Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Competition frame age and value

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-22, 03:00 PM
bikemikemi
Mike from Troy MI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Raleigh Competition frame 241/2 fram pain and legs are great. How do determine age and value trying to sell for a widow
Old 11-05-22, 04:03 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemikemi
I have a Raleigh Competition frame 241/2 fram pain and legs are great. How do determine age and value trying to sell for a widow
Pics would be helpful....also local sale or Bay?
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 11-05-22, 04:48 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
There are vintage catalogs available online. If you post photos to your gallery we can access them there. A lot depends on condition and the large size might be a limiting factor. It is in some markets.

Here's some help to get started:

https://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_cat_70_80.html
Old 11-05-22, 09:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemikemi
...the Raleigh Competition name was used on a number of iterations of Raleigh production bikes, and there was even a Raleigh USA Competition, that was in turn different. But yes, if you can follow the suggestions given above, it would help to get better answers.
Old 11-06-22, 01:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Part of the value of a bike is your marketing skills. Ability to take GREAT pictures, write a great ad, describe it well. Bikes commonly sell for a fraction of fair market value. No bike shop is going to give you fair market value and most buyers have no imagination. I routinely find bikes for sale at about 25% of fair market value, and many have been for sale for a month or longer. Why? Lousy pictures, no sizing information, poor description, dirty, old rotten and flat tires, and so on. Buyers that can see past those shortcomings tend to get hefty discounts.

So I would take any estimate of "what this bike is worth" with a grain of salt. Getting FMV can be quite challenging. And convenient, local sales tend to go below FMV. I've sold hundreds of bikes way below FMV because they were easier sales.

Exact year is nice to know but doesn't have much impact on value.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-06-22 at 03:02 PM.