Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter for NYC

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter for NYC

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 11:38 AM
Drizzo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Commuter for NYC

I'd like to say in advance that I've ridden the same bike for a long time and love riding but I'm not very knowledgeable about terminology or general trends. Apologies if I use the wrong words/phrases.

So I'm (unfortunately) moving back to Brooklyn after a long hiatus upstate during Covid. I was planning on taking my Dad's old Bridgestone MB-5 which I've used for years, but he had a sudden change of heart. Now I'm looking at other bikes on my local craigslist and there arent many good commuter/hybrids/mountain bike options, which is what I'm trying to find. The goal is to get something similar to the MB-5. There are, however, some decent road bikes. Two that are sticking out are a Centurion Comp TA (21" frame) and a Fuji 313 TE (23" frame). My general question is if it would be a bad idea to change the stem/handlebars to be a sitting position more like a commuter/hybrid. I'm 6'1" so although the 21" centurion would typically be too small for me in road bike terms, would it logically fit me if I changed the seating position to be more upright? or is that not how bike geometry works and I should just wait for something more along the lines of what I want? Obviously I would need to sit on them and see for myself, but they're pretty far away so I figured I would ask here first to see what you all thought.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-21, 02:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
It costs a few hundred ($200 maybe) to swap bars, shifter/brake levers, bar grips, etc...,,. Probably better to locate a hybrid or older non suspended mt. bike, though note confirmation that since the pandemic, it's a seller's market in used bikes and slim pickings.
Old 08-02-21, 02:33 PM
Drizzo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Makes sense, thanks for the reply. I'm suddenly in a rush because I'm moving back next week and would rather buy a bike here then something thats been ridden on pothole filled city roads.

I just found a bridgestone 300 for $125 thats in great condition and fits me. I think I'm just going to buy that and bring it over to a local bike shop to see what they can do.
Likes For Drizzo:
Old 08-02-21, 03:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Although not related to any bike you mention for conversion, I have built quite a few of these. For $600 they're a pretty hard deal to beat.

I think I'd lace in a Nexus 7 or an Alfine 8 with a roller brake to avoid the cheap derailleur/freewheel. But, you can always cross that bridge when you get there. They really, really come close to hitting the mark for the perfect a super durable, low cost, all weather commuter straight outta the box.

At $2-300 for something used then an equal amount for a conversion...I dunno, a brand new Momentum would save an aweful lot of effort & heartache.

Last edited by base2; 08-02-21 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 03:14 AM
donoharm

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drizzo
I'd like to say in advance that I've ridden the same bike for a long time and love riding but I'm not very knowledgeable about terminology or general trends. Apologies if I use the wrong words/phrases.

So I'm (unfortunately) moving back to Brooklyn after a long hiatus upstate during Covid. I was planning on taking my Dad's old Bridgestone MB-5 which I've used for years, but he had a sudden change of heart. Now I'm looking at other bikes on my local craigslist and there arent many good commuter/hybrids/mountain bike options, which is what I'm trying to find. The goal is to get something similar to the MB-5. There are, however, some decent road bikes. Two that are sticking out are a Centurion Comp TA (21" frame) and a Fuji 313 TE (23" frame). My general question is if it would be a bad idea to change the stem/handlebars to be a sitting position more like a commuter/hybrid. I'm 6'1" so although the 21" centurion would typically be too small for me in road bike terms, would it logically fit me if I changed the seating position to be more upright? or is that not how bike geometry works and I should just wait for something more along the lines of what I want? Obviously I would need to sit on them and see for myself, but they're pretty far away so I figured I would ask here first to see what you all thought.

Thanks in advance!
priority bicycles is a good “local” commuter bike brand.
Old 08-03-21, 08:07 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I think if I were in this hypothetical, I might start by riding Citi bikes and looking around at what other people are riding (including the subway). NYC contains multitudes and fashion is a real thing.

noglider might have a thought for you
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-03-21, 08:36 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
... if you are looking for an old mountain bike specifically, Bridgestone was a pretty small brand. You can probably far more easily find a Trek, Specialized, Diamondback, or Univega
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-06-21, 02:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Drizzo
Makes sense, thanks for the reply. I'm suddenly in a rush because I'm moving back next week and would rather buy a bike here then something thats been ridden on pothole filled city roads.

I just found a bridgestone 300 for $125 thats in great condition and fits me. I think I'm just going to buy that and bring it over to a local bike shop to see what they can do.
Whatever you get, make sure it looks like Hell and runs like Heaven; covering it with stickers is popular. This will help make it less interesting to bike thieves.
Old 10-12-21, 08:32 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I just got this for a friend. We are both in Manhattan. Jamis Coda Sport with Campa 2x10.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-12-21, 11:55 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If it's a beater bike you're looking for in a size that fits, I've been riding a 61cm (24" measured center-to-center - ~63cm center-to-top, not quite 25") Centurion Signet that's a little too large for me. I only mention this because my antennae went up when I read that you're 6'1" and looking for a bike and may or may not have found something that fits you well. If not, might you be interested in a trade?

I would have sent you a private message about the possibility of working a deal but you're new and need to post more messages here before you can send and receive a PM.

My bike's appearance is scratched up and nothing to scream about. It has all the scars that you might expect from living in New York City. It's a high-tensile steel frame. I've put on reflective stickers that are not color-coordinated with the frame.

But it serve its purpose as a commuter bike though and, when it comes to the drive train, I've made changes where it matters. For me anyway.

So, I've told you all the reasons why you wouldn't want this bike. Now I'll tell you why you might.

The wheelset originally had Mavic MA narrow 700c rims front and back but, when I learned that this rim has the same ERD as a wider Sun CR-18 rim, I changed the rim on the rear wheel but decided to leave the front wheel alone. The rear wheel has a 7-speed freehub on which I have a 13-28 7-speed cassette - not a freewheel. The rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore that will allow using cassettes having larger cogs if that might be your inclination.

The crankset is a Shimano with 53- and 39-tooth chainrings. This setup gets me over the New York City bridges, most recently over the Williamsburg Bridge.

The bike also has Planet Bike fenders and a rear pannier rack that I use all the time but loses more style points. I've recently replaced the tires with Schwalbe Marathon Pluses, 28mm in front and 32mm in back, both having reflective strips.

I used to be too stretched out when this bike had a drop handlebar but I've made it work by replacing this with a riser bar and (short-pull) brake levers intended for cantilever brakes.

You've mentioned that you've gotten a Bridgestone 300 that fits you at a good price. If it's the same size as my Signet, there's little-to-no incentive for possibly doing a trade. You would be taking a step down, going from cro-moly to high-ten steel, in terms of frame material. I would have to put in a bit of work just to get a bike back to the functionality that I already had but not extraordinarily better. I don't if I would want to have 27" wheels if you may have if the bike still has the wheels that it's specced for.

A trade would only make sense if each of us has a bike that might be a better fit for the other.

I'll take pictures in the morning to show you if you might have any interest.

Cheers

Last edited by estasnyc; 10-13-21 at 12:00 AM.