Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Measuring 9 Speed Movements

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Measuring 9 Speed Movements

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 02:59 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
More mods and better measurement recording- I made a dial indicator clamp and set up for the lever/cable measurements. (While a lathe is a beautiful thing a mill is pretty cool too). The measurements are now far more reliable and "stupid free" (not completely but far nicer than making each shift cable movement with a hand held caliper). A couple of immediate observations. I had concerns about the block that is clamped to the cable causing droop in the cable which might add noise to the measurements. The dial holding clamp's V groove bottom (it's crotch) slightly touches the cable and adds some support/stability to the cable. I reversed the dial's pointer direction so its spring is, like the der dial pointer's spring, helps to overcome cable friction in the upshifting direction.

I recorded the Shimano Tiagra lever and Deore der on the charts I drew up. These charts are still a work in progress but are nicer to use and also help me keep track of the various steps to get a full range recorded. Nore that the numbers vary by very little per shift. Both at the lever/cable end and the der end. I only did two series, time and the very consistent results had me not bother with a third run. I'll get around to doing the rest of the math later but since it's not a Shimano lever I am wanting to work with this follow up isn't too important. I am impressed with how little scatter there is for the two series of measurements. Only a few thousandths of an inch most of the time between the two runs. It remains to be seen how the Campy lever measures up. I am rather happy with this at this point.

Next will be measuring a bunch of lever/der/Shiftmates. What might be called the boring part of a project. Andy

That's brilliant! I made a cable pull measuring tool years ago, but it does not work on the bike. The purpose of my tool was to compare cable pull ratios of various IGH shifters to determine cross compatibility or lack thereof.
It kind of works, and is generally repeatable to within a couple of decimal points, but I wonder if the ramping of spring tension may affect the pull as the spring is tensioned. That's something I always meant to do further testing on, but never got a round tuit. Maybe a winter project one of these years.
Which kind of raises the question, how the heck do you find time to play around with this stuff now in the height of cycling season??
Old 08-15-22, 06:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Dan- I only work for $ 1 day a week and am happy with 150 miles a week. My real issue with riding season is where my mind goes while on the bike. I seem to come home with new projects or mods to old ones Andy
Old 08-19-22, 06:09 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
So based on the graph in post 23, The delta between bllue and red terminations are defined by the limit screws.
Does this lead to a statement that the limit screws could be adjusted to be closer to the average change in pull between gears?

If so, the large sprocket limit screw could be adjusted to increase the distance from the spokes. Don't really care about the other end.
Old 08-19-22, 05:57 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have nothing to add here, but appreciation for the topic and encouragement to those participating. This is the essence of what a forum like this should be -- enthusiasts helping enthusiasts learn and understand the craft, without pretense or expectation of recompense or favor. Bravo to all!