Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks B17 Saddle+Gel shorts

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-24-19, 05:41 PM
Love_Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it a bad idea to wear padded shorts on a Brooks saddle? The gel seat on a smooth saddle does not make a good grip for my butt in the seat. Thanks
Old 10-24-19, 06:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Love_Bikes
Is it a bad idea to wear padded shorts on a Brooks saddle? The gel seat on a smooth saddle does not make a good grip for my butt in the seat. Thanks
I almost always wear padded shorts on my Brooks saddles. I do not have any grip, my shorts easily slide on the saddle which does not bother me.

The rare times when I do not have padded shorts is for short errands to the store or something like that.
Old 10-24-19, 07:25 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
My butt hurts on my brooks saddle after 1.5 hours when without shorts. Shorter rides than that, I don't wear padded shorts. Longer than that, I would wear them, but then I have to readjust the saddle height to lower it by around 4 or 5mm because of the extra height from the pads. Brooks saddles are slippy slidey whether or not I wear padded shorts. I actually prefer it that way so that my skin can freely move wherever it needs to go. With padded shorts, I get a slight discomfort after 2 hours but it's bearable.
Old 10-24-19, 07:28 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Yep, I wear padded shorts (actually padded underwear things) on my B-17 almost always.
Old 10-24-19, 07:34 PM
Love_Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read that brooks saddle adjust's to your butt bones once broken-into and so, wearing a padded short defeats that purpose? Thank you for the suggestions on not wearing padded shorts during shorter rides. Excellent idea!
Old 10-24-19, 07:54 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I read that brooks saddle adjust's to your butt bones once broken-into and so, wearing a padded short defeats that purpose? Thank you for the suggestions on not wearing padded shorts during shorter rides. Excellent idea!
The padded shorts are not thick enough to prevent your saddle from breaking in to your body shape.
Old 10-25-19, 06:41 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
always wear padded bike shorts unless commuting short distances.
and as brought up, the "slideyness" of a leather seat is part of why they are comfortable, less friction that leads to friction to skin--my experience anyway.
Old 10-26-19, 04:04 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
I'm not a big fan of gel anything. I have tried it and I don't feel any difference over a little padding with frictionless fabric.
A good saddle will over come "over padding". Yes, I have a Brooks C17 for my touring bike and can spend all day on the bike, where my other bikes have mid range saddles after a few hours start to hurt, with the same shorts.
Old 10-26-19, 04:48 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I always wear padded shorts on my Brooks and having the saddle at the right angle eliminates any tendency to slide forwards or back.
Old 10-26-19, 06:09 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I personally don't. I own an Imperial and have found it a lot more comfortable without either gel shorts or even a rain cover.
Old 10-27-19, 03:54 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I thought the whole point of spending $100+ on a Brooks, which also requires more care than a regular seat, was that it's supposed to just be comfortable. If you're wearing padded shorts anyway, why not just save yourself a lot of money and get a cheaper seat that you won't have to constantly worry about getting wet, dried out, etc...
Old 10-27-19, 04:36 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by 3speed
I thought the whole point of spending $100+ on a Brooks, which also requires more care than a regular seat, was that it's supposed to just be comfortable. If you're wearing padded shorts anyway, why not just save yourself a lot of money and get a cheaper seat that you won't have to constantly worry about getting wet, dried out, etc...
If you could simply wear padded shorts and that would be enough to turn any crappy saddle into something great, we could all have saved a lot of money and bought crappy saddles.

For a six or eight or ten or twelve hour day, I really want a good saddle AND padded shorts. My longest day this year was 12 hours, 36 minutes.

I do not constantly worry about it getting wet, when it starts raining I put on the rain cover. And in the evening in case of heavy dew I put on the rain cover. About once a year I put on some Proofide on the bikes I rode the most, but some years I forget to do it.
Old 10-27-19, 04:42 PM
djb

I agree, my skinny little keester prefers good cycling shirts shorts AND my comfy leather seats, but hey, that's me. I simply don't like having a sore donkey after a days ride.
Old 10-27-19, 10:31 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Also, I've cut my saddle to lower the bridge of the nose to relieve pressure on the perineum tissue and male organs, since the leather starts to sag a little bit after a while, causing the nose to rise. With the weakened structure, I added an extra row of lacing to the sides to pull them in. The extra cut works really well. Before I kept getting bumped by the bridge and was getting sore after only 30 minutes. Now there is almost zero contact with the bridge. I cut all the way to the tip of the metal plate under the nose. I tried 20 other plastic saddles which were either too narrow, too steep, too soft, or too sharp on the edges. So I came back to the Brooks and experimented with modifying it.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 10-27-19 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 10:42 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Padless shorts and a leather Brooks is all day comfort in the saddle. I've often wondered if it would be even more comfortable completely naked......the world may never know....
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 10-27-19, 10:59 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Unpadded shorts/undies can bunch up uncomfortably with any saddle, padded shorts help prevent that. One can buy shorts w/thinner padding if the saddle is otherwise comfy.
Old 10-28-19, 04:26 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I read that brooks saddle adjust's to your butt bones once broken-into and so, wearing a padded short defeats that purpose?
I've never heard that myself. I've got about 3k miles on my B17; at least 2k of those in padded shorts. A Brooks saddle isn't so special as to change the basic rules-of-thumb (rule of thumbs?).
Old 10-28-19, 04:38 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Yeah, it would be nice if such magic shorts existed. But alas. What a Brooks did for me was increase my max saddle time from around 3 hrs, to as long as I could stay out. (10-plus hours on many days with my ass being a non-issue.)

So far, I haven't had to give the Brooks any special care considerations. But I usually tour in the desert and don't ride from home in the rain.
Old 10-28-19, 05:12 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Padded shorts unless I'm on a short ride.

Sliding around is part fo the fun, isn't it?
Old 10-28-19, 07:21 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by I.B.Roots
Padded shorts unless I'm on a short ride.

Sliding around is part fo the fun, isn't it?
My Brooks B.17 didn't work out for me (nose & skirt too wide) but I kinda liked the smooth surface, let's one adjust position easily & doesn't grab shorts. I reckon if one is sliding out of position too much the saddle position needs to be adjusted.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 10-29-19, 03:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
My shorts have padding ... but I've never worn gel shorts.
Old 10-29-19, 09:05 AM
djb

As no one has mentioned this yet, gel shorts are pretty much a gimmick, similar to gel seat covers.
I would not recommend buying them, if they worked that well, they would be popular, but they are seldom seen and used.
Old 10-29-19, 05:33 PM
BikeWonder

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
As no one has mentioned this yet, gel shorts are pretty much a gimmick, similar to gel seat covers.
I would not recommend buying them, if they worked that well, they would be popular, but they are seldom seen and used.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of cyclists that use them competitively or touring.

Last edited by BikeWonder; 10-29-19 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 05:45 PM
djb

Originally Posted by BikeWonder
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of cyclists that use them competitively or touring.
If you say so, I'll check out more closely next time in a bike store. I was under the impression gel stuff was rarely seen in padded shorts and bibs.
I do have a 1990 avocet gel touring seat that fell apart ages ago, it was always kinda sweaty back in the day.
Old 10-29-19, 11:12 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
No offense, but the popularity of a product does not necessarily make it a good product.
A few examples from our past:
-The Pet Rock
-The Segway
-Google glasses
and of course the worst product that sold hundreds of thousands and may have even caused deaths:
The Singing Bass (Big Mouth Billy Bass)

I'm not saying that gel is bad, but I believe it has been over hyped, over used and put into poor quality products so any benefits it may offer are nil

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.