Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 center-pull brakes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-22, 09:21 PM
Muffins

Bikes: Buncha 80's road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 35 Posts

Hi friends, a week ago I bought an '83 Lotus Classique from its original owner, supposedly it had been sitting in an attic for a few decades. It's gorgeous but needs some work.
Anyhow, the seller mentioned that he had asked the dealership to forgo the stock shimano 600 arabesque side-pull brakes, and instead had a set of Shimano 600 AX center-pull brakes installed. The levers are also "aero" style which I don't think was the norm at the time.

So, as a novice to this hobby, what is the advantage of this braking system? Would I be able to fit wider tires than with side-pulls? Also, I've seen a couple examples for sale on eBay for $200- are people actually paying that kind of money for these, or are those ebay vendors off their rocker?
Old 10-23-22, 07:20 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffins
Hi friends, a week ago I bought an '83 Lotus Classique from its original owner, supposedly it had been sitting in an attic for a few decades. It's gorgeous but needs some work.
Anyhow, the seller mentioned that he had asked the dealership to forgo the stock shimano 600 arabesque side-pull brakes, and instead had a set of Shimano 600 AX center-pull brakes installed. The levers are also "aero" style which I don't think was the norm at the time.

So, as a novice to this hobby, what is the advantage of this braking system? Would I be able to fit wider tires than with side-pulls? Also, I've seen a couple examples for sale on eBay for $200- are people actually paying that kind of money for these, or are those ebay vendors off their rocker?
Good Morning and welcome to the forums.

these brakes? The whole group was supposed to aero dynamic or something. Some people love them a lot don’t. I’d remove them and put some 600 EX (side pulls) on the bike.

you need to look at sold listings on eBay to get an actual value.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-23-22, 07:55 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I have the Dura Ace AX versions on my '83 Lotus Super Pro Aero. I believe the 600 AX are the same, size-wise, and just lack the better finish and some other bits which make the DA version ever so slightly less heavy.

While I've read that some have found the braking to be less than adequate, that has not been my experience--- but--- I live and ride in a flat seacoast area, so YMMV and my braking needs could be significantly less than yours.

I'm running two different sets of wheels on my Lotus. The picture above is with 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speed tires. Below it is wearing the wheelset and the tires are Vittoria 25mm Rallys. As you can see, there's little room to spare. While I've not tried, I don't believe Schwalbe One 28mm tubular tires would fit.

Kool Stop does/did make replacement brake pads. That's what I'm running. Kool Stop bicycle brake blocks pads refill Shimano AX Adamas - SALMON

Finally, finding hoods for the AX aero brake levers is very costly. Other models don't fit well. You will notice above mine are made from thick goatskin leather. I made them along with the bar sleeves.

We look forward to seeing pictures of your Lotus Classique.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-23-22, 08:10 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Aero brake levers are vintage correct for these calipers. My recollection from my Dura-Ace set is that there is not a lot of clearance. Most equivalent reach side-pull calipers will provide greater lateral tyre clearance. The pad height adjustment is achieved by raising or lowering the whole caliper via a oblong hole for the mounting bolt, which reduces vertical clearance at longer reach settings. Braking performance was mediocre but that's primarily due to the small pad surface area. The brake pads themselves are dedicated to the AX series, as the holders are integral with the arms. I'm not sure that are any existing pads that are drop-in replacements. Back in the day, we used to carve our own from bigger pads, to get better stopping power. On the plus side they're relatively light and, in my opinion, are little pieces of jewellery. Personally, I prefer them over Campagnolo Delta or any of the other centre-pull, aero designs.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-23-22, 10:58 PM
Muffins

Alright, I guess I'll stick with them for now, at least until I find time to see how they hold up to some hills. The fact that pads and brake hoods are hard to find kinda sucks, mine appear to be 40 years old and should probably be replaced...
Old 10-23-22, 11:04 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Keep them; they are weird and unusual. Dunno about sourcing fresh brake pads for something like that?

Being able to stop is overrated anyway. Just ask anyone who rides a brakeless fixie.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 10-23-22, 11:18 PM
Muffins

And Pastorbob that bike is really cool
Likes For Muffins:
Old 10-24-22, 03:16 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,124 Times in 1,966 Posts
I just checked sold item prices for them. $49.99, $75 and an unknown number from a $200 ask. So I am going to guess the calipers and levers together are worth just shy of $100?

Pastor Bob can likely tell you whether or not to descend a mountain via his experience with the repadded DA version.

if you want larger clearance, the Shimano Tourney/DuraAce centerpulls are fine choices.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc: