Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How would you get this seatpost removed?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How would you get this seatpost removed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 06:00 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
I have tried several methods to loosen things stuck on a bicycle frame. Some of the methods work some of the time.

Last year I watched a You-Tube video and saw the most successful method that I have seen.

Heat gun. Used for stripping paint and many other things. Available at hardware stores for about $50 US.

I have used the heat gun for seat posts, seized bolts, pedals stuck in cranks. I usually apply penetrating oil the day before. This has saved me lots of time and has less risk than some other methods.

I am surprised that no one else has seen this on You-tube.
Old 03-23-23, 06:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
I have tried several methods to loosen things stuck on a bicycle frame. Some of the methods work some of the time.

Last year I watched a You-Tube video and saw the most successful method that I have seen.

Heat gun. Used for stripping paint and many other things. Available at hardware stores for about $50 US.

I have used the heat gun for seat posts, seized bolts, pedals stuck in cranks. I usually apply penetrating oil the day before. This has saved me lots of time and has less risk than some other methods.

I am surprised that no one else has seen this on You-tube.
Heat will work especially well where a longer length of the post is bonded in, due to the lengthwise expansion of the aluminum inside of a steel or even titanium seat tube, which breaks the bond to either side of the center of the bonded length.
Penetrant applied as the post cools is likely to be better drawn in, especially where the bond has broken between the tube and the post. I've used this method on a few quill stems, which twisted out with relative ease after everything cooled fully.

I don't know how much heat it would take to degrade the paint or decals on the seat tube, but a heated stem doesn't seem to get the headtube all that hot the way that heat will travel between a post and a seat tube.
Old 03-23-23, 06:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Couldn't edit my above post to add the following:

Even without the differential thermal expansion, heat really softens the bonds of stuck metal parts like steel/steel cotter/cranks, allows cotter removal without bending the precious cotter.
Old 03-23-23, 09:43 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
the heat guns I own are H-O-T ! Even those with a "low" setting are significantly hotter than say a hairdryer on "high".
One thing they are made for is to remove paint, and they do, will scorch wood too so you have to develop the feel for where the limits are and be watchful.
Old 03-23-23, 11:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
After a good soak in PB-Blaster then use the freeze technique. Look it up on youtube. Freezing just might do the trick. You can use a brand name like Freeze Off ot just get a few cans of Air used for blowing out the grit on key boards. Just hold the can upside down to get the freezing liquid out (Usually Trifloro Ethane like).

Old 03-24-23, 07:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Muriatic acid dissolves aluminum.
It also eats thin steel. I had a steerer tube lose all of its threads and the steerer gain pits in the surface with that stuff.

-Kurt

Old 03-24-23, 08:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by cudak888
It also eats thin steel. I had a steerer tube lose all of its threads and the steerer gain pits in the surface with that stuff.

-Kurt
I was considering that muriatic acid has long been the recommended chemical for removing smeared aluminum from engine cylinder walls, so unless it's left to sit too long (how long, I can't say), surely no one was recommending something that would readily pit the iron cylinder wall (which would cause loss of compression).

But you bring up a good point, since it might take a while to burn through a seatpost, and the operator might not know how long was long enough.

So I will have update my earlier comment to add that I recommend only mechanical removal, no chemicals (since they don't seem to be needed).

The caustic chemicals have bodily hazards as well, fumes, spatter, blindness and no doubt possibly death if used haphazardly.
At least they're not flammable!