Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne HeadLight charging in the offseason??

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 05:11 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

What are the guys that DO NOT RIDE in the offseason do with their USB chargeable lights? Do you leave them discharged? Or keep them charged? Or some other type of battery maintanence. I have a lezyne 1300xxl.

Offseason for me is November - March.
Old 02-08-23, 06:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I do not have any lights with internal Li Ion batteries that need charging, but I have several other devices that do. I store them in the fridge after charging them. They retain charge a bit longer when stored in the fridge than they do in warmer temps. If you are concerned that the charge might not last long, put some dates on your calendar to check and possibly charge them.
Old 02-08-23, 08:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think as much has been posted about rechargeable battery life (though not all on this site) as has been posted about chain lube.

One site I saw mentioned that the best way to store rechargeable Li batteries was partly charged. Not 100% charged, and definitely don't let it go to zero. I read that to mean the ideal would be to partially charge the device about once a month, assuming the battery is high enough quality it doesn't discharge in a week.. Obviously you don't want to store it in a hot place.

Having learned all that, I continue to take my light off at the end of the "season" and put it on the shelf, far enough away from its point of use that I'll remember to charge it again months later.
Old 02-13-23, 09:34 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I'd recommend charging your battery somewhere in the 40-60% range and storing in a cool (but not freezing) space.

You pay a price in cell longevity for a fully charged cell, especially if the temperature climbs. Of course, during the season its necessary to have this happen so that the battery is ready when you need it. But it can be avoided in the off-season.

Leaving a cell bottomed out is also not great.

Last edited by Wiggle; 02-13-23 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-13-23, 09:43 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not have any lights with internal Li Ion batteries that need charging, but I have several other devices that do. I store them in the fridge after charging them. They retain charge a bit longer when stored in the fridge than they do in warmer temps. If you are concerned that the charge might not last long, put some dates on your calendar to check and possibly charge them.
Good idea on checking the charge. If you store the light at medium charge level and there is a parasitic draw, you may need to add charge occasionally to keep it from bottoming out.
Old 02-13-23, 11:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
... If you store the light at medium charge level and there is a parasitic draw, you may need to add charge occasionally to keep it from bottoming out.
Good point. Some devices have some draw that you only learn about the hard way.

I have two AAA lights that will discharge the batteries in less than half a year. I have to remember to store those empty or with an insulator on the end of one of the batteries. But you can't stick an insulator on the end of a Li Ion battery in a device that is a sealed unit.

I try to avoid buying anything with a Li Ion internal battery that can't be user replaced. My phone (five years old) is one of the few that actually has a user replaceable Li Ion battery, no tools needed to swap batteries in my phone. They are getting hard to find.