Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Box O' Crap, Series Nine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Box O' Crap, Series Nine

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 10:53 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Having recently perused the Box O' Crap, I can tell you that there is much in there that would be suitable for a Huffy (so not useful for your project). Not much in there would pair well with Super Record.
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Andy, and AMCO,
You are right right about not much for the Super Record build in the BOC but I have stepped forward as CrapMaster to offer a bit of help to AMCO on his build by using my collection of Campy parts to supply some of what he cannot get for the build.
In the hope for players to step up, at this time it seems there are no volunteers to play our game. When I stepped forward to become CrapMaster, I consulted with multiple CrapMaster Emeriti to be sure that I could do the job as they would be doing it. It seems however that the number of players are cyclical in nature and sign on to play sporadically. When I started this thread, I held the Exalted Box O' Crap until we could find twelve players that would sign up. I feel that it must be done again due to no persons willing to sign up to play.
I did have one participant that suggested that the list be re-instated when the players have been deleted, but I have always felt that it should just be something a forum member decides to do and not have to face a recurring BOC visit regularly. So, yes Andy and all Crap-A Teers the box will now be placed on ice until we have another twelve players to sign up to play our game. If we cannot get twelve players to sign on the BOC Series nine will end, and we shall wait for a new CrapMaster to be elected and we will have to wait for white smoke to occur for Series Ten to begin. I now place it in the hands of our forum members to make the decision about moving forward. However the box is now on it's way back to me for the "hold" on the game to begin.
If our players wish to have me stop the hold I will need to see a few names show up in my in box to continue the series nine list of players. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk

I appreciate this information. Because we are trying to keep the Huffy build ultra high-class, with a select touch of blue-collar charm, I will humbly stay on the sidelines for now, yet admiring the spirit of those participants, both their good nature and their dedication to keep things moving efficiently. Hat's off to all of you.
Old 03-14-23, 03:07 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Today the BOC landed at my shop. It has not been unpacked, but will go into cold storage (or "Clod" storage for noglider ) for a while waiting for more players to step up to receive the Exalted Box O' Crap. When the list gets to twelve players we will retrieve it from storage, refresh it and send it back on its journey through the Forum members to deliver more crap to all who participate. Pictures:

The box as received today.

The next home of the BOC. A climate controlled storage facility in my car port. It should feel right at home amongst the new friends in colorful cans and dark shaded bottles. It may even encounter Hondo trying to get at the new friends while he is smoking some chicken.
Once again asking for players to sign up. The BOC is likely going to want to be rescued from a cold dark place soon... Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-24-23, 05:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Time to refresh the thread to keep it top of mind. Always looking for new players to sign up to play. Box O' Crap is like having a swap shop delivered to your door with out the costs of going to a real event in your community. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-30-23 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 08:03 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Posting to boost the count, so that I may soon be worthy to bathe in the contribution and retribution of the almighty BOC.
Old 03-30-23, 06:55 PM
Mad Honk 

Time to refresh the thread to keep it top of mind. Always looking for new players to sign up to play. Box O' Crap is like having a swap shop delivered to your door with out the costs of going to a real event in your community. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Time to once again ask for players to step up and join in the fun. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 03-30-23, 07:49 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Just to keep this going, please add me back to the list, although I’d prefer further down the line since I was the last player.
Old 04-03-23, 05:01 PM
Mad Honk 

panzerwagon it has been done. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 04-10-23, 05:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Today the War Department delivered a mini BOC to my desk. I was of course getting ready to go to DePauw for coaching work so It has waited until now for me to open it.

The box as received.

The contents of the mini BOC. Some semi-borked parts for Dave's huffy build.

I have spent about an hour chasing threads and repairing the damage from a drillium treatment to the parts. The Mini BOC shall be sent back to the originator with the parts repaired and again ready for use. So once again players needed to sign up to play the BOC game. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-16-23, 08:36 PM
Mad Honk 

Well folks,
It appears that the postal service is going to have to raise the rates for the shipping of the Box O' Crap this coming July. When I do find out the new cost, I will revise the information on the first page of this thread to reflect the new cost to play the game. I am hopeful that the rate will not be prohibitive for any player to be possible to participate. I am once again asking for players to sign up as the BOC will soon be being updated and ready to move forward once again. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 04-16-23, 09:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Old 04-25-23, 06:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Well Bernie didn't help things. So once again asking for players to step forward to have a grab bag of parts delivered to your front door. Please see the first post of this thread for information as to how it all works. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk

Last edited by Mad Honk; 04-25-23 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-23, 07:20 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Well folks,
It appears that the postal service is going to have to raise the rates for the shipping of the Box O' Crap this coming July.
I don't know what the rate is going to be starting in July, but checking the rate on pirateship.com for a USPS Large Flat Rate Box, I get a retail price of $22.80 and a Pirate Ship price of $18.95.
Old 04-28-23, 07:59 PM
Mad Honk 

Well Skip,
The cost may affect the participation rate in this game. But we have had a great time with the way the box moves around and the players find rewards within it's confines. Even if the rates go up a bit, the parts removed every stop is still far above the rates of shipping. Plus there is always the mystique of what might be in the box when it arrives. If the thread dies during this go round I suspect it swill be revived at some point in time. But I can not find a way to understand why we don't have more players signing up. I think every player has added value to the Box O' Crap when it visits their place. I am still hopeful that we will get new or renewed players to sign up to play. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 04-29-23, 09:33 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Put me in after either nlerner or swimmermike.
Old 04-29-23, 03:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think everybody is waiting for @nlerner to sign up. Maybe the rest of us need to up our game and not take the "crap" part of this so seriously.
Old 04-29-23, 04:13 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think everybody is waiting for @nlerner to sign up. Maybe the rest of us need to up our game and not take the "crap" part of this so seriously.
Well, I think someone should convince @non-fixie to sign up, given his recent haul of vintage goods. Shipping to and from the Netherlands might be prohibitive, however.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-29-23, 06:05 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, I think someone should convince @non-fixie to sign up, given his recent haul of vintage goods. Shipping to and from the Netherlands might be prohibitive, however.
Probably cheaper to fly him over for a visit.
Old 05-04-23, 07:35 PM
Mad Honk 

If we have to change the name of the game to Box O' Campy parts, it won't quite have the same ring coming off the tongue, and even then there might be detractors from the Shimano camp. For the time being we shall stay the course, and ask for more players to step up to participate. I will try to retrieve the Box from cold storage within the next week and do a complete refresh of the contents if needed. But please sign up to play. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-05-23, 03:01 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
Todd Toss my name back in the hopper, Mad Honk.

Last edited by smontanaro; 05-09-23 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Dang autocorrect!
Old 05-09-23, 03:10 PM
Mad Honk 

Skip,
You are back on the list. I suspect there may be bit of shuffling done before the BOC hits the road again, to prevent overly frequent stays at a few shops. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-13-23, 01:23 PM
Mad Honk 

Well folks I am again asking for players to step forward, with a twist. Ever notice how after you placed an item in the BOC about six months later you find a need for just that item. Well it has happened again. A previous player put a stem in and now finds a need for one like it. So here is what I have for Nwvlvtnr who finds himself in this predicament. I have this stem and here are a few pictures:

This is a SR stem from my stash of parts note the size is 60 reach. The length from the max ht. to top is 6.5"

This is the stem diameter as stamped on the stem .865" or 22mm.
I trust this will work for your project. CrapMaster Honk

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-14-23 at 01:31 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-15-23, 08:49 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I've been dreaming of receiving a box of crap in the mail for years, and now I've finally got 150 posts. Sign me up!
Old 05-15-23, 11:03 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 188 Posts
Maybe the Box O’ Crampy

If we have to change the name of the game to Box O' Campy parts, it won't quite have the same ring coming off the tongue, and even then there might be detractors from the Shimano camp. For the time being we shall stay the course, and ask for more players to step up to participate. I will try to retrieve the Box from cold storage within the next week and do a complete refresh of the contents if needed. But please sign up to play. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Given the abundance of 42 tooth inner rings and corn cob freewheels floating around in our world.
Old 05-15-23, 07:44 PM
Mad Honk 

eeuuugh,
You have been added to the list on the first page. We only need a few more members to step up and the exalted BOC will resume it's journey across the country. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Old 05-15-23, 08:48 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Where it started...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...und-robin.html

and does anyone have one to ad?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...cker-bike.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.