Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a stolen bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a stolen bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 11:18 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Buying a stolen bike

Browsing the local classifieds as I often do I spotted a Bianchi frame near me for sale. Not a super rare, super high end bike, but a nice older model that looks to be in good shape. First thing that sticks out is that there is a cable lock on the frame. Which leads me to look at the seller's other items and it's a little bit of everything, maybe they do a lot of garage sale buying, maybe they have a relative that passed recently. But the profile pic led me to not think good things about the seller, so I checked our local court records. The seller has a stack of charges, most are just traffic related, but there are a few drug charges mixed in, including possession of meth this year. So now what...I honestly wouldn't feel bad about buying the frame and taking it to the police to find out if the owner could be traced, but I really don't want a meth addict thief to know where I live. Is there a bicycle batman we can call to investigate?
Old 10-30-20, 11:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Contact law enforcement. That's their job.
Old 10-30-20, 11:23 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-30-20, 11:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Florida man.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-30-20, 11:44 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Assume nothing. I would ask the seller for the serial number and proceed accordingly.
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 10-30-20, 12:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Buy yourself a lottery ticket. If you win, you can buy any bicycle you want for yourself. The winning odds are roughly the same as that bike not having been stolen.
Old 10-30-20, 12:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Your "spidey" sense is tingling... listen to it.

If you have to ask ,you already know the answer.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-30-20, 01:25 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Not to be Captain Lawyer here, but if you suspect the bike is stolen, and purchase it, you are receiving stolen goods. You are not in the business of law enforcement, so your intentions to do good are not legally relevant (although likely would be highly relevant when it came to enforcement).

In other words, you're not the cops. Don't pretend to be the cops.

Call the cops.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 10-30-20, 01:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Answer: don't. If you think it's (likely) stolen, it probably is.

I just recently had my older, but still very nice, bike stolen -- from a locked garden shed. Replacement value would be around 2500 Cdn.

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll likely never get it back, but I'd still like to think that no reasonably knowledgeable cyclist would purchase it, either from the s**t-rat person who took it or from a pawn shop etc.
Likes For badger1:
Old 10-30-20, 01:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
If seller is indeed a meth-er you might be doing everyone a favor by buying his stuff. With enough cash, his next indulgence may be the one that fries him for good!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-30-20, 02:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Your "spidey" sense is tingling... listen to it.

If you have to ask ,you already know the answer.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-30-20, 02:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Wait, the guy is a bad driver and is one of the 14% or so who are active illegal drug users in the US?!
Well the bike is then obviouslying stolen.***
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-30-20, 02:49 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Podagrower
Browsing the local classifieds as I often do I spotted a Bianchi frame near me for sale. Not a super rare, super high end bike, but a nice oilder model that looks to be in good shape. First thing that sticks out is that there is a cable lock on the frame. Which leads me to look at the seller's other items and it's a little bit of everything, maybe they do a lot of garage sale buying, maybe they have a relative that passed recently. But the profile pic led me to not think good things about the seller, so I checked our local court records. The seller has a stack of charges, most are just traffic related, but there are a few drug charges mixed in, including possession of meth this year. So now what...I honestly wouldn't feel bad about buying the frame and taking it to the police to find out if the owner could be traced, but I really don't want a meth addict thief to know where I live. Is there a bicycle batman we can call to investigate?
ask him where he got the frame and that you would like to have the rest of the bike and let us know what he says
Old 10-30-20, 03:32 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Your "local classifieds"... is that an internet site? If so, can you share a link?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-30-20, 03:32 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wait, the guy is a bad driver and is one of the 14% or so who are active illegal drug users in the US?!
Because...
"Fifty to seventy percent of all property crimes are committed by meth addicts. This includes burglary, shoplifting, motor vehicle theft, arson and vandalism."
https://www.narconon.org/blog/narcon...eth-addiction/
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-30-20, 04:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would just walk away from it and forget that I even saw it. Go look somewhere else...Personally I wouldn't buy stolen property and it's not my job to investigate other people.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-30-20, 04:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Contact law enforcement. That's their job.
Police in my town wouldn't do anything about a maybe-stolen stolen bike frame for sale.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 10-30-20, 10:32 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Ask him if he knows what year it is, he won't. Then ask for the serial number so you can find out. If he ghosts you, it's stolen, if he gives it to you, probably not. Plus you could run it by the cops to be sure.
Old 10-30-20, 11:50 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Podagrower
Browsing the local classifieds as I often do I spotted a Bianchi frame near me for sale. Not a super rare, super high end bike, but a nice older model that looks to be in good shape. First thing that sticks out is that there is a cable lock on the frame. Which leads me to look at the seller's other items and it's a little bit of everything, maybe they do a lot of garage sale buying, maybe they have a relative that passed recently. But the profile pic led me to not think good things about the seller, so I checked our local court records. The seller has a stack of charges, most are just traffic related, but there are a few drug charges mixed in, including possession of meth this year. So now what...I honestly wouldn't feel bad about buying the frame and taking it to the police to find out if the owner could be traced, but I really don't want a meth addict thief to know where I live. Is there a bicycle batman we can call to investigate?
stay away
Old 10-31-20, 12:57 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I didn't know NarcAnon was such an authority on comprehensive crime statistics.

I also don't cheer for addicts to die of overdoses; it's as ****ty as hoping that people who drink die from cirrhosis, or that cyclists who proudly eschew sunscreen die of skin cancer.
Old 10-31-20, 01:13 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You probably can’t get very much meth for an old Taiwanese ten speed
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-31-20, 04:32 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I'll offer a counterpoint and say sure, go ahead and buy it. Any bike listed for sale has the potential to be stolen, and it's not your responsibility to make that determination. It's not like you're buying it out of the back of a van. It's listed publicly, and if you found it then so could the original owner and so could the police. You can't be accused of "trafficking in stolen goods" if it was publicly offered. Just save the original listing if you have any doubts. Go rescue that frame!
Old 10-31-20, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Kinda skipping the part about the cable lock, aren't you? That's pretty damn suspicious.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I'll offer a counterpoint and say sure, go ahead and buy it. Any bike listed for sale has the potential to be stolen, and it's not your responsibility to make that determination. It's not like you're buying it out of the back of a van. It's listed publicly, and if you found it then so could the original owner and so could the police. You can't be accused of "trafficking in stolen goods" if it was publicly offered. Just save the original listing if you have any doubts. Go rescue that frame!
Really dumb idea. If it gets seized as evidence, op will be out the money he paid for it. And I really don't want to argue the rather obvious moral issues you're just skipping over.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 05:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I didn't know NarcAnon was such an authority on comprehensive crime statistics.

I also don't cheer for addicts to die of overdoses; it's as ****ty as hoping that people who drink die from cirrhosis, or that cyclists who proudly eschew sunscreen die of skin cancer.
Some drug other than meth, this might be a more valid objection, but it has a really high addiction rate and while I wouldn't trust the precise statistic on proportions of property thieves, I find it difficult to believe that meth users aren't significantly more likely to be property thieves.

I don't cheer for a meth user to die, but I sure wouldn't buy a suspicious item from them. I don't know why someone would have a cable lock on a frame for sale, but I don't think it's something that's likely to occur if the frame was legitimately obtained.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.