Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can't pair Angi with Wahoo

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-06-22, 07:43 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 227 Posts

I recently bought a Specialized Angi crash detecting sensor and am having problems.

Wahoo Elemnt is paired to compainion app.
Angi sensor is paired to Specialized Ride app.

But I can't link the Specialized app with my Wahoo. Everything is updated to the latest version. Bluetooth is on. But "Wahoo not found" is as far as I get.

Any ideas?
Old 10-06-22, 08:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
I only used the Angi on my newer Spec'd helmet a few times before removing the little unit and tossing it in a drawer, because I didn't really see a benefit. (Not saying that there's no benefit for you.) But from what I recall, you don't connect it to your computer -- it's free-standing. The Angi unit connects to its companion app (on your phone) and uses your phone to send a message to your emergency contact if it detects a crash -- it's got no connection to your cycle computer. At least, that's my recollection.
Old 10-07-22, 06:31 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Well, I hope I never need it!

It is supposed to connect to your Wahoo unit. You can cancel alerts from there without having to fumble for your phone. But I can't seem to get it to pair. But, it should still function through my cell phone.
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-07-22, 07:04 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Contact wahoo. They have been helpful for such inquiries.
Old 10-07-22, 07:21 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Troul
Contact wahoo. They have been helpful for such inquiries.
I have requests to both Specialized and Wahoo as I am not sure whose problem it is.
Old 10-07-22, 07:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
It is supposed to connect to your Wahoo unit. You can cancel alerts from there without having to fumble for your phone. But I can't seem to get it to pair. But, it should still function through my cell phone.
Come to think of it, I tried the Angi when I had a different (older) computer, so I was not aware that it would connect to a head unit.

I have requests to both Specialized and Wahoo as I am not sure whose problem it is.
Prediction: each will blame the other's app.
Old 10-07-22, 08:31 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
do you have the gen 1 wahoo? If so, that is likely the incompatible device. The 1st gen has very little compatibility with the newer accessories based on what I've found.
Old 10-07-22, 10:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I have my Angi paired with Specialized's Ride App on my phone.

I actually wasn't aware it could be paired with a Wahoo, Garmin or other device, if in fact it even can be. There doesn't really seem to be a need for that since the alert goes out through your phone.

What benefit are you thinking you'll get having it paired to your Wahoo? You'll probably find that RideWithGPS, Garmin Connect or Strava gives a better review of your metrics after a ride than what Specialized does.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-07-22 at 10:08 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-07-22, 10:06 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Troul
do you have the gen 1 wahoo? If so, that is likely the incompatible device. The 1st gen has very little compatibility with the newer accessories based on what I've found.
Yea, I think it's Gen 1. Wahoo Elemnt, black and white.

It will still work, AFAIK on the phone app, I will just have to cancel notifications there if I crash.
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-07-22, 01:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yea, I think it's Gen 1. Wahoo Elemnt, black and white.

It will still work, AFAIK on the phone app, I will just have to cancel notifications there if I crash.
You mean if you crash and don't require assistance right? Though what you think and what your actual condition is might be two different things. The two people that found me seemed to indicate that I seemed lucid and was walking around. Though they were both doctors and knew I had all the signs of a severe concussion. None of which I have any recollection of.

The only time I've had a false alert from Angi is when I dropped my helmet once in the over two years I've had Angi. With my Garmin's incident detection, I've had about a dozen maybe more in the last two years. Usually a four lane highway intersection where I cross very rapidly when getting the green light and then sometimes have to come to an abrupt halt on the other side.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-07-22, 05:11 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
This option must be pretty new as I didn't see it when I set my Angi up awhile back. I just did the Wahoo set up and it works fine it appears.

Your Bolt may be to old (I have a V2) or the firmware could be too old or some other problem could have arisen.

All this synch stuff is quite glitchy, I am always surprised when it actually works.
Old 10-09-22, 07:14 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
This option must be pretty new as I didn't see it when I set my Angi up awhile back. I just did the Wahoo set up and it works fine it appears.

Your Bolt may be to old (I have a V2) or the firmware could be too old or some other problem could have arisen.

All this synch stuff is quite glitchy, I am always surprised when it actually works.
My experience with my phone and PC is that tech seems to always say delete this, delete that, reset something else....and it never works. "Clear your cache and let me know in a few days," seems to be the tech support mantra. That never does anything but make me set up everything again. If you don't know, just say so and I can accept that.

Going out of town, so I will try again in a few days.
Old 10-09-22, 09:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

My experience with my phone and PC is that tech seems to always say delete this, delete that, reset something else....and it never works. "Clear your cache and let me know in a few days," seems to be the tech support mantra. That never does anything but make me set up everything again. If you don't know, just say so and I can accept that.

Going out of town, so I will try again in a few days.
Do it anyway. While rare, I find that once in a blue moon it actually does solve an issue. Though I'd agree that more often than not it does nothing. Also on my phone, I've found a few problems that were not resolved by simply telling the phone to restart, but they were resolved by telling the phone to shut down completely and then starting it back up.

So don't just ignore that suggestion from the help desks. Do it and see. Then tell them it didn't work so they can move on to the next step of many different possibilities.
Old 10-09-22, 10:17 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I tried it out on a ride yesterday and got a bunch of could not connect error messages. The thing requires a three way synch of angi phone and bolt which makes it very complex and prone to glitching.. or so it appears.

I’ll fiddle with it a bit and give up if I can’t get it to start working again. It did work fine in the first test I did so it works in principle anyway.
Old 10-14-22, 08:39 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Iride01
Do it anyway. While rare, I find that once in a blue moon it actually does solve an issue. Though I'd agree that more often than not it does nothing. Also on my phone, I've found a few problems that were not resolved by simply telling the phone to restart, but they were resolved by telling the phone to shut down completely and then starting it back up.

So don't just ignore that suggestion from the help desks. Do it and see. Then tell them it didn't work so they can move on to the next step of many different possibilities.
Wahoo said to do a factory reset.
Specialized said to uninstall/reinstall the app.
I did all of that and also rebooted my phone.

None of that worked.

Fortunately, I am back to where I was, so everything that worked before, works now. I changed the setting to allow 60 seconds (instead of the default 30) to cancel the warning. That should give me time to fish out my phone and respond. If it takes longer than that, probably is an emergency. Oh well.
Old 10-14-22, 11:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I changed the setting to allow 60 seconds (instead of the default 30) to cancel the warning. That should give me time to fish out my phone and respond. If it takes longer than that, probably is an emergency. Oh well.
That's what I did. I've never had a false alert with Angi other than the one or maybe two times I dropped my helmet while getting ready to ride. And at that time, the phone is easy to get out and cancel it.

Garmin on the other hand does give more false alerts. Many in the situation I described earlier. And when you are on the bike, in a hurry and perhaps briefly tired from the hard acceleration, the messages that Garmin presents on the phone are a tad confusing. I suppose that's their own concussion protocol to see how aware one is of what they are reading!
Old 10-14-22, 03:05 PM
bblair

That's what I did. I've never had a false alert with Angi other than the one or maybe two times I dropped my helmet while getting ready to ride. And at that time, the phone is easy to get out and cancel it.

Garmin on the other hand does give more false alerts.
From what I understand, Specialized only links with Wahoo units, not Garmin. Kinda like how I can't get an Apple Watch for my Google phone.

As long as I don't crash, it's all a moot point.
Old 10-18-22, 11:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

From what I understand, Specialized only links with Wahoo units, not Garmin. Kinda like how I can't get an Apple Watch for my Google phone.
None of the reply I made that you quoted even mentions connecting to a Wahoo or to a Garmin. Not sure why you bounced your reply off of that.

I thought the stuff you were talking about through out the entire thread was for making it easier for you to cancel false alerts. Which do happen, though much less for Angi. Does Wahoo not have a incident detection similar to Garmin's? Garmin's more likely to have false alerts than will Angi from my experience.

So this and the other time you said you'd cancel an alert after a wreck is a little odd to me. But you were saying them as quick quips, so maybe you didn't mean them to mean as much as I'm putting into them.

As long as I don't crash, it's all a moot point.
Old 10-19-22, 06:16 AM
bblair

None of the reply I made that you quoted even mentions connecting to a Wahoo or to a Garmin. Not sure why you bounced your reply off of that.

I thought the stuff you were talking about through out the entire thread was for making it easier for you to cancel false alerts. Which do happen, though much less for Angi. Does Wahoo not have a incident detection similar to Garmin's? Garmin's more likely to have false alerts than will Angi from my experience.

So this and the other time you said you'd cancel an alert after a wreck is a little odd to me. But you were saying them as quick quips, so maybe you didn't mean them to mean as much as I'm putting into them.
Sometimes my replies and quotes get mixed up or out of order. So it was just a general frustration with technology and gadgets.
Old 10-27-22, 04:44 PM
bblair

I final work, from Wahoo:

"
Thanks for your patience and help with this. One of our developers and testers were able narrow this down and unfortunately believe that this may be a bug with the Specialized Ride app for Android phones. We were able recreate this using an Android device, but worked fine with the iOS version. As the code and logs from the Android and iOS version of the Elemnt app checked out it is likely a good idea to double check with specialized to see if they can reproduce this error and find the cause of the bub."

The work around: don't crash. So far, so good.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-01-22, 09:28 AM
bblair

. Does Wahoo not have a incident detection similar to Garmin's? Garmin's more likely to have false alerts than will Angi from my experience.
Wahoo, at least my model, does not have incident detection. Hence, the Angi device. Supposedly.......you can link the Angi to the Wahoo so that you can confirm/reject the accident message going out from the screen, but it does not work. See explanation above.

Interestingly enough...I was riding with a friend a few weeks ago and his Garmin flew off when he went over a bump. No rider crash, but it did send out a notification email to his wife (good!). But she was out shopping and didn't see the message until much later in the day (not so good.) No word on how much she spent or whether or not the Garmin is ok.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-01-22, 01:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,665 Times in 2,497 Posts
Going a little OT, but Garmin makes it really easy to add apps to their devices. Maybe spesh didn't want to do it because the ones that can run apps also have fall detection, IDK.