Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Tommasini Lounge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Tommasini Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 01:02 PM
roadrunner2012
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Discussed to death years ago here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-Italian-Bike
Old 04-14-12, 01:49 PM
roadrunner2012
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, do you? This was the post referenced: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14037783

I will excuse your poor English, and just place you on ignore. I can see why you were kicked off the Italian forum.
Old 04-14-12, 03:26 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok enough of this please. Back on track...

Does any one else have any catalog scans, etc.? Of course more bike pics too!

Old 04-14-12, 03:35 PM
roadrunner2012
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone know when Tommasini started using Tommasini dropouts, as opposed to Campagnolo?
Old 04-16-12, 04:06 PM
johnnyletrois

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CC_Tommasini_1.jpg (96.3 KB, 1751 views)
tommasini.jpg (104.9 KB, 1755 views)
Old 04-23-12, 02:32 PM
Fourthgrace

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno EL OS, Pinarello Banesto Team Bike Oria ML45, Stephen Roche Cork EL OS Bio-Racer, Le Monde Chambery, Grandis Campione del Monde, Grandis Superleggera, Joe Waugh 753, Rourke MODUCEL 753

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Love that colour scheme!
Old 04-24-12, 09:36 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's official, I've earned my membership into the Tommasini Lounge.

I've lusted after Tommasinis since I joined this forum and now I finally have one to call my own. It's a hair too big, the paint isn't great and I'm trying to sell stuff to downsize...but I couldn't pass it up and I'm very excited to have it. It's a product of the 'frame doesn't fit' thread. No tubing decal and I can't see any rifling so I'm assuming SL? Fully chromed. No chainstay bridge and "air" panto'd just under the fork crown. Columbus dove stamped on the steerer.

I need to decide on a build though. I have to keep this build very cheap since I really have too many 'racing' bikes as it is.

Option 1: 8s Campy with Mavic Cosmic tubular wheels...need to find some tubular tires and I'm not stoked about using the Mirage shifters and Avanti RD I have...
Option 2: Single speed with *gasp* flat bars...I have all the parts on hand.

Here are some terrible pictures.

Old 04-24-12, 09:48 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
I've lusted after Tommasinis since I joined this forum and now I finally have one to call my own. It's a hair too big, the paint isn't great and I'm trying to sell stuff to downsize...but I couldn't pass it up and I'm very excited to have it. It's a product of the 'frame doesn't fit' thread. No tubing decal and I can't see any rifling so I'm assuming SL? Fully chromed. No chainstay bridge and "air" panto'd just under the fork crown. Columbus dove stamped on the steerer.

I need to decide on a build though. I have to keep this build very cheap since I really have too many 'racing' bikes as it is.

Option 1: 8s Campy with Mavic Cosmic tubular wheels...need to find some tubular tires and I'm not stoked about using the Mirage shifters and Avanti RD I have...
Option 2: Single speed with *gasp* flat bars...I have all the parts on hand.

Here are some terrible pictures.

Congrats!

Nice frameset.

I didn't spontaneously combust when I set up my Casati as a single speed.

Works great to be honest.
Old 04-24-12, 11:07 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Beauty of a frame! You're going to love the ride, I guarantee it! Congratulations!Flash
Old 04-30-12, 06:39 PM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Tommasini Air Prestige

I picked up this Tommasini frame recently. Not clean like most of the others in the T Lounge, but different none the less. It is an Air Prestige. It has Aero tubing (Nivachrome?) and a smokey glaze over parts of the full chromed frame. Can anyone tell more about the frame, painting process, etc? I've looked at several different sites and haven't seen another Tommasini with this type of tubing.
Attached Images
DSC05484.jpg (102.4 KB, 1739 views)
DSC05486.jpg (99.9 KB, 1718 views)
DSC05487.jpg (103.5 KB, 1715 views)
Old 05-07-12, 03:22 AM
Fourthgrace

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno EL OS, Pinarello Banesto Team Bike Oria ML45, Stephen Roche Cork EL OS Bio-Racer, Le Monde Chambery, Grandis Campione del Monde, Grandis Superleggera, Joe Waugh 753, Rourke MODUCEL 753

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Do a search on "cromovelato".

However the tinge of blue inside the seat tube suggests to me that this more likely an aftermarket respray, having stripped the original paintwork. Do the decals look like a recent addition (better condition than the frame?).
Old 05-07-12, 05:22 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner2012
This thread seems to indicate what is indeed the truth - Tommasini did indeed use the name "Thomas" (not "Tomas") for some of his bikes. I've seen a number of examples, and came close to purchasing one or two.

not even really much room for debate, given the graphics: https://www.bdc-forum.it/showthread.p...11714&langid=1
Old 05-07-12, 03:14 PM
roadrunner2012
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
This thread seems to indicate what is indeed the truth - Tommasini did indeed use the name "Thomas" (not "Tomas") for some of his bikes. I've seen a number of examples, and came close to purchasing one or two.

not even really much room for debate, given the graphics: https://www.bdc-forum.it/showthread.p...11714&langid=1
'zactley.
Old 05-07-12, 03:45 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner2012
'zactley.
However, rumors that he pruduced a model under the "Thomas" label called "The Tank Engine" are surely spurious.
Old 06-11-12, 06:02 AM
mrjav
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just found this thread and wanted to point out a couple of Tommasini posts on my blog. I also have a BUNCH of catalogs and brochures that I'll eventually get around to posting...

https://rorymasini.blogspot.com/search/label/Tommasini
Old 06-11-12, 06:45 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Tommasini Super Prestige SLX advertisment that appeared in Cycling Weekly Magazine on November 24, 1988:

Old 06-11-12, 05:46 PM
gomango

Details later tonight!

Old 06-11-12, 06:15 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SANTE POLLASTRI
sir,I'M INSIDE IN ALL THE FORA WHERE I'M LOGGED.
HEREhttps://www.bdc-forum.it/album.php?u=37096 you CAN SEE MY TOMMASINI TECNOEXTRA SHIMANO 25TH WITH TOMMASINI DROPOUTS,1999.
GOOD WATCH,AHAHAHA!!

Uhhhhh, WAT?!
Old 06-12-12, 09:55 AM
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How in the world did I miss the Tommasini Lounge? See what happens when you're away from C/V on Bike Forums for a little while, dang! First off let me say everyone's Tommasini's look awesome! There is nothing like seeing these bikes in all their Italian goodness!
My Tommasini is a Velocista made with Columbus MAX tubing. I found out about Velocistas while looking for MAX tubed bikes. I was thinking I would get an Merckx MXL but I never found "the" bike. I started looking for other MAX tubed bikes and ran across the Velocista. I knew that Tommasinis were great bikes and I thought one with MAX tubing would be that cat's ass for someone 6'3" and on the 200+ LBS size. One problem with getting a Velocista, they only made 100 of them. So there's a slight kink in my plans in finding one, LOL. But I always did a search on Ebay and Criagslist with the hopes of finding one. On one magical day I was doing my normal searches and up pops a Velocista on the Madison Wi. Craigslist. I thought no way. It has to be one the new carbon Velocistas, so I clicked the link with the pictures and there is was in all it's MAX lugged glory. The final star alined when it was my size also. I emailed the owner and told him I wanted it and could he ship it? He said he didn't want to go to the trouble so I told him I would fly to Madison if he could bring it to the airport. I mean what good is working for the airlines unless you can fly around the country to pick up bikes, LOL. Well after some more back and forth he did eventually ship the bike to me and after several days and a few sleepless night worrying about UPS smashing my baby into twisted ball of tubes, I got her safe and sound.
This is the most incredible bike I have ever ridden. I mean she is smooth just clipping along but the amazing part is when I stomp on the pedals the power (what little I have) goes right to the road, I mean zero flex. And this bike loves to go fast. If you get her screaming down a hill, she tracks as if on rails. Sometimes her need for speed is bad, like if I'm trying to do a recovery ride. she starts whispering, in Italian of course, piu veloce, piu veloce, so much for a recovery ride. Anyway I've been rambling on, but if a can't wane about my Tommasini here, where can I? LOL. I only have a few pictures for today. I'm in the middle of replacing the black cables for white. Just as soon as I have this done I will post some better pictures. Anyway thanks for listening to my story, and now here is my girl.I know non-drive side. It's Campy Chorus 8 spd Erogos<br><br><br>

Last edited by Muttleyone; 06-12-12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 10:05 AM
Hoshnasi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a complete noob to Tommasini bikes. Are these frames available in a secondary market? Are they stupid expensive? Most of these builds are rediculously impressive. What kind of money are we talking abou here on some of these builds?

Edit to add: A cursory eBay search has indeed verfied these frames are stupid money... Similar to imported keirin frames.

Last edited by Hoshnasi; 06-12-12 at 10:08 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 06-12-12, 10:31 AM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Muttleyone
How in the world did I miss the Tommasini Lounge? See what happens when you're away from C/V on Bike Forums for a little while, dang! First off let me say everyone's Tommasini's look awesome! There is nothing like seeing these bikes in all their Italian goodness!
My Tommasini is a Velocista made with Columbus MAX tubing. I found out about Velocistas while looking for MAX tubed bikes. I was thinking I would get an Merckx MXL but I never found "the" bike. I started looking for other MAX tubed bikes and ran across the Velocista. I knew that Tommasinis were great bikes and I thought one with MAX tubing would be that cat's ass for someone 6'3" and on the 200+ LBS size. One problem with getting a Velocista, they only made 100 of them. So there's a slight kink in my plans in finding one, LOL. But I always did a search on Ebay and Criagslist with the hopes of finding one. On one magical day I was doing my normal searches and up pops a Velocista on the Madison Wi. Craigslist. I thought no way. It has to be one the new carbon Velocistas, so I clicked the link with the pictures and there is was in all it's MAX lugged glory. The final star alined when it was my size also. I emailed the owner and told him I wanted it and could he ship it? He said he didn't want to go to the trouble so I told him I would fly to Madison if he could bring it to the airport. I mean what good is working for the airlines unless you can fly around the country to pick up bikes, LOL. Well after some more back and forth he did eventually ship the bike to me and after several days and a few sleepless night worrying about UPS smashing my baby into twisted ball of tubes, I got her safe and sound.
This is the most incredible bike I have ever ridden. I mean she is smooth just clipping along but the amazing part is when I stomp on the pedals the power (what little I have) goes right to the road, I mean zero flex. And this bike loves to go fast. If you get her screaming down a hill, she tracks as if on rails. Sometimes her need for speed is bad, like if I'm trying to do a recovery ride. she starts whispering, in Italian of course, piu veloce, piu veloce, so much for a recovery ride. Anyway I've been rambling on, but if a can't wane about my Tommasini here, where can I? LOL. I only have a few pictures for today. I'm in the middle of replacing the black cables for white. Just as soon as I have this done I will post some better pictures. Anyway thanks for listening to my story, and now here is my girl
One of my favorite all time bikes. I'm looking for one in 53/54...any idea how many of those are kicking around, if any?
Old 06-12-12, 10:32 AM
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi
I'm a complete noob to Tommasini bikes. Are these frames available in a secondary market? Are they stupid expensive? Most of these builds are rediculously impressive. What kind of money are we talking abou here on some of these builds?

Edit to add: A cursory eBay search has indeed verfied these frames are stupid money... Similar to imported keirin frames.
Stupid is as stupid does! Sorry I had to do it. When you look at other Italian bike of the same caliber Tommasinis are actually less expensive. Right now there are some frames that are way, way overpriced. Go look at completed auctions and you will get a better feel for their prices. I bought my Velocista for almost half of what a Merckx MXL could be bought for.

Mutt
Old 06-12-12, 10:36 AM
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
One of my favorite all time bikes. I'm looking for one in 53/54...any idea how many of those are kicking around, if any?
I'm not sure in your size. After I got mine I have seen 2 come up for sale, and that's been in a period over two years. One was a 60cm like mine. The other was smaller, maybe a 56cm but I can't remember for sure. All I can say is keep looking. Trust me it will be worth every minute you have waited and spent searching for it. They are rare as hens teeth but don't give up. Good luck in your search my friend!

Mutt
Old 06-12-12, 10:44 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Hoshnasi

Let's put it this way.

I sold a very nice Trek 720 for more this spring than I paid for my two Tommasinis put together!

Fairly affordable fun the way I see it.
Old 06-12-12, 10:49 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Muttleyone
I'm not sure in your size. After I got mine I have seen 2 come up for sale, and that's been in a period over two years. One was a 60cm like mine. The other was smaller, maybe a 56cm but I can't remember for sure. All I can say is keep looking. Trust me it will be worth every minute you have waited and spent searching for it. They are rare as hens teeth but don't give up. Good luck in your search my friend!

Mutt

Hey Mutt,

I'll try to get pics for you, but the fellow that bought my MX-Leader frameset also has a Max framed Velocista.

Definitely a Max tubeset obsession!

His is red, yellow and orange.

Leads me to believe these were special order colors.

Yours is amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.