Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seat Tube Confusion

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Seat Tube Confusion

Old 03-25-21, 03:29 PM
brandon_lafave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat Tube Confusion

I'm embarking on designing my first frame and ordering the tubes and such and I'm having a hard time understanding when/if a seat tube collar is needed. I'm trying to find the right seat tube to buy and just a bit confused. I'm building a SS Mtb and the BikeCad model I'm going off of has a bent ST which has been hard to find. I found one on frame builder supply but it's external butted which I don't know if I need a seat tube collar with it. I'm diving straight in but need to learn a lot!
Old 03-25-21, 03:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
More specific info needed. Steel or other material? Is SS mtB a single speed or a Stainless Steel reference? How about the found ST dimensional specs? Andy
Old 03-25-21, 04:05 PM
brandon_lafave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
More specific info needed. Steel or other material? Is SS mtB a single speed or a Stainless Steel reference? How about the found ST dimensional specs? Andy
Thanks Andy! Steel single speed mtb. The ST length is 450mm
Old 03-25-21, 04:30 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
If it's external butted you can just TIG weld right onto that. That's basically why they do that. Obviously make sure you cut any extra tube you don't need off the bottom so you're keeping the fat bit that you need

Then you can just leave a bit of ST sticking up above the TT and stays so you can cut a slot and either just buy a collar to clamp the seat-post or weld on some kind of a pinch-bolt. I leave 48mm of extension which works well but you probably don't need that much.
Old 03-25-21, 04:57 PM
brandon_lafave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
If it's external butted you can just TIG weld right onto that. That's basically why they do that. Obviously make sure you cut any extra tube you don't need off the bottom so you're keeping the fat bit that you need

Then you can just leave a bit of ST sticking up above the TT and stays so you can cut a slot and either just buy a collar to clamp the seat-post or weld on some kind of a pinch-bolt. I leave 48mm of extension which works well but you probably don't need that much.
This is great. Thank you!