tackle a decent lock to steal a decent bike?

At this point, test it or go away, I'd say. Too much talk, no data,
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-29-22, 05:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Cut off its food supply, folks.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-29-22, 06:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I don't know if that works for bears or not, but I do know it does not work for cougars. Do not run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...was-emaciated/
Never run from a bear either. Stand your ground and fight back and if that doesn’t work, play dead.

Old 09-29-22, 06:45 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rsbob
Never run from a bear either. Stand your ground and fight back and if that doesn’t work, play dead.
Or take a photo.

Old 09-30-22, 03:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
What I want to see now is a few photos of the resultant fugly paint job and expensive lock. I think it's a FANTASTIC idea! (well at least for our entertainment
Old 09-30-22, 03:56 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by PeteHski
What I want to see now is a few photos of the resultant fugly paint job and expensive lock. I think it's a FANTASTIC idea! (well at least for our entertainment
Now? I called for that pages ago. Have we even seen a before photo? I added OP to my iggy list when I became convinced that this thread is bogus.
Old 09-30-22, 06:40 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Some guys are into older women.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-30-22, 08:07 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The point you are ignoring is that it will not be a crappy bike ,,,
You might fool the meth-heads but they will be deterred by any serious lock ,,,, or two cheap locks, which is what I have been using successfully, The question remains, will your crappy paint fool anyone willing to tackle a decent lock to steal a decent bike?

At this point, test it or go away, I'd say. Too much talk, no data,
1- "Professional" thieves don't steal dozens/hundreds or bikes so they can have dozens/hundreds of bikes; they steal bikes to sell them. What's the resale value of a nice bike that looks like hell? How does that compare to the resale value of a nice bike that looks like a nice bike? Why would a "professional" bike thief put in the effort to break a good lock, for a bike with minimal resale value, when bikes with higher resale value are abundant and easier to steal?

2- If I gave a brand-new bike a "rust" paint job, whatever happens to it is an anecdote, not data. And it's an anecdote that may not apply in different cities, or even in different locations in my city, or the same location on different days of the week.
Old 09-30-22, 08:10 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Never mind, just go on arguing for the sake of arguing.
I'm not arguing, I'm asking you to clarify what seems to be one the most nonsensical assertions yet, in this thread. Go back and read it.
Old 09-30-22, 12:22 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
1- "Professional" thieves don't steal dozens/hundreds or bikes so they can have dozens/hundreds of bikes; they steal bikes to sell them. What's the resale value of a nice bike that looks like hell? How does that compare to the resale value of a nice bike that looks like a nice bike? Why would a "professional" bike thief put in the effort to break a good lock, for a bike with minimal resale value, when bikes with higher resale value are abundant and easier to steal?

The value would be in the components. I’d venture to say that high-end bikes that get stolen are more likely to be broken up for parts than less expensive models.
just because the paint job looks like hell, if it’s sitting on Ultegra or SRAM Red with nice wheels, it’s worth it to steal it and strip it, and since components are far more fungible than frames/complete bikes, less risk, too.

Think of it this way; the owner of a $2000+ bike would be more likely to have registered the serial numbers, or installed a tracking device like an AirTag, and will be much more likely to try to track it down on the resale market, than the owner of a $500 hybrid.
Old 09-30-22, 02:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Some guys are into older women.
Don’t tell that to my older wife.

Old 10-01-22, 12:15 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
The value would be in the components. I’d venture to say that high-end bikes that get stolen are more likely to be broken up for parts than less expensive models.<br />just because the paint job looks like hell, if it’s sitting on Ultegra or SRAM Red with nice wheels, it’s worth it to steal it and strip it, and since components are far more fungible than frames/complete bikes, less risk, too.
Agreed. But this bike will be mostly Deore level parts. I don't think that's too much of a target for theft. Sure, if someone can grab the bike easily, it'll get grabbed, but I can't picture anyone stealing it for parts, or stripping parts off of it while parked.

YMMV. Around here, people tend to steal bikes, not parts.

Last edited by smasha; 10-01-22 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-01-22, 09:35 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Years down the road someone will stumble on this thread and say, “How stupid. Nobody steals bikes that you have to pedal.”

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-05-22, 03:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Agreed. But this bike will be mostly Deore level parts. I don't think that's too much of a target for theft.
So why even bother? if it isn't that good a bike, you just need a decent lock---you told us that.
Sure, if someone can grab the bike easily, it'll get grabbed, but I can't picture anyone stealing it for parts, or stripping parts off of it while parked.
Then why all the angst? Just lock it with a decent lock ... you told us .... oh, wait, I said that.

Around here, people tend to steal bikes, not parts.
Yeah .... ummmm .... as has been clearly stated, the people steal the bikes and strip the parts.

At least try to pretend you are honestly discussing, right?

In any case ... put up or shut up. You came up with a wild, hare-brained idea for a bike which doesn't even warrant the concern, and inflated it into a thread, and then instead of admitting you never intended to do any of it, kept pretending that this was a serious discussion and you were seriously trying to find the best solution.

Logical inconsistency is a key sign that a person is thinking after, not before the post. You never really planned to paint your bike ugly, but you don't want to simply admit the truth.

It doesn't matter. No one needs to be told when the sun is up, and those that deny it .... don't matter.

Prove me wrong. Post "before" pics of the bike now, and in a week post the same bike with ugly paint. Walk the talk.
Old 10-05-22, 06:39 PM
addendum8716

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
thief just everywhere you need to be caution
Old 10-07-22, 07:06 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Maelochs
So why even bother? if it isn't that good a bike, you just need a decent lock---you told us that. Then why all the angst? Just lock it with a decent lock ... you told us .... oh, wait, I said that.

Yeah .... ummmm .... as has been clearly stated, the people steal the bikes and strip the parts.

At least try to pretend you are honestly discussing, right?

In any case ... put up or shut up. You came up with a wild, hare-brained idea for a bike which doesn't even warrant the concern, and inflated it into a thread, and then instead of admitting you never intended to do any of it, kept pretending that this was a serious discussion and you were seriously trying to find the best solution.

Logical inconsistency is a key sign that a person is thinking after, not before the post. You never really planned to paint your bike ugly, but you don't want to simply admit the truth.

It doesn't matter. No one needs to be told when the sun is up, and those that deny it .... don't matter.

Prove me wrong. Post "before" pics of the bike now, and in a week post the same bike with ugly paint. Walk the talk.
1- The bike could very easily be a target for theft, even with a good lock. The point there is that it's unlikely anyone (where I live) would steal the components off of it, while it's locked up.

2- Again, parts theft ≠ bike theft.

3- In case I haven't made myself clear: DIFFERENT TYPES OF THIEVES OPERATE DIFFERENTLY. Where I live, bike theft is a problem, but component theft is not a problem. Thus, I need to protect the bike from theft, not the components.

Not sure why you're being so obtuse about it.
Old 10-07-22, 07:13 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

This is where I live.

Police alleged the items, including high-value pushbikes, such as mountain bikes or ebikes, whiteware and other household appliances, high value tools and construction materials, were stolen through theft, burglary, shoplifting and fraud.

“Many of the pushbikes and ebikes have reportedly been stolen from the central city area.”
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...lice-operation

Old 10-07-22, 07:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
You live in a storage locker?

This is where I live.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-07-22, 10:39 PM
Maelochs

1- The bike could very easily be a target for theft, even with a good lock. The point there is that it's unlikely anyone (where I live) would steal the components off of it, while it's locked up.
As has been stated several times, PEOPLE STEAL THE WHOLE BIKE AND STRIP THE PARTS AT HOME.
Wicked irony.
2- Again, parts theft ≠ bike theft.
and again .....

3- In case I haven't made myself clear: DIFFERENT TYPES OF THIEVES OPERATE DIFFERENTLY. Where I live, bike theft is a problem, but component theft is not a problem. Thus, I need to protect the bike from theft, not the components.
Three strikes and well .... you were out before you started ......

Troll on, pal. Until you post pics of the bike before and after, you are just empty of all worthwhile content.
New thread title?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-08-22, 11:25 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
OP 's idea of bike theft sounds like someone who's never stolen anything.

Just sayin'.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-10-22, 05:37 AM
twonky

Bikes: '85 mongoose ATB, Mongoose IBOC Pro Sx, Mongoose pro Titanium road bike..Paramount MT.Bike, series 70.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yup. no matter what kind of bike...be it very low dollar, to high dollar...someone will try and 'borrow' it. just take whatever steps you can, to prevent it.
Old 10-12-22, 10:35 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I've never had a bike stolen. Because I always had good ulocks and I didn't leave the bike locked outside regularly.

I would be very apprehensive owning a very obviously expensive ebike.

I've also never owned a bike which cost more than $1k. I also custom build my own bikes so they don't have the bling look.
Old 10-17-22, 12:04 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
you can't have nice things

Originally Posted by indyfabz
0 and 0.

In fact, the only place I have had a bike stolen is from inside my house while I was home and awake.
I enjoy finding neglected, unloved machines and bringing them back to life I try not to pay more than $100 and over time I've a large collection of parts. My workshop is in Berkeley Ca a hot spot for thieves.
I've returned to BART to find nothing but a brocken U lock and chain, they got a POS GMC Denali leaving higher end machines behind, the GMC had no decals the frame was just highly polished aluminum and with black spoked wheels it looked the ****. Fast forward 12mths after a hard days work I get on the BART in S.F. strap my Schwinn Curcuit with cool white Sante gear set to the rack on the train and fell asleep, I woke in Richmond with no bike. I don't remember what I paid for it ,thats irrelavent, it had been a basket case and I spent hours lovingly restoring it. I was gutted.
Third times a charm,reading in the sun on campus I fell asleep in the grass, plenty of people around . It was chilly and the sun was going down when I woke.My unique looking Bianchi was gone as was my back pack containing an extremely heavy duty chain and combination lock, open to the combination.
At this point I lost my **** and turned green. On the corner of Shattuck and University outside the MacDonalds was known ground zero for homeless tweakers and bike thieves.
I made it very clear to them and anyone else that would listen I would find my bike and remove the hands of whoever was unlucky to be in possesion of it. I also offered $20 NQA for information. I hit a few more spots ,no luck.
Three days later leaving Downtown Berkeley BART I found it chained to the bike rack with my padlock.The offside pedal had been stripped (retap $35 Missing link) but the combination was unchanged. That was 5+ years ago. I now live downtown SanFrancisco and still have the Bianchi. I take it for granted that I can't turn my back on any bike but that is not going to stop me enjoying the fruits of my labor. I tried the beater angle,loosing a Mongoose and a Giant I locked to itself.
My bike comes with me unless theres one of the manned bike parking places that are popping up.
OK I realize falling asleep was dumb please don't rub it in.
Old 10-17-22, 08:38 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You live in a storage locker?
Sure, why not. We already had one forum member who lived in a shed.... Although given the choice I might have preferred the shed just because it had more natural lighting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.