Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ranger? bicycle identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-28-21, 03:37 PM
green3ac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I purchased this bicycle at an auction a few years ago, but I have never been able to identify the bike beyond what the head badge says. The head badge is silver with the word "Ranger" in black. The top tube says "Ranger 120DX" I have not been able to find anything that compares to it online despite numerous searches. Does anyone know anything about this bike?

Thanks
Old 01-28-21, 04:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

hello green3ac and welcome to the forum!

there have been Ranger badged cycles going back at least as far as The Great War.

name employed by multiple manufacturers through the years.

the "RANGER 120DX" sounds like a name for a department store and/or BMX machine.

unlikely you shall receive much meaningful assistance until such time as you are able to erect imagery of the beast.

if you are able to make photos but not post them you can upload them to your "member's album" and a moderator or helpful reader can bring them down and into the thread...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-28-21 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-21, 09:13 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I've got a bit of information on the brand. My understanding is that Ranger was one of Schwinn's Chicago competitors during the 1890's/1900's. By the late '60's, however, it had just become the house brand bicycle for the Marshall-Fields department stores. This one is a '69 according to the date on the S-A hub (12-68), and I'm assuming was probably the top of the line for the store at the time. It's the only one I've ever seen of that brand. As pictured, this is immediately after I finished the restoration, later adding a Plestcher rack, front and rear generation, heavier grips and replaced the saddle with a Rampar copy of a Schwinn Suburban saddle - all for my wife who occasionally rides the bike. Unfortunately, the original saddle was on the parts rack the night of the fire.

Hope this helps. It's at least one iteration of the Ranger brand.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker: