Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Tapping Bottle Cage mount

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 06:25 AM
anthonygeo

Bikes: Kickbike, Raleigh M60, Electra Cruiser, Marin Nail Trail, Schwinn Hinge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have any of you tried taping the frame to add a bottle cage? I've read mostly MTB folks saying not to. I'm trying to avoid zip ties or those clamp mounts. If it's not safe I'll just go another route. The LBS says I'd have to get it done at a machine shop but I'm confident I could do it.
Old 05-06-14, 06:56 AM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ultimately, it depends upon the bike, and where you plan to drill. You haven't provided that information. So I'll say there is a 95% probability that the answer is NO, unless your frame is carbon, in which case the answer is 100% NO.

Nearly every bike that has bottle cage mounts uses reinforced bosses brazed, welded or molded into the frame. This provides reinforcement to compensate for the increased stress around the holes. And it provides enough material thickness to have enough threads to avoid stripping them when tightening the cage bolts. If you just drill and tap into the frame, there is a good chance the threads won't hold, and the possibility that your frame will develop fatigue cracks at some point, especially if it is aluminum or titanium.
Old 05-06-14, 07:07 AM
anthonygeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's steel and I was thinking about tapping in the typical area on the seat tube.
Old 05-06-14, 07:10 AM
anthonygeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I reused an old reflector mount but the bottle shakes a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (89.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-06-14, 09:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you drill a bigger hole , then you can expand a Riv-Nut in the hole, its threaded . (a common way of doing such fittings in Aluminum)

+ there are several ways to temporarily strap on a bottle cage, two Fish uses a velcro strap and a half round rubber block.
Old 05-06-14, 10:10 AM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bottle cage installation with riv nuts
Old 05-06-14, 01:41 PM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If it's steel, and you use Rivnuts or similar threaded fasteners, you've improved your chances of success. Not having threads cut directly into the frame reduces the stress concentration considerably, though the enlarged hole offsets that to some degree. I'm no expert on the stress distribution in a bicycle frame, but I'd imagine the seat tube is a better place to experiment than the down tube. Two things to watch out for when using Rivnuts: choose the same material for the Rivnut as the frame to avoid galvanic corrosion; and avoid drilling the hole oversize to avoid having the Rivnut work loose and spin in the hole.

EDIT: I watched the video. The use of JB Weld Epoxy on the Rivnut is probably good insurance to keep moisture out of the frame and reduce the risk of the insert working loose. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 05-06-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 03:04 PM
anthonygeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pretty cool thanks for the video!
Old 05-06-14, 03:19 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I'm sure the Riv Nuts would work, but........ something in my head says that stressed bike frame tubes aint the place for drilling and crimping. I could be wrong, and it could last safely for years, but um.....
Old 05-06-14, 04:51 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Riv nuts... I did one bike about 20 years ago and it is still chugging along. Steel frame.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-06-14, 05:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the crimping, shortening, in length is making it do an expansion in diameter.. pushes out into the hole.
Old 05-07-14, 06:36 AM
anthonygeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So is the rivnut threaded?
Old 05-07-14, 08:47 AM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anthonygeo
Yes. Rivnuts work somewhat like pop rivets. The installation tool has a threaded mandrel that the Rivnut is threaded onto. Once the Rivnut is inserted and compressed, the part of the Rivnut on the "back" side of the hole flares to lock it in place. Then, the mandrel is unthreaded from the installed Rivnut. Unlike pop rivets, the OD of the Rivnut typically does not expand to fill the hole. If it did, the threaded ID would also grow, which would make for very loose threads. This is why the hole needs to be drilled accurately. In a former career, I used quite a lot of Rivnuts on steel sheetmetal work. The best we could achieve was about a 90% success rate of having them installed without spinning in the hole. Odds on a round-section bike tube may be higher, as the shape of the tube might act as a key to keep them from working loose. The epoxy idea might help there, as well.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 05-07-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 11:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I'm sure the Riv Nuts would work, but........ something in my head says that stressed bike frame tubes aint the place for drilling and crimping. I could be wrong, and it could last safely for years, but um.....
Bikes have had seat and down rubes drilled and tapped for bottle cages or other applications for eons. Assuming one uses good practice, any frame can be safely drilled for a riv-nut, or a bonded thread insert. Tapping the tube directly usually isn't an option because there's not enough wall thickness.

Builders don't have any magic formulas,or secret methods for drilling holes, and you can do the same as them --- if you do it right.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-07-14, 11:55 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Bikes have had seat and down rubes drilled and tapped for bottle cages or other applications for eons.
Weird. I didn't know there were power tools a billion years ago.
Old 05-07-14, 06:28 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by anthonygeo
Yes...

I also like the idea of setting them in epoxy (JB Weld). I did not do that with mine, but they grabbed hold and held tight. I don't own that bike any more but I still see it occasionally.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-07-14, 06:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by the_tool_man
In a former career, I used quite a lot of Rivnuts on steel sheetmetal work. The best we could achieve was about a 90% success rate of having them installed without spinning in the hole. .....
If the application ever comes up again, coat the back of the sheet stock with coarse lapping compound. When the riv-nut begins to compress it presses the grit into the rim and sheet stock, forming a mechanical lock which will keep it from spinning.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-26-21, 02:43 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
HERE IS A GREAT SOLUTION THAT INVOLVES NO DRILLING AND THIS BOTTLE CAGE WILL REMAIN SECURE AS LONG AS YOU use "Super Weatherstripping Adhesive" (comes in small tube, available at auto parts stores such as Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Advance, and others.....specific brand names will be 3M -or- Permatex..., possibly others....YOU DEFINITELY DO WANT THE PRODUCT THAT SPECIFICALLY STATES "super weatherstripping adhesive" !! )

This is the Specific Bottle Cage that you want to buy, it is inexpensive and Walmart & Target have been known to carry it. I have installed this exact particular Zefal pulse UNIVERSAL Mount BOTTLE CAGE With VELCRO STRAP upc code 7 68661 55039 4
on to more than twenty bicycles using "SUPER WEATHERSTRIPPING ADHESIVE" applied to the thick rubber universal mounting block that is part of this Zefal cage.
It is my opinion that if you simply try to use and install this Zefal cage with only the velcro straps tightened & WITHOUT ANY SUPER WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE, you will get generally poor results as the cage will move & slide under most riding conditions!!
IF YOU APPLY "super weatherstripping adhesive" before you attach it to the bike and then pull the velcro straps tight......the cage mount WILL NOT MOVE!
You can also choose if you wish to use a different cage than the black zefal one that is supplied. On several KOOL LEMON colored early seventies Women's step through COLLEGIATES, I obtained matching yellow colored cages frrom various web sources, and the appearance result was fantastic. This Zefal product has two 3mm Allen key headed screws that you can unscrew to remove the supplied black cage, and then probably swap many other cages.
The thick rubber universal mounting block is very well made and looks great when installed and the excess velcro strap is cut down such that only enough remains to secure it without any excess overhang. NOW ON THIS zefal PRODUCT'S CARBOARD PACKAGING it says "FITS MOST BIKE FRAMES".............my guess is that it might do fine or okay as supplied WITHOUT "super weatherstripping adhesive" on possibly bicycles with fat diameter tubing, but it is my experience that for classic old steel bikes with narrower diameter tubing, YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED TO BUY "super weather adhesive" and APPLY THAT TO THE RUBBER UNIVERSAL MOUNTING BLOCK before cinching tight the velcro straps.
You can probably find this Zefal pulse Universal Mount Bottle Cage with Velcro Strap on Amazon too. I bought all of the ones that I installed from my local Target & Walmart stores. Three different people asked me recently about what & how I attached the bottle cages to some of my vintage bicycles. I thought I would mention this solution again here on bikeforums. You do need the small tube of "super weatherstripping adhesive" from one of your local auto parts stores!!!
Old 12-04-21, 10:25 PM
Js760

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
It seems much easier to go with something like a fidlock and just epoxy the bracket to the frame. No drilling necessary.
Old 12-10-21, 01:19 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zefal-Pul...lack/239504228

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069430/

Bottles & Cages ? Zéfal USA

********* SEE POST #18 ***********
Likes For Vintage Schwinn: