Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh 575sl want to give some insight if I can.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh 575sl want to give some insight if I can.

Old 11-05-21, 12:13 PM
  #26  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,736

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,327 Posts

650b rough mockup. I would certainly do porteur bars.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 11-05-21, 01:13 PM
  #27  
dweenk 
Senior Member
 
dweenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,955

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Looks great. What brakes did you use?
Tecktro - 559 as i recall.
__________________
I hope...that all mankind will at lengthÖhave reason and sense enough to settle their differences without cutting throats. Ben Franklin
dweenk is offline  
Old 11-05-21, 02:08 PM
  #28  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,736

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,327 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
Tecktro - 559 as i recall.
Mee too but it is real close in back. However 38s fit super easy.

I need to weigh this because it feels very light and a bit stiffer than I anticipated. It seems much lighter than stock. Handles really nice too.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 11-06-21, 04:02 PM
  #29  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,736

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,327 Posts

Dynamo lights and early Blackburn front rack. 8 speeds in back and it's quite nice. I may go with at least one bar end.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 11-07-21, 12:25 PM
  #30  
OldCoot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SANTA CRUZ
Posts: 111

Bikes: 82 Univega Specialissima, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Wheelhouse, Rocky Mtn Thunderbolt, Viner Strada Bianca, ~73 Bob Jackson, ~75 Volkscycle Mark100.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
It was specced with 27s so it has a bit more room. I actually own a 73 competition and super course. They are wonderful riding machines.

This morning I removed the bottom bracket on the Olympic and it was in decent shape but I am installing an idle grand Crue crank and bottom bracket. The bike is getting significantly lighter.
I am curious about how those two bikes feel compared to each other. The Competition has butted tubes, but Supercourse does not, if I recall correctly. Always like the colors on the Supercourse.
putting on new cranks is great thing to do. Not only lighter weight, but lower gearing. With this 52-42 cranks we all rode, makes me wonder how my knees survived. Even more important with my advancing age and decreasing physical abilities.
OldCoot is offline  
Old 11-25-22, 09:24 AM
  #31  
Muffins
Newbie
 
Muffins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 7

Bikes: Lotus Classique, Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That bike looks very nearly identical to my 86(?) Raleigh Marathon, also with the 575sl triple-butted main tubes. I'm not exactly sure how these two compare in Raleigh's line up? Only differences I can see now being that my shifters are on the stem, and the rear dropouts don't have that little spacer screw. I haven't had it for long and am too new to cycling to talk about ride quality; it seems decently lightweight, but is still a couple pounds heavier than my similarly-sized Lotus Classique. That bike is all Tange #2 and Shimano600, I'm too lazy to strip all the components so I don't know if the weight difference is in the components or frame.

Probably a bit of both
Muffins is offline  
Likes For Muffins:
Old 11-25-22, 10:12 AM
  #32  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,736

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffins
That bike looks very nearly identical to my 86(?) Raleigh Marathon, also with the 575sl triple-butted main tubes. I'm not exactly sure how these two compare in Raleigh's line up? Only differences I can see now being that my shifters are on the stem, and the rear dropouts don't have that little spacer screw. I haven't had it for long and am too new to cycling to talk about ride quality; it seems decently lightweight, but is still a couple pounds heavier than my similarly-sized Lotus Classique. That bike is all Tange #2 and Shimano600, I'm too lazy to strip all the components so I don't know if the weight difference is in the components or frame.

Probably a bit of both
I have had many bikes since that one. It still resides in my basement as a frameset. I don't know what 575 really is but since riding several Worksop frames and a few motobecane 531 framesets I can say the 575 is heavier but not bad. It would make an excellent touring rig with the right attachment points. It's not a bike I would hunt down but it is certainly good enough for a lot of uses.
52telecaster is offline  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-26-22, 01:13 AM
  #33  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Pcampeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 819

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 289 Posts
I think this it in the 86 catalog. I had to look hard into the image to see that the color isnít actually grayÖ.honestly, it still looks mostly gray but the color is labeled ďSugar Plum with White trimĒ, I think it must be yours.
Pcampeau is offline  
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 11-26-22, 01:57 AM
  #34  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,736

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I think this it in the 86 catalog. I had to look hard into the image to see that the color isnít actually grayÖ.honestly, it still looks mostly gray but the color is labeled ďSugar Plum with White trimĒ, I think it must be yours.
The fit, finish and general durability of these bikes is terrific but they don't feel snappy like a full 531 frame. I should build this back up for someone who would enjoy a nice bike.
52telecaster is offline  
Old 11-26-22, 01:03 PM
  #35  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Pcampeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 819

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
The fit, finish and general durability of these bikes is terrific but they don't feel snappy like a full 531 frame. I should build this back up for someone who would enjoy a nice bike.
I agree, itís plenty nice but youíve aquired quite a wonderful collection of bikes that are even better. Iíve found that I need to get better at asking myself if the bike Iím looking at is a bike Iím really going to ride and get the most out of. Itís a pretty frame; if you do part with it, someone would love to have it as a regular rider.
Pcampeau is offline  
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 11-26-22, 01:40 PM
  #36  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,736

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I agree, itís plenty nice but youíve aquired quite a wonderful collection of bikes that are even better. Iíve found that I need to get better at asking myself if the bike Iím looking at is a bike Iím really going to ride and get the most out of. Itís a pretty frame; if you do part with it, someone would love to have it as a regular rider.
I may part with several framesets for little or nothing to anyone who wants them. I'd like to see them used.
52telecaster is offline  
Likes For 52telecaster:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.