Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 08:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How crooked does a doc need to be to prescribe this stuff for athletic performance? Wouldn't this pretty much be against the law in France and most of Europe?

Even if not on the dope list yet, it's still an issue with you don't "need" this at all for a medical condition.
Just read what this is, and it sounds wonderful. I kind of wish I had it.
Old 10-25-21, 12:38 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Last lexan up. Windows caulked. Expandable foam in all big gaps. Last flooring in. Disassembled patio couches to rearrange. Lamp and heater in. Spiders evicted. However small cute they were.

Last task is remove an in house sensor on the hall bath and place on patio door for the security system. It cares not what door it is on.

Then move in the trainer and old 42 inch TV. And other stuff.

Close……
lol. I just called the vendor yesterday to see what color vinyl we ordered.

Privacy on street side, tinted the other two.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 10-25-21, 12:41 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
what's wrong with pink?
didn't match kit.

But more importantly, it wasnt aero. Tucked under the stretchy sleeve made me feel better about wearing it.

It was the first time trial I'd done in... 29 years?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-26-21, 08:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I get that opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and it often stinks. And that I'm also often wrong. But dang, the rest of BF can be a troll fred-fest dumpster fire sometimes. It's one thing to just enjoy bikes no matter what, it's another to adopt "fred under the bridge" troll status. Some of the crap on the regular part of the forum is exhausting mentally.

I get Slowtwitch has its share, but given the barrier to entry over there is already being an endurance sport participant.........I feel it weeds out more of the troll crap. The signal to noise ratio is better.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-26-21, 05:28 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
we do a pretty good job of ignoring the other parts of the forum and not inviting conflict by trash talking it. historically when it does go on it hasn't met with much success with the moderation team.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-26-21, 05:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,645 Posts
I will second both of those comments. The 33 has been a pretty high S/N ratio subforum. Relatively speaking, of course. It's a ****show in other parts of bf.net. The quality of this subforum is kinda self-fulfilling in a way, since when we do get some crap that bleeds into here, it often gets reported or otherwise chased out with pitchforks and torches. My threshold for it here is lower than elsewhere.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-26-21, 10:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Some don't chase away so easily.
Junior got 1st bike in his 1st Triathlon with 500 participants and won his 18-24 age group early this month in TX. Swimming and running got in the way of a better open time. The transitions really got in the way.

He is doing this (front) now 4X a week but still 9 months before he knows what equipment (plane) he will get.
Old 10-26-21, 10:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Haha never leave us Doge! Glad to hear puppy doge is still doing endurance sports as time permits.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-27-21, 07:46 AM
topflightpro

Hey Doge. Has Daniel looked into the Military Endurance Sports team? I don't know much about it, but I do know several guys who are on it. I believe it is open to active, reserve and retired military.

I remember reading about one guy who I think was living and working in a missile silo and he found a way to set up a bike and rollers in there to train while on duty. (I may not have all these details correct.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-27-21, 07:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Some don't chase away so easily.
Junior got 1st bike in his 1st Triathlon with 500 participants and won his 18-24 age group early this month in TX. Swimming and running got in the way of a better open time. The transitions really got in the way.

He is doing this (front) now 4X a week but still 9 months before he knows what equipment (plane) he will get.
T-6 looks like? Does he want to go fighter/bomber or airlift/tanker?
Old 10-27-21, 07:49 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Flatballer
T-6 looks like? Does he want to go fighter/bomber or airlift/tanker?
Yes, T6. Did you fly one?
His competitive self thinks fighter, his practical self thinks some heavy, but not tanker.
Old 10-27-21, 08:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Yes, T6. Did you fly one?
His competitive self thinks fighter, his practical self thinks some heavy, but not tanker.
Hah, no, I considered it for a while. Was pretty involved in AF JROTC in high school, did week long officer candidate stuff, wanted to go to the Academy. Eventually decided the military probably wasn't for me. But yeah, I wanted to be a fighter pilot, like 90% of boys out there.

Fighter is definitely the fun way to go, airlift is certainly more practical. I have a friend from my JROTC days who flies C-130s, he seems happy. Another friend from those days became a helicopter pilot for black military contractor types. I have no comment on what I think of that.
Old 10-27-21, 08:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Is it easier to convert to airline pilot from C-130 (or similar) after one gets out than it is to go from fighter jet?
Old 10-30-21, 09:02 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by himespau
Is it easier to convert to airline pilot from C-130 (or similar) after one gets out than it is to go from fighter jet?
The word was - yes (source - older ex military pilots). Now, the word is no (source - general discussion and what the military is saying) as there is such a demand for pilots. USAF is having trouble keeping them and offering incentives. The fighter pilots tend to stay in longer (maybe hard to top flight a fighter??). It takes some time to learn the aircraft and get a pilots license. That was news - these pilots are often not commercially licensed.

IMO - it is more about do you want to manage a crew on board and some 300-400 passengers. Some of the ex fighter guys just do completely other stuff than fly. Some are cyclists.
Likes For Doge:
Old 10-30-21, 11:32 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
The word was - yes (source - older ex military pilots). Now, the word is no (source - general discussion and what the military is saying) as there is such a demand for pilots. USAF is having trouble keeping them and offering incentives. The fighter pilots tend to stay in longer (maybe hard to top flight a fighter??). It takes some time to learn the aircraft and get a pilots license. That was news - these pilots are often not commercially licensed.

IMO - it is more about do you want to manage a crew on board and some 300-400 passengers. Some of the ex fighter guys just do completely other stuff than fly. Some are cyclists.
I'm sure flying a fighter is more fun than hauling around executives and tourists.

Fighter pilot plus engineering or medicine use to be the path to astronaut... now they accept lame geologists.

I would rather board a ship with a captain that knows a lot about flying and a little about rocks than one who knows a lot about rocks and can barely fly.
Old 10-30-21, 05:29 PM
carpediemracing 

An example of what part of my workday is like (cross post from Facebook):

I try to teach the guys at work general stuff because, you know, kids.
We were making a second batch of coffee and as I was carefully rinsing out the hot glass coffee carafe I asked one guy if he knew not to put cold water into hot glass, really any extreme temperature difference stuff with glass.
"Yeah, I learned that..."
(In science class, I was thinking, because I learned it in chemistry in middle school)
"...from my brother because I used to leave my bongs outside in the winter and he told me not to light that s**t 'cause it'll crack."

And by "kids", I'm talking they're in their 20s.
Old 10-30-21, 08:31 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
An example of what part of my workday is like (cross post from Facebook):

I try to teach the guys at work general stuff because, you know, kids.
We were making a second batch of coffee and as I was carefully rinsing out the hot glass coffee carafe I asked one guy if he knew not to put cold water into hot glass, really any extreme temperature difference stuff with glass.
"Yeah, I learned that..."
(In science class, I was thinking, because I learned it in chemistry in middle school)
"...from my brother because I used to leave my bongs outside in the winter and he told me not to light that s**t 'cause it'll crack."

And by "kids", I'm talking they're in their 20s.
Sadly, even heat-shock proof glass like Pyrex has degraded and will shatter if not careful. The old stuff is way better and is actually collected.
Old 10-31-21, 09:01 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

RE: pilot stuff... yeah I'm a bit confused as to how a geologist is on the shortlist to become an astronaut. I mean all that analysis can be done post-trip and it seems like an engineer or doctor might be more critical to the front-line success of an outerspace mission.

I was actually a declared Geology (BS) major before switching to chemistry. Geology rocks! (pun intended). I thought it would be cool to have a fixed field/lab job where I could collect physical samples outside, and bring them back to a lab for elemental analysis. Turns out that I have become an expert in the elemental analysis part (ICP mass spec), although in a chemistry setting.

Enthalpic as you know, geology is at the top of modern technologies for ICP-MS, requiring high res, multi-collector instruments to use minor variances in isotopic abundance for aging and other determinations. Not to mention the sample prep, REE overlap with mid mass elements and other challenges. We've collaborated a lot with a specific group at the Colorado School of Mines (Ranville group) who helped develop single-particle acquisition and data processing technology for environmental nanoparticles, using bimetallic core-shell or composite structures from us. Perkin now sells a consumable nebulizer standard as well for sp-ICP work that I helped develop.

#geekstatus thread
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-31-21, 09:05 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I think I've posted about this earlier, but I've just done a soft release of a neat group ride organizing webapp to some members of my club. might not be the best time to release a group ride app in the fall lol, but actually it's a decent way to get a small test group to test and maybe push out to the public in the spring. It supports multiple clubs, and basically someone can put in the ride details and upload a route and folks can see the details along with a map and route profile and then click to RSVP, and see who else has indicated attendance. There's some very basic club administrator stuff in there too (basically just to remove people from their club roster and the ability to add administrators). One thing on my wish list is to integrate payment to allow clubs to allow member registration and pay dues. The big question I'll have, once it's somewhat polished, is what's a fair amount to charge clubs to access this service on a yearly basis, but don't want to put the cart before the horse!
Old 10-31-21, 01:57 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by TMonk
RE: pilot stuff... yeah I'm a bit confused as to how a geologist is on the shortlist to become an astronaut. I mean all that analysis can be done post-trip and it seems like an engineer or doctor might be more critical to the front-line success of an outerspace mission.

I was actually a declared Geology (BS) major before switching to chemistry. Geology rocks! (pun intended). I thought it would be cool to have a fixed field/lab job where I could collect physical samples outside, and bring them back to a lab for elemental analysis. Turns out that I have become an expert in the elemental analysis part (ICP mass spec), although in a chemistry setting.

Enthalpic as you know, geology is at the top of modern technologies for ICP-MS, requiring high res, multi-collector instruments to use minor variances in isotopic abundance for aging and other determinations. Not to mention the sample prep, REE overlap with mid mass elements and other challenges. We've collaborated a lot with a specific group at the Colorado School of Mines (Ranville group) who helped develop single-particle acquisition and data processing technology for environmental nanoparticles, using bimetallic core-shell or composite structures from us. Perkin now sells a consumable nebulizer standard as well for sp-ICP work that I helped develop.

#geekstatus thread
Functionalized nanoparticles with high resolution MS can do pretty much everything; just attach a antibody or a selective ligand...
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 10-31-21, 02:26 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TMonk
... Colorado School of Mines ...
We nudged my son that direction, but no...
My wife was at ARCO for some 14 years and this was a top school to recruit from. They were also in the same collegiate region as my kid's college, so I got to superficially know a few. Also, kid's junior team LUX director, Roy Knickman was accepted there. He chose to be a pro cyclist instead.
That is one of the fewer application based colleges.

Last edited by Doge; 11-01-21 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 11-01-21, 07:16 AM
topflightpro

Going back to the fighter pilot stuff, from what I hear from friends and former work colleagues, it's not nearly as exciting as it may seem. Yes, you can go fast, and yes, the planes are highly maneuverable, but dog fights like we saw on Top Gun or in WWII, just don't happen.

A buddy of mine was the intelligence officer for F-18s. He said that basically, the pilots took off with their route programmed in. Once in the air, they would just watch "films" while the plane flew the recorded route. Bombs dropped at the scheduled point. Then they circled back to the air craft carrier. In his 3 or 4 years on the air craft carrier during the war in Iraq, he said not a single one of his planes was challenged by anything.

Even on commercial flights now, I hear that most pilots are just there in case something happens. The auto pilot systems are so advanced, the planes can pretty much do it all via computers.
Old 11-01-21, 12:24 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Had to fix a few leaks on my install. Freaking rain decides to blow at 20mph wind right on the wall of patio windows I put in and found some weaknesses. Just going to maybe accept it since all is treated, rubber, waterproof stuff. It's like 4 oz of water after a 3 inch an hour rain with 20 to 30mph winds. Basically wind blew the rain into the window slide bottoms and it then dripped out inside. My bad installing vertical windows sideways to cover my screened in porch openings. I'll drill a little weep hole on the outside part, done.

Ordered a swivel TV mount for the old 42" tv. Swivel one side, Zwift. Other side, guy's movie night so you can see from couches.

Need to glue up the spare security sensor and will then move the stuff out there. Remote for the fan and heater work from inside, so can take a piss early AM for a morning ride and hit the buttons and let it warmup while I drink coffee when it's cold. I hope first ride in it this weekend coming up.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-01-21, 06:00 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Going back to the fighter pilot stuff, from what I hear from friends and former work colleagues, it's not nearly as exciting as it may seem. Yes, you can go fast, and yes, the planes are highly maneuverable, but dog fights like we saw on Top Gun or in WWII, just don't happen.....
As a parent, I hope it remains completely boring and I agree the Top Gun stuff does not happen vs an enemy. The primary F35 is a flying network. The training is the dangerous part.

I think it is a bit safer than bike racing (or training) and right now he is getting some turning rides/and flying. They fly in an area where there are no commercial planes allowed. Same is true near PHX where Luke AFB runs the Barry Goldwater Range (Barry M. Goldwater Range celebrates 75 Years > Luke Air Force Base > Article Display (af.mil)) and then much of N AZ including the Grand Canyon. Junior was scheduling the flights last year for his Singapore squadron and they got to play/train a lot.

Cycling related/unrelated both lung capacity (I don't know why) and lower body mass are seen as positives. I'm told tensing lower muscle mass really helps not blacking out. The mass is too hard to feed now in cycling. In an incentive ride, he got 8gs in and F16 over Grand Canyon. That little T6 holds continuous 4-5g turns and they are also working on stalls etc.

If he ever gets to the Death Valley Star Wars Canyon, I'll be going to seeing that "time trial" (I am aware the Navy lost a pilot here in 2019).
Likes For Doge:
Old 11-02-21, 07:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Moved the trainer stuff to the patio. I got greedy trying it out and instead of waiting on the tv mount from Amazon tomorrow hung it. I had it in the shed stored with some cable ties through a mounting hole. I felt they should hold fine for now. Well, cable tie pulled itself out of the little end and it fell right as I crested the Zwift KOM 20min climb. Somehow it survived and didn't hit anything in the fall. Idiot.

Setup should work nice for the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.