Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Vegan double toe straps?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Vegan double toe straps?

Old 08-09-09, 10:27 PM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoN
The only way I see for the earth to recover is banning all combustion, and banning farming of animals. Worldwide of course on both counts...
How do you ban a chemical reaction?
Old 08-09-09, 10:33 PM
dayvan cowboy

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a steak for dinner tonight. It was awesome.

Synthetic leather double straps stretch really fast and need to be replaced within 6 months. Good leather straps work great, but are expensive, and for the point of this thread, out of the question.

Go clipless. It's worth it.
Old 08-09-09, 10:43 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrooster
No. Take this from someone whose father has a Ph.D in biophysics and researches cures. This ain't one of them.

Maybe

Again, no. Chimps and apes, for the record, are omnivores.

No/maybe. I'll concede most cows used to produce milk probably don't live very happy lives.

You'll probably feel hungry, since most anthropologists will tell you that the reason we were able to leave the trees, while our ape-cousins were not, is because our sub-species discovered fire and implemented it to speed up the absorption of nutrients, thereby reducing the need for complex digestive tracts and redirecting the gained energy to our brains...

I can respect vegetarianism/veganism for moral arguments as a lover of animals, since my dad is one of those (vegetarian), but even he'll tell you that veganism for health reasons is a crock of crap.
-I'm sorry but most doctors are not even trained in nutrition (less than 10%). Nor do they focus or care about diet and nutrition as ways of bettering the body. They look for 'cures' and create new drugs to prescribe (very expensive, money making drugs at that). I think it's becoming more and more apparent that cancer and many of the diseases humans are coming down with are much to do with the way we live, the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe. There is much research showing the power of using diet and health as a way to reverse cancer and other ailments. The Gerson Institute has been doing this since the early 1900's, curing several cancers with something as simple as massive doses of Vitamin C! (why you ask these natural remedies have not been touted widely? well, they just aren't profitable!)

-Chimps/gorillas eat a diet mostly based on plants, with the exception of bugs and insects. It is highly debated whether humans were 'made' or have adapted to eat meat or not. Our digestive tract (or large intestine i'm not sure which) resembles that of herbivores (i believe around 12 ft)- longer so food can be digested and nutrients extracted. Carnivores on the other hand have a digestive tract of less than half that of herbivores, so the meat they consume can be quickly passed through the body without releasing toxins and bacteria into the body. The effects of humans eating meat is obvious- the food is not able to pass quickly like it should, thus doing the body more harm and consuming more energy to digest it.

-Although cooking makes it easier for us to digest some foods, almost if not all plant foods lose most nutrients when cooked. As far as being hungry goes, I questions your basic knowledge of food. Fruits and Vegetables are loaded with fiber (meat is fiber free), the stuff that makes you feel full and pushes the food through your digestive tract, scrubbing the walls of your intestines. There is a large movement of Vegan body builders whom exceed at muscle gain and strength, how about you ask them if they are ever hungry?

Anyone else who is seriously questioning the legitamcy of veganism or whether or not raising and consuming is a bad thing should really look into this. I suggest watching the 3 following documentaries/lectures:

Food Matters - https://btjunkie.org/torrent/Food-Mat...a68d453182155f

Earthlings - https://btjunkie.org/torrent/Earthlin...355ab79789b98e

Lecture by Mark Lyman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WSPU7w7EE
Lyman is extremely reputable when it comes to the meat industry and its effects on the world/humans. He was once a big time cattle rancher, and then the leading authority on the mad cow disease issue. He is now a strong vegan who gives talks about it and has written a great book.
Old 08-09-09, 10:50 PM
dayvan cowboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not that this has any bearing on this debate, but if you ask any biological anthropologist they'll tell you that if it wasn't for the introduction of meat into the human diet, humanity would not have been able to evolve to the point where it was capable of higher thinking.
Old 08-09-09, 11:01 PM
rrooster

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
-I'm sorry but most doctors are not even trained in nutrition (less than 10%). Nor do they focus or care about diet and nutrition as ways of bettering the body. They look for 'cures' and create new drugs to prescribe (very expensive, money making drugs at that). I think it's becoming more and more apparent that cancer and many of the diseases humans are coming down with are much to do with the way we live, the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe. There is much research showing the power of using diet and health as a way to reverse cancer and other ailments. The Gerson Institute has been doing this since the early 1900's, curing several cancers with something as simple as massive doses of Vitamin C! (why you ask these natural remedies have not been touted widely? well, they just aren't profitable!)

-Chimps/gorillas eat a diet mostly based on plants, with the exception of bugs and insects. It is highly debated whether humans were 'made' or have adapted to eat meat or not. Our digestive tract (or large intestine i'm not sure which) resembles that of herbivores (i believe around 12 ft)- longer so food can be digested and nutrients extracted. Carnivores on the other hand have a digestive tract of less than half that of herbivores, so the meat they consume can be quickly passed through the body without releasing toxins and bacteria into the body. The effects of humans eating meat is obvious- the food is not able to pass quickly like it should, thus doing the body more harm and consuming more energy to digest it.

-Although cooking makes it easier for us to digest some foods, almost if not all plant foods lose most nutrients when cooked. As far as being hungry goes, I questions your basic knowledge of food. Fruits and Vegetables are loaded with fiber (meat is fiber free), the stuff that makes you feel full and pushes the food through your digestive tract, scrubbing the walls of your intestines. There is a large movement of Vegan body builders whom exceed at muscle gain and strength, how about you ask them if they are ever hungry?

Anyone else who is seriously questioning the legitamcy of veganism or whether or not raising and consuming is a bad thing should really look into this. I suggest watching the 3 following documentaries/lectures:

Food Matters - https://btjunkie.org/torrent/Food-Mat...a68d453182155f

Earthlings - https://btjunkie.org/torrent/Earthlin...355ab79789b98e

Lecture by Mark Lyman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WSPU7w7EE
Lyman is extremely reputable when it comes to the meat industry and its effects on the world/humans. He was once a big time cattle rancher, and then the leading authority on the mad cow disease issue. He is now a strong vegan who gives talks about it and has written a great book.
I wrote out a long response, found a couple links that prove you wrong again, but then I realized... you're gonna keep ignoring the truth no matter what. I honestly have better things to do with my time. It's like jerking off but never reaching the end, ya know?
Old 08-09-09, 11:05 PM
dayvan cowboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on topic:

+
(yes its synthetic leather)

=much better than cheap doubles that will stretch and need replacing after a few months.
Old 08-09-09, 11:09 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
I wrote out a long response, found a couple links that prove you wrong again, but then I realized... you're gonna keep ignoring the truth no matter what. I honestly have better things to do with my time. It's like jerking off but never reaching the end, ya know?
No please, I am very interested on the subject and am interested in what you have to say. It's these types of conversations that really educate and improve one's knowledge. If you don't feel like posting it in this thread, shoot me a message. I'm very interested in the links you have found.
Old 08-09-09, 11:20 PM
rrooster

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No please, I am very interested on the subject and am interested in what you have to say. It's these types of conversations that really educate and improve one's knowledge. If you don't feel like posting it in this thread, shoot me a message. I'm very interested in the links you have found.
No, I really doubt you are. I think you want to keep the argument going, and will probably ignore anything I can find while reposting the links you already have that reconfirm your established point of view. I've done this dance before and I'm just not interested enough, sorry.
Old 08-09-09, 11:31 PM
RoboIsGod

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
No, I really doubt you are. I think you want to keep the argument going, and will probably ignore anything I can find while reposting the links you already have that reconfirm your established point of view. I've done this dance before and I'm just not interested enough, sorry.
I enjoy debating this subject and have seldom found hard facts that go against the things I believe, so any sort of information that does in fact prove me wrong is valuable to me. I am open to any new ideas or reasoning.
I understand if you'd rather not discuss this subject any further, but labeling me as self righteous and stubborn is uncalled for. I have posted links with information that defends my positions and I'd love to see some information you could provide me. Seriously just message me some links, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-09-09, 11:50 PM
cord13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skones MickLoud
How do you ban a chemical reaction?
i guess he would have to stop breathing, since respiration is a form of combustion.
Old 08-09-09, 11:59 PM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy debating this subject and have seldom found hard facts that go against the things I believe, so any sort of information that does in fact prove me wrong is valuable to me. I am open to any new ideas or reasoning.
I understand if you'd rather not discuss this subject any further, but labeling me as self righteous and stubborn is uncalled for. I have posted links with information that defends my positions and I'd love to see some information you could provide me. Seriously just message me some links, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Dude, you're so full of ****. You just said it isn't about being right/wrong, now you're saying you enjoy debating. The truth is you, just like every other opinionated vegan *******, believe that your belief/diet/lifestyle places you above everyone who doesn't hold to your standard, thereby entitling you to some self-righteous diatribe every time someone who doesn't agree with you. I'm certain that the food you eat/don't eat etc is a second in the list of reasons you made your lifestyle choice. Being a holier-than-though dickhead was probably the first.
Old 08-10-09, 12:04 AM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cord13
i guess he would have to stop breathing, since respiration is a form of combustion.
Not to mention that the bicycle he rides wouldn't be able to stay together without combustion...
Old 08-10-09, 02:18 AM
xsnakobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a vegan friend who didn't tell anyone he was vegan. I only found out because I asked about his vegetarianism because I was cooking for him.

The reason that most vegans feel the need to talk about it is because it is a life choice that cannot be observed at a glance like tattoos or a style of dress. There's this competitive drive in all of us that makes us want to say that we've done something others haven't, and veganism is one of those things.
I'm a vegetarian, I don't own a car (I don't even use public transportation if it can be avoided), and I try to keep processed foods as minimal in my diet as possible. Cooking spinach is no worse for me than raw spinach. Hot coffee isn't worse for me than cold-press.
Maybe everyone who's saying that it's not about who's wrong or right should hold their tongues lest reality smack them upside the head.
Old 08-10-09, 02:43 AM
rhag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vegan here, different strokes for different folks. I do it because its what I feel is the right thing to do. If you eat meat, go for it i would just hope that people who eat meat know where it comes from. I'm not talking about a styrafoam container either. If a person is fine with eating it after they understand where it came from, cool thats your choice and I made mine. I hope all vegan/vegetarian people aren't labeled as having a "holier than thou" attitude. There's going to be elitest types in all groups of people but as like many groups of people the majority are just doing what they feel is right for them.
Old 08-10-09, 03:05 AM
alexgate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been a vegetarian for 8 years, and was once a vegan, but how does this belong in bike forums? If you do not want a leather strap you could have said, "any one know of a non leather strap?" Instead you need to rub it in peoples face who do not care, and you will not convert that you are a vegan/vegetarian. You people are the reason people do not respect people like me. I am embarrassed most of the time to tell people I am vegetarian because the resentment people hold because people like peta. You should be doing it for yourself not others. Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-10-09, 03:51 AM
simplestyle

Bikes: Novara Safari

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhag
Vegan here, different strokes for different folks. I do it because its what I feel is the right thing to do. If you eat meat, go for it i would just hope that people who eat meat know where it comes from. I'm not talking about a styrafoam container either. If a person is fine with eating it after they understand where it came from, cool thats your choice and I made mine. I hope all vegan/vegetarian people aren't labeled as having a "holier than thou" attitude. There's going to be elitest types in all groups of people but as like many groups of people the majority are just doing what they feel is right for them.
I doubt that all vegans know where they're produce comes from. I know in some places it's easy to buy all organic, but in other places it's damn near impossible. Some places you can easily get produce form small, balanced farms, but for a lot of us it comes from large monocultures. What if you're in the North eating produce that has been grown in the South? There's problems with everything when you look at a FULL life cycle assessment. I mean... a lot of my produce is shipped from the US or AU. I don't even want to think about how much fuel is used to transport and refrigerate across an ocean. And the heat created in building that ship?! And the heat created from making all the raw materials for it?

If you want to get on a soap box it better be the one in your personal garden where you grow your own $hit.
Old 08-10-09, 04:06 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by time bandit
nylon and yes.
This was the first and only necessary response to the OP's queries.
But I suppose BF would not be nearly as fun if people didn't get so quarrelsome.
Old 08-10-09, 06:44 AM
bicycle
bike

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/5653

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internet fiiiightt!!!
Old 08-10-09, 07:24 AM
Negative Force
supervillain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take this from someone whose father has a Ph.D

I don't care about the debate, I just wanted to quote this for lols
Old 08-10-09, 07:29 AM
oldfixguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoN
I'd get more info if you are really interested in the proper diet for man as a species. It may mean life or death to you or someone you know. Raw/Vegan/Living food diets are curing lots of diseases... cancer, diabeties, etc. Your body has intelligent design and can cure, maintain, detox, and rejuvenate itself of most any problem, if it has the right building blocks to do it.

The horrible disease in our culture pretty much started when we all started eating cooked, processed, and packaged food.

Meat is only appropriate for carnivores... such as cats, dogs, some reptiles, etc.

Man's digestion is closest to fruit and leaf eaters like chimps and apes.

Milk is only appropriate for babies of the species its from. Cow milk is for baby cows. Human mother's milk is only appropriate for human babies, etc.

Keep an open mind... check it out for yourself. Go raw vegan for 30 days and see how you feel after you've detoxed.

For starters some info here...
https://www.living-foods.com/faq.html
https://www.living-foods.com/articles/
Oh boy, I could spend countless lines of forum space showing you exactly how wrong these statements are when applied to healthy people. But, I won't. I speak to the one topic I know intimately - diabetes. I am an hereditary, type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic and unless your vegan diet can resurrect a pancreas and fix a misguided immune system (it can't) then being a vegan can only be of value to type II diabetics who are that way due to obesity. It's actually a small percentage of the entire type II view. There are plenty of reasons type II diabetes creeps into peoples lives. Age is actually the biggest factor - our body's begin to wind down. There are those who suffer from under active pancreases. Diet is one but it's nothing close to the answer to all type II diabetes and as an anecdote it's worthless to type 1's.

If anyone has a deplorable diet then improving that will no doubt improve the health of the person. But, that makes becoming a vegan no more of a better choice than a diet with reasonable meat intake. It's a choice but it's not the only one nor is it the healthiest. There are essential vitamins and minerals we as humans require for top health that can be found no where else. Well, not exactly right - meat actually is very good at creating the proper metabolic environment for the absorption of certain nutrients but it's not the only place to get them. Obviously, it's a modern world and supplements exist but by very definition your chosen dietary habits leave something to be desired. You are in the majority. Most of us poison or under nourish ourselves to one degree or another.

Please enjoy your chosen lifestyle. You are harming no one and I wish you well. But, my eyes are in the front of my head for a reason. I'm a hunter by nature and intended to eat meat (within reason).
Old 08-10-09, 08:24 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went vegetarian this year for lent. It was alright. Still ate my cereal with skim milk and wasn't worried about gelatin or anything.

I met a vegan once who wouldn't drink wine because some wines are sometimes processed with some kind of fish oil or something. I thought he was ****ing ridiculous.
Old 08-10-09, 08:32 AM
Zachee
DRUNKDRIVER

Bikes: Kilo TT custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an extremely interesting and productive conversation about single speed and fixed gear bikes. Please continue.
Old 08-10-09, 08:42 AM
allez
means go

Bikes: '06 Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two cows are covered in oil and set aflame for every Time ATAC pedal made. So clipless is clearly out of the question.
Old 08-10-09, 08:45 AM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-10-09, 08:58 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride
Just because you CAN eat meat doesn't mean you SHOULD eat meat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.