Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Location tracking

Old 11-18-22, 02:52 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Agree with the others - it can be very easy to lose cell service. I'm in Connecticut - even in Southern New England, a pretty populated area, you can lose service. On the lighter note, I do tell her where I'll be parking the car so at least she can recover that even if I can't be found.
Old 11-18-22, 02:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Agree with the others - it can be very easy to lose cell service. I'm in Connecticut - even in Southern New England, a pretty populated area, you can lose service. On the lighter note, I do tell her where I'll be parking the car so at least she can recover that even if I can't be found.
I have intermittent cell service in my living room, a town of 40,000 in a county with millions.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-20-22, 04:48 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Timely article in the Wall Street Journal regarding the iphone satellite tracking (iphone owners I'm sure knew this!). Article also refers to inreach and SPOT. To the points made earlier, there looks to be some fast-evolving tech in this space. inreach and SPOT do have the advantage of sending messages to contacts but I'd expect Apple and the Android counterparts to get that capability on their phones, too, at some point in the future.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-...3dzSTeNaOB53vw